Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-24-2011, 10:59 AM   #11
Ze'Manel Cunha

Default Re: Can you solve this GURPS tactical problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Right now, rolling a 17 is zero wounds, 16 is 4-8 wounds. If I go to using random hit location over -2 for cover, it is 10+ is zero wounds, 9 for 4-8 wounds.
I'm still not sure what you mean.
Taking 10 shots at a skill of 16- all 10 of those shots will hit on a 13 or less, you get 9 hits on a roll of 16, and 8 hits on a roll of 17.
A roll of 18 should also be 8 hits but at that point you've got a crit failure on your hands as well, so you can play with the number of hits for the crit failure.

Quote:
I would like a wider range of possibilities.
You can always use less competent shooters, if they're average Joes with skills of 12-, instead of professional shooters with skills of 16+, they aren't going to hit as often.

Make sure that you're taking into account all the applicable modifiers, including lighting conditions and such though.

Quote:
The other idea I have is to label the hits something else. Lets call it scores. I set up a turn into 3 phases

I suppression fire phase
II declare action, movement phase
III firing phase

Firing is actually simultaneous. You roll for your scores, and they roll for theirs. If your unit is fired upon, you subtract their score against you from your score. If it is still positive you wound. For every +4 scores you get a second wound. Then dodge rolls as appropriate.
Keep in mind that 10 shots in 5 seconds is a pretty low volume of fire for 5 people, even for semi-automatics instead of automatics, unless they're using single shot bolt-action rifles or something.

If you're looking for one shot every 5 seconds I'd say you could figure a team in a fire position is going to be looking for targets, 1 sec, aiming, 2 sec for Acc, aiming, 3 sec for Acc+1, aiming, 4 sec for Acc+2, shooting RoF 3 at Acc+2.

Which would give you a RoF 3 in aimed bullets down range every 3 seconds, per person, which with 5 people would be 5 bullets hitting at final modified skill, +5 bullets hitting at skill -2 to -3, and +5 bullets hitting at skill -4 to -5.

So if your final modified skill is 15-, you'd be generating probabilities of hitting with:
5 shots at 15-
+5 shots at 13-
+5 shots at 11-

That should give you plenty of variation there, right?
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tactical challenge, tactical combat