Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-28-2011, 08:03 PM   #41
Kazander

Default Re: Build Assistance: Forcing Opponents to Stay in Close Combat

Well, thanks for the ideas. The Sensitivity skill in particular may help--I had forgotten about that one.

I came up with a couple of alternative builds for what I want--which may not be perfect yet--below, but they end up being too expensive (not that this is necessarily unjustified).

Alternative Build 1
Affliction (10/lvl)
Disadvantage, Sessile (+50%)
Aura (+80%)
Melee: Reach C (-30%)
Malediction (+100%)
Accessibility, only to resist Retreat Options or attempts to move from Close Combat (-50%)
Reflexive: activated when opponent tries to Retreat or Step from the Area (+40%)
Based on: ST or Wrestling (+20%) protagonist
Based on: ST, Wrestling, or Escape (+20%) attacker
Using Mult Modifiers: [9/level]. Or if using alternative costs for Affliction (where successive levels don't cost as much as the first level--I use 3/level base) you get [9 + 3/additional level].

+ Compartmentalized Mind (Limited, One Ability, -30%; No Mental Separation, -20%; Mentalism, Limited (No AoD or Move), -5%; ) [23]

Or:

Alternative Build 2
Binding (2/lvl)
Reflexive: activated when opponent tries to Retreat or Step from Close Combat (+40%)
Melee: reach C (-30%)
Accessibility, only to resist Retreat Options or attempts to move from Close Combat (-40%)
Unbreakable (+40%)
15 levels to equal ST 13, +2 for Wrestling@ DX+2??? 2.2/lvl * 15 = [33pts]

+ Extra Attack (Binding Only, -20%) [20pts]

Option 1 is about twice as expensive as the original build, and Option 2 is more than triple the original. I don't think I can squeeze the points out, so I may have to give it up. Haven't had time to think these through completely, and the implications of these builds, so additional feedback is still welcome. There may be glaring mistakes here.
Kazander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:18 AM   #42
Lamech

Affliction/binding attacks are the way to go IMO. You could also use imbuements if you have the book, I think a couple of them cause afflictions.
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:41 AM   #43
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
With invisible arms that do this and only this? Seems contrived.
But without a better way to do it, that's the way to do it.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:45 AM   #44
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Keeping your distance, especially when you don't know what's behind you, isn't easy either. Except that by the rules, it's trivially easy.
It seems to me that at the very least you should expend Move to take a retreat.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:51 AM   #45
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
Give him a Perk which lets him take one of his steps when his opponent steps away.

Perk: Shadow Step
Close Combat fighter can use a Step during opponent's movement to shadow the opponent in Close Combat.

It's not going to be a very useful Perk in general, but if you have a Step of 2 and only need to use 1 to get into CC, then you'll be able to stay in CC, using 1 Step to follow an opponent's retreat, and 1 Shadow Step to follow an opponent's Step.
Elegant solution, but are you confident of the pricing as a perk?
Old 06-29-2011, 06:05 AM   #46
davidtmoore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
Elegant solution, but are you confident of the pricing as a perk?
I wouldn't have said it was particularly game-breaking. Might be tempted to make it cinematic, or set a Step of 2+ as a requirement. And, of course, if it's a Style Perk, it's dependent on having enough points in the appropriate style, and takes up a slot that could be taken by another Style Perk.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:11 AM   #47
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazander View Post

Or:

Alternative Build 2
Binding (2/lvl)
Reflexive: activated when opponent tries to Retreat or Step from Close Combat (+40%)
Melee: reach C (-30%)
Accessibility, only to resist Retreat Options or attempts to move from Close Combat (-40%)
Unbreakable (+40%)
15 levels to equal ST 13, +2 for Wrestling@ DX+2??? 2.2/lvl * 15 = [33pts]

+ Extra Attack (Binding Only, -20%) [20pts]

Option 1 is about twice as expensive as the original build, and Option 2 is more than triple the original. I don't think I can squeeze the points out, so I may have to give it up. Haven't had time to think these through completely, and the implications of these builds, so additional feedback is still welcome. There may be glaring mistakes here.
If the GM permits this use of Reflexive, I don't think you need the Extra Attack.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:41 PM   #48
Captain Joy

Quote:
Alternative Build 1
Affliction (10/lvl)
Disadvantage, Sessile (+50%)
Aura (+80%)
Melee: Reach C (-30%)
Malediction (+100%)
Accessibility, only to resist Retreat Options or attempts to move from Close Combat (-50%)
Reflexive: activated when opponent tries to Retreat or Step from the Area (+40%)
Based on: ST or Wrestling (+20%) protagonist
Based on: ST, Wrestling, or Escape (+20%) attacker
Using Mult Modifiers: [9/level]. Or if using alternative costs for Affliction (where successive levels don't cost as much as the first level--I use 3/level base) you get [9 + 3/additional level].

+ Compartmentalized Mind (Limited, One Ability, -30%; No Mental Separation, -20%; Mentalism, Limited (No AoD or Move), -5%; ) [23]
I would get rid of the Accessibility and Reflexive bits. If your guy manages a touch/hit, then the opponent can't step away that next turn. If your guy can't manage a touch/hit during his attack, then the opponent should be able to step away.

Also, by RAW, this disadvantage should last for "one minute per point by which the victim fails his ... roll" [p. B36]. Buying this down to last only one second (or a few, if you want the keep your opponent from stepping away even after you fail to touch/hit a time or two) should reduce the cost significantly. For the life of me, I could not find a RAW limitation for reducing the time of an ability. There surely is one. My guess would be it's something like -20% for every halving of the time.

Also, I don't think you need to "+ Compartmentalized Mind...". Aura + Melee Attack means the effects will take place whenever you touch/hit somebody whether you want it to or not; it's not something you have to concentrate on doing. To keep this from affecting friendlies accidentally, I'd allow Selective Area for +20% (or even less), even though by RAW it's not for Auras.

I'm not sure how to make this work for when you touch/hit with a close combat weapon. I would expect this to cost an extra +10%.

I notice your most recent builds reflect the fighter not letting his opponent move. This is significantly different than a fighter that maintains close combat distance with his opponent by sticking close by them. Make sure you're modeling what you really want.

Last edited by Captain Joy; 06-29-2011 at 08:50 PM. Reason: added last paragraph
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:48 PM   #49
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Keep in mind that it's the game effect that's important: the opponent cannot leave CC without winning a Contest of Strength. There really aren't any invisible arms here.
This is GURPS not HERO or D&D; I'm extremely wary of any game mechanic that I can't relate in narrative terms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
But without a better way to do it, that's the way to do it.
Which is why I suggested it would be better built as a cinematic technique of the appropriate combat skills.

Really though I think it's even better to just use a Step of 2+, Committed Attack, All-Out-Attack, Move and Attack or Extra Effort:Giant Step or Heroic Charge and split the movement.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 06-29-2011 at 08:54 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:53 PM   #50
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Really though I think it's even better to just use a Step of 2+, Committed Attack, All-Out-Attack, Move and Attack or Extra Effort and split the movement.
How about buying some Extra Move--enough to allow for a 2+ Step--with some limitations that it's only useful in close combat situations? Then it's the fighter that's keeping the distance close, not some mystical ill-defined force that prevents foes from moving the way they should.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combat rules, tactical combat