Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-06-2010, 03:35 AM   #1
viper5121

Default Would round-based miniatures and a square grid work in GURPS?

Would there need to be a lot of adjustment, and if so, what kind? I use 54mm scale minis on round 50mm bases (and even larger bases for larger monster minis). Therefore, I am guessing that gaming paper with 1" squares would work better than gaming paper with 1" hexes.

I am not willing to re-base my miniatures on hexes.

Any responses will be appreciated.

Thanks.
viper5121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 03:48 AM   #2
Captain-Captain

Default Re: Would round-based miniatures and a square grid work in GURPS?

Depends on which square grid pattern to an extent. The standard sauare pattern gives two extra facings, and you have to remember that two diagonal moves - 3 squards.

There is also the "Staggered square" or brick pattern grod/ The borders of the adjacent squares are set at the halfway point of the center square. In practice you have six facings around you and for most purposes it can be considered a hex grid with horizontal and vertical lines.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 03:56 AM   #3
TheSkywise

Sure, why not. GURPs models itself on reality. While hexes are the "standard" way described in the tactical section, GURPs uses real world measurements for everything. There are no radius templates or anything. You don't even have to use minis if you dont want to.

Remember, GURPs is a tool kit for you to use how ever you want.

Personally, I perfer hexes but that's just our group.
TheSkywise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 04:06 AM   #4
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

50mm is about 2" so you'd cover about four 1" squares and a few more if you're using hexes.

You could use paper with a larger grid. At http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/ you can create your own grids at the size of your choice in a pdf format and then print them on your own.
Dragondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 05:20 AM   #5
Rasmus Wagner

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper5121 View Post
Would there need to be a lot of adjustment, and if so, what kind? I use 54mm scale minis on round 50mm bases (and even larger bases for larger monster minis). Therefore, I am guessing that gaming paper with 1" squares would work better than gaming paper with 1" hexes.

I am not willing to re-base my miniatures on hexes.

Any responses will be appreciated.

Thanks.
If you want miniatures of that size, you're probably dealing with custom maps anyway, so squares wont be easier than grids. 2" hexes are no more difficult to print or apply than 2" squares. 1" squares with 2" bases is a bad, impractical fit anyway.

I recommend dry-erase boards with hex grid - you'll probably have to make it yourself - or a clear plastic hex sheet on top of gridless maps.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:17 AM   #6
Agramer

Hexes:you need those ,if you want to have accurate tactical combat on map
-though ,it is easy enough to print them in any size you like as others above have already suggested

Shape of base of minis doesnt matter:All you have to do is decide which part of mini is directed into central front hex(my group uses everything,from toy soldiers,Warhammer minis,custom minis and as can be expected bases for them are in all shapes imaginable)
-bigger bases for monsters arent an issue either since "Dragon" is covering 10+hexes..so bigger base can represent whole Dragon or just parts of dragon that are on land while tail that extends from base is in air on 1-2 yard hight(or however you like it)

Great community...give it a try :)
Agramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:43 PM   #7
hackbarth

You dont need to rebase your minis. The only thing that a mini must have to work with gurps rules is a well defined facing. A speckof paint in the base will take care of that, denoting the 'front' face of the mini.

If you want to use square grids, take a look on this article:

https://sites.google.com/site/thackbarth/gurps-squared

Last edited by hackbarth; 11-06-2010 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Changed the link to an english version, original was in portuguese.
hackbarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:21 PM   #8
Jerron

Nice- here's the google translated link, not perfect but you get the gist of it. http://translate.google.com/translat...us%26prmd%3Div
As mentioned, round bases are actually good- square ones stink when you try and do something else, but round is usable on any shape. Mark your facing, print some 2" grids, and you're golden whether you want hex or square.

50mm though... wow, that's huge. I don't think I can find a good selection that size around here, 25mm is considered the 'large' size, and if i didn't have everything all ready for that size, I'd go down to 15mm- more map room, but everyone does 1" grids, not 37/64" ones. It's nice to just throw the figures on the maps from the modules, when they have them. (Which is probably the even bigger reason I don't go to 15mm.)
Jerron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:48 PM   #9
hackbarth

Thanks, I translated the link, you can click again.

I will eventually translate the images, but I think that it is mostly cosmetic. I need to find the sources for them in my HD.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:41 AM   #10
viper5121

Thanks for the responses everyone!
viper5121 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hex, tactical combat