Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-15-2021, 04:38 PM   #41
SilvercatMoonpaw

Default Re: Moving from d20 to GURPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
But it looks like we're drifting far away from the OP's questions and arguing geekery. (Funny how that always happens with Star Wars, Star Trek, and similar franchises...)
A great portion of human history can be defined as "arguing geekery".
Old 09-15-2021, 05:57 PM   #42
sjard
Stick in the Mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvercatMoonpaw View Post
A great portion of human history can be defined as "arguing geekery".
<Moderator>
However, that, and the drift are neither on topic for this thread.

Please return to the topic and end the derailment please.

Thank you.
</Moderator>
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 08:41 PM   #43
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SID View Post
I

My initial questions are:

What would be the appropriate TL?
How would you build the force powers?
I plan to include combat in star-fighters, where do I find guidelines for that?
If you’ve run Star Wars with GURPS, let me know about your experience.
Ok! Initial Questions! :)

For purposes of shopping for stuff in Gurps Ultra Tech the TL is mostly 11^. What SW TL "should" be is another derailment waiting to happen.

Items of particular nterest are "blasters". Use Gurps TL 11 Particle Beam weapons for these as on p.123 of UT. Blasters that have astun setyting are the "Omniblasters" on p.124. Sueprscicne Power cels as seen on p.133 are a efinte possibility when explaining why no one ever seems to run out of shots.

Armor might be TL10 except for Mandalorians and the (5) of the blasters means mostly no one bothers with "real" armor.

Force Screens would need to be TL11^ and are generally known. A particularly odd thought that occurred to me is that TL11^ Life Support Belts might be avallable. If they have no visual special effects Han and Leia might have been wearing them in The Empire Strikes Back when they apparently went outside the Falcon with nothing but Air Masks. The only other support I can show for this notion is that I can not recall ever seeiing a "proper" space suit. I admit that his is bold "reasoning".

Speeder Bikes are the TL10^ "Hover Bikes" seen in the text on p. 230.

Bacta tanks are the TL 10 Regeneration Tanks on p.201.

Droids might also be TL10 but some with TL11^ features like hover ability are known. A mix of tL10 and 11^ is certainly possible.

Ask specific questions and I might be able to answer those too.
Old 09-16-2021, 09:24 AM   #44
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
But it looks like we're drifting far away from the OP's questions and arguing geekery. (Funny how that always happens with Star Wars, Star Trek, and similar franchises...)
To drag the aside kicking and screaming back toward the original topic, when converting an established fictional setting to a game setting, you do need to consider how to deal with oddities, contradictions, and plot holes that an author or filmmaker with complete control of the setting and characters can just sweep under the rug.

PCs are unlikely to forget that R2 has rockets, shuttles have their own transporters, or that kryptonite is harmless if melted with heat vision.
Old 09-16-2021, 10:57 AM   #45
Polydamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Force Screens would need to be TL11^ and are generally known. A particularly odd thought that occurred to me is that TL11^ Life Support Belts might be avallable. If they have no visual special effects Han and Leia might have been wearing them in The Empire Strikes Back when they apparently went outside the Falcon with nothing but Air Masks. The only other support I can show for this notion is that I can not recall ever seeiing a "proper" space suit. I admit that his is bold "reasoning".
Its plausible that stormtrooper kit includes some kind of protection against poisonous atmospheres, and it might even be better at that than as armour (the helmets presumably have sensor and communication gear built in which Luke did not know how to use). The best rationalization I know of for the 'repairs on the asteroid' scene in ESB is that Falcon is projecting its deflector shields around the hull and flooding that area with atmosphere (possibly low in oxygen. Since Phantom Menace, it has been canonical that small personal force fields are possible but hard (either cost or weight and power requirement or both). Droidekas and some repulsorlift AFVs have them, but not the average soldier droid or clone trooper or even Republic senators.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature

Last edited by Polydamas; 09-16-2021 at 02:39 PM.
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 11:38 AM   #46
Rendu

Quote:
And while not exactly meant for a Star Wars setting, I have a whole line of Sith & Wesson blasters developed using the Blaster and Laser Design Pyramid article, many of which should be suitable for a Star Wars game.
Had to follow that just out of respect for the pun. Noticed that the stat line for the 513 doesn't actually show any numbers, unless it's a weird browser issue.
Rendu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 02:25 PM   #47
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendu View Post
Had to follow that just out of respect for the pun. Noticed that the stat line for the 513 doesn't actually show any numbers, unless it's a weird browser issue.
I'm still working on that one, as it's something I'll have to kit-bash into the design system.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 04:21 PM   #48
Keampe

Funny enough, the effectiveness of Stormtrooper armour is actually on topic. The OP is running a Star Wars game and in my experience Stormtroopers are a pretty frequent target in these games.

So, really, there should be some discussion of the DR of Stormtrooper armour as well as that worn by the Mandalorian and others. Is it worth the players getting their hands on or is it useless.

So it becomes a good question - How effective is armour in the Star Wars universe? More particularly, how effective is armour in the game being run?

- Shane
Keampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 05:20 PM   #49
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keampe View Post
Funny enough, the effectiveness of Stormtrooper armour is actually on topic. The OP is running a Star Wars game and in my experience Stormtroopers are a pretty frequent target in these games.

So, really, there should be some discussion of the DR of Stormtrooper armour as well as that worn by the Mandalorian and others. Is it worth the players getting their hands on or is it useless.

So it becomes a good question - How effective is armour in the Star Wars universe? More particularly, how effective is armour in the game being run?

- Shane
I personally would use the Hardshell Armor from Pyramid #3/12: Tech & Toys, "More Ultra! More Tech!", for stormtrooper armor. A TL9 Hardshell Armor suit has DR 30; at TL 11, this would be DR 60 (this is essentially a full suit of Ultra-Tech's Light Clamshell). Combine with the AD (5) of most blasters reducing this DR from 60 to 12, this will reduce damage from "roll for death checks" to "roll to remain conscious" when hit with their own E-11 blaster carbines. And I suspect that the less fanatical stormtroopers simply played dead until combat finished if they got hit, which would account for stormtroopers falling over when hit and not getting up; they intentionally played by the cinematic mook rules in order to survive!

(Not that playing dead was always a good thing when faced with savage anthrophagenous stone age teddy bears who would roast you alive over a spit for a victory festival, but at least the Rebels would give you medical treatment if they took you prisoner afterward. Just hope that you weren't picked up/abandoned by Vader or the ISB, who would see "playing dead when suffering minor injuries" as treason.)

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting

Last edited by Phantasm; 09-16-2021 at 05:25 PM.
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 02:17 AM   #50
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Ok! Initial Questions! :)

For purposes of shopping for stuff in Gurps Ultra Tech the TL is mostly 11^. What SW TL "should" be is another derailment waiting to happen.
I disagree GURPS Adaptations gives good rule of thumb for figuring out the TLs of a setting:

*If the general patterns are similar, but one or two technologies are missing, delayed, or advanced, go by the typical TL, and by the kind of society it permits. Don’t focus on a single signature technology such as bronze or steam engines; look at the overall pattern.

*If the society reached an advanced stage without the characteristic inventions of that age – for example, a steampunk world with analytical engines rather than electronic computers – use a divergent TL, such as TL(5+2) rather than TL7.

*If the society took a radically different path from the beginning, such as the classic science-fiction idea of a civilization based on biotechnology and bioscience, define it as TL(0+1), TL(0+2), etc.
*If a key invention is superscience, add a ^ to the TL.

Non superscience tech that is identifiable in GURPS Ultra-Tech and GURPS Bio-Tech:

*Charged Particle Beams ("Blasters"): TL10-11
*Semi-Portable Fusion Reactors: TL10; cold fusion aspect is superscience
*Clones: TL9 (assumes artificial wombs); Forced-Growth Tank aspect is superscience
*Techbot: TL9-10
*Combat Walkers: TL9
*Commando Battlesuit: TL10
*Heavy Battlesuit (Darth Vader's Armor): TL10
Dark Lord Azagthoth has the following TLs in his 2019 edition:

*Architecture: ferrocrete (concrete at TL10) and later permacrete (concrete at TL11). Military buildings are often armored with durasteel (steel at TL11).
*Personal Armor: TL9 although very wealthy people can, with the right connections, buy TL10 (nanoweave) clothing.
*Biotechnology: TL7^ during much of Old Republic, TL9 by the time of the Prequels
*Communications: TL7^ as Radio wave based FTL communication
Force Screens, Shields, Fields, and Deflectors: TL11
*Materials: TL10-TL11^, permacrete (TL11), hydrophone permacrete (TL11^), durasteel (TL11), transparisteel (TL11), plastoid (TL11), nanoweave (TL10)
*Power: TL10^ (Cold Fusion)
*Transportation: TL^ (Contragrav vehicles), TL10^ (hot reactionless maneuver drives) and TL11^ (Hyperjump drives)
*Weapons: TL11 (Blasters)

Putting all that together Star Wars is largely TL10 with a few TL11 outliers with communications at TL7^ and Clones at TL9^.

The shorthands for all that is TL10-11 (Communications TL7^, Cloning TL9^)

See, simple .:-)
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote