Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

View Poll Results: Which book to use for each idea
Use powers for psionics 8 66.67%
Use powers for martial artists 0 0%
Use powers separately from psionics and martial artists 3 25.00%
Use powers for everything 1 8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-13-2021, 03:48 PM   #1
Mr19delta

Default Question about psionics, supers, and matrial artists

I looked in the forum and so far could not find anything to answer this question directly so I thought I would post here and see advice others might have.
So i am working on a lowered powered supers campaign inspired by ideas from other comic books such as the "white event" that created paranormals in DP7 (New Universe) for example. In this story People with Psionic abilities have been around for thousands of years thanks to hybrids being born from one parent being human and the other being a pleiadaen (norse aliens). Most however had only very low level psionics but recently many are exhibiting higher levels of powers. My question is this, should I use the GURPS psionic books to represent their powers (point cost being around 350 or more) or should I just use the powers book to represent these emerging psionic powers?
I felt that the psionic books would do better in defining the characters powers better, but it would be less limiting to use powers. Would the psionics be able to balance well with other characters not using psionics (powers book to represent those with physical characteristics only) I rather not use both however. I will also be having martial artists who use the trained by a master/weapon master advantages and not sure if that will balance out well either or not. Any ideas will be considered and thank you for any insight or input you may have.
Mr19delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 04:06 PM   #2
lugaid

Default Re: Question about psionics, supers, and matrial artists

Psionic Powers abilities are all built using Powers. A lot of their special characteristics come from rules in Powers.
lugaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 04:35 PM   #3
Mr19delta

so you are saying that just maintaining similar point costs for characters it will just naturally balance itself out more less? that answer was so simple I don't know I didn't think of that. Thank you friend.
Mr19delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 05:56 PM   #4
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr19delta View Post
so you are saying that just maintaining similar point costs for characters it will just naturally balance itself out more less? that answer was so simple I don't know I didn't think of that. Thank you friend.
Specifically GURPS Psionic Powers starts with a power and then adds power stunts and Using Abilities at Default from the GURPS Powers book.
Powers cost more than skills, though the buy in from Trained by a Master or Weapon Master for cinematic skills helps balance costs, especially at lower and medium point levels.
I prefer a mix myself, Powers for Psionics and both for martial artists. This helps give more variety to the martial artists.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 08:21 AM   #5
Tinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Specifically GURPS Psionic Powers starts with a power and then adds power stunts and Using Abilities at Default from the GURPS Powers book.
Powers cost more than skills, though the buy in from Trained by a Master or Weapon Master for cinematic skills helps balance costs, especially at lower and medium point levels.
I prefer a mix myself, Powers for Psionics and both for martial artists. This helps give more variety to the martial artists.
Yes, I prefer a mix also. It's also a plus that the abilities will feel like they are different using the rules from the different books.
Tinman is online now   Reply With Quote