Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-17-2020, 04:14 AM   #21
David Johnston2

Default Re: Obsolete robots as PCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
If on the other hand they deal with it by always staying in reach of their regular maintenance crew, the 'rare skills' premium would be essentially free points...with a side of 'might convert to Terminally Ill if the GM takes away the crew'.
I think getting or making the spare parts would be the biggest issue. You have to make them from scratch without the cost savings of mass production or cannibalize members of the same vintage of robot who have already broken down.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 07:11 AM   #22
DangerousThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
I think getting or making the spare parts would be the biggest issue. You have to make them from scratch without the cost savings of mass production or cannibalize members of the same vintage of robot who have already broken down.
Or make some other parts do. Like replacing the legs with a more modern model. This way even the robots get to be cyberpunk!
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 07:40 AM   #23
Anders

You could also imagine a robot who won't upgrade. This could be a Delusion (I'm good as I am) - anything from a quirk to -15 points depending on the circumstances.
Old 03-17-2020, 05:54 PM   #24
Flyndaran
Untagged

Or a phobia based on distrust of those in control. I can easily imagine people that would refuse even the safest most objectively beneficial upgrades.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:56 PM   #25
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Or a phobia based on distrust of those in control. I can easily imagine people that would refuse even the safest most objectively beneficial upgrades.
If something like droids in Star Wars getting their memories erased and thus their personalities and sapience reset to factory standard is common (or appears in the news a lot, or is rumoured a lot), whether it's legal or not, an 'obsolete' robot might have a decent justification for being paranoid about letting humans, or even other robots, work on them.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 09:21 PM   #26
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
If something like droids in Star Wars getting their memories erased and thus their personalities and sapience reset to factory standard is common (or appears in the news a lot, or is rumoured a lot), whether it's legal or not, an 'obsolete' robot might have a decent justification for being paranoid about letting humans, or even other robots, work on them.
In Star Wars, we never really see any droids being upgraded or having new parts installed (with the exception of C-3PO going from skeletal to metal clad, and then having that leg replaced a couple of times off camera). Parts isn't parts in my personal headcanon of Star Wars, with droid control software not really being well suited to dealing with any but the mildest changes in robonatomy.

In a similar universe, that would justify an outdated robot still being around without upgrades. Star Wars has been technologically static for so long that truly outdated tech isn't nostalgia, but archeology.

Last edited by RyanW; 03-17-2020 at 09:25 PM.
RyanW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
robots, ultra-tech