Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-12-2016, 06:57 PM   #11
starslayer

Default Re: Character concepts you'll never use

Retcon- a super-villian who specializes in changing the past in not at all subtle ways. He achieves this by physically traveling backwards in time, moving things to achieve his end, and then 'resuming' time. As such he can't actually kill anyone with this power, but he can set up dangerous situations like set explosives in walls, or a car crash right around the corner. He also liked to dress all his minions identically to himself- you NEVER caught/killed the 'right' one.

Kaija - A half-orc slurbow user employing imbuments and bolt-bundles to deliver 3x5 impaling imbument-enhanced bolts to targets.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:14 PM   #12
Litvyak

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
"Did I fire six shots, or only five?" <g>
"Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track of my bladder... wait... what were we talking about again?"

Another concept that I'll likely never use is a character that resides solely in the mind of another character, like the Number Six in Baltar's head in the reimagined Battlestar Galactica... perhaps with a limited form of possession to take over the body like Mr. Robot.

Last edited by Litvyak; 09-12-2016 at 07:18 PM.
Litvyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:54 PM   #13
dataweaver

An archaeologist in the Order of the Hourglass setting, who operates independently of all the major factions using a form of Mental Projection that isn't subject to the Linearity Effect. She's a postcog with the added ability to attune herself with a former possessor of an artifact and then to project herself into the past and possess that person for days, weeks, months, or even years before waking up the next morning with only a single night having gone by.

She discovered this power by accident when she was thirteen after researching a family heirloom, falling asleep with it, and suddenly finding herself living the life of one of her own ancestors. Since then, she has lived many lives, has acquired a vast repertoire of skills, and is wise well beyond her physical years. She has been through a lot, and is rather… quirky as a result.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:05 PM   #14
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
I can't be the only one who has character concepts they're never going to use, for campaigns they'll never play... let's share and enjoy!

A super who is manic-depressive. He can split into two separate characters, one who is fire-themed and one who is ice-themed, symbolising the facets of his personality.
I thought of a super who is actually only half the mundane he was. The other half is his arch enemy comprised of all his darkest desires. They both avoid direct confrontation, because if one dies, the other most likely would as well. This is also why the villain avoids crossing certain lines as it would force the good guy to make the ultimate sacrifice to take him out.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:10 PM   #15
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
"Did I fire six shots, or only five?" <g>

My character never to be played is for a Supers game: somebody who got the stereotypical flight/toughness/strength combo, but is severely acrophobic and a pacifist. He's never to be played because my game group would quickly consign him to "joke character" status.
So like the movie Meteor Man? He started out afraid to fly more than few feet above the ground. It was actually a rather nice take on Superman like powers. The bad guy made it clear that even super speed and strength didn't allow him to be everywhere at once.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:12 PM   #16
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

A DF druid absolutely and fervently committed to the Holy religion of the default cleric rather than a Nature one of most druids - he has definite nature-themed and nature-powered spells, yes, but he doesn't worship nature spirits.

Total Fanaticism (Holy Religion) and Sense of Duty (Religious) in place of the usual druidic Disadvantages, Quirk points spent on Theology, etc.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:16 AM   #17
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
So like the movie Meteor Man? He started out afraid to fly more than few feet above the ground. It was actually a rather nice take on Superman like powers. The bad guy made it clear that even super speed and strength didn't allow him to be everywhere at once.
I haven't seen that movie ... but now I want to. Thanks.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:11 AM   #18
Kalzazz

I had a character who dual wielded automatic grenade pistols

Trying to roll out a barrage of fragmentation attacks quickly retired the character
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:51 AM   #19
dfinlay

This one actually saw a single session (Pathfinder): A half-orc who's older half-brother was a human paladin and who always found the lawful-good paladin paradigm kind of stupid and resented many of the racial overtones involved. He was still close with his brother, but made fun of him constantly over it. Then, his brother's order gets wiped out and his dying brother dubs him the last of that order of paladins. He feels bound to honour his brother's memory by upholding the ideals of the order and becomes a paladin, even though he doesn't really buy into it. Gradually he indoctrinates himself but still constantly has lingering doubts and covers them up by overcompensating and getting more and more lawful stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
Another concept that I'll likely never use is a character that resides solely in the mind of another character, like the Number Six in Baltar's head in the reimagined Battlestar Galactica... perhaps with a limited form of possession to take over the body like Mr. Robot.
I ran a game where one PC was a sentient magic item possessed by another PC. She could talk telepathically to the host and activate all of the item's abilities (of which there were lots - she was a full 150 point character). It was not a good idea at all. She wound up not doing much and her player grew increasingly disinterested in the game.
dfinlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:51 AM   #20
McAllister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
I had a character who dual wielded automatic grenade pistols

Trying to roll out a barrage of fragmentation attacks quickly retired the character
Oh my god, I feel you. So tempting, but the fact is that without a computer to process rapid fire AoE, it's hopeless.

I've always wanted to play a solipsist, someone to who believes that the rest of reality is a figment of their imagination. Very high resistance to attacks they're not aware of, the ability to cause things or people not to exist (or perhaps turn them insubstantial as an intermediate step?), perhaps the ability to conjure temporary Allies from their own thoughts, that sort of thing. I haven't developed the idea too much because it would be tricky to implement, but gosh, it would be fun.
McAllister is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
characters