Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-15-2012, 09:19 AM   #1
Confused

Default Splitting abilities between Compartmentalized Minds

Beware: broken english below.

From what I found on this forum, if I have Telekinesis and Compartmentalized Minds, it gives me one more mental action per turn, so, for example, I can perform two telekinetic tasks (simultaneously), or perform two non-TK tasks (simultaneously).

But how can I model something like:
Compartmentalized Minds (TK only, and nothing else -X%).
TK (only by second mind, -Y%).

Where can I find references for "X" and "Y" modifiers? I'm sure I saw something like this, but I can't find it again.

__
Also, is it possible to take Super Throw 1 (TK only -Z%)? What "Z" would be fair?

Last edited by Confused; 11-15-2012 at 09:27 AM.
Confused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:36 AM   #2
Desthro

Default Re: Splitting abilities between Compartmentalized Minds

Super Throw 1 (TK-Based -10%)

The others i'm not sure about ;) at the moment
Desthro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:59 AM   #3
Jerander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confused View Post

I believe there's a One Power Only or One Ability Only limitation listed under Compartmentalized Mind in Powers. If I'm right, that may be what you want for -x%.

The -y% limitation may be a controllable state, so -20% at most...Better minds than mine will need to weigh in on that one...
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:37 AM   #4
Confused

There is no paragraph about Compartmentalized Minds in Powers :(
Almost tore apart my book while searching, but found nothing :(

One Ability (-80%) is a limitation for Neutralize. I'm not sure if it's a fair cost for CM. Dividing cost by 5 seems munchkinish.
One Power is -50% for Neutralize and Energy Reserves. That's more "believeable", but I'm not planning to use any other abilities except TK.

I would be thankful if an experienced GM would judge the final cost.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:42 AM   #5
Goober4473

Psionic Powers has the modifiers for Compartmentalized Mind.

[Edit]: You could also consider just adding Reduced Time to your TK, so it takes no action. I'm not sure if that limits you to one free action with it per turn, or if you can also expend an action to use it again, but if the former, then that should work. Unless of course you want the two minds for other reasons too.
Goober4473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:19 AM   #6
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober4473 View Post
Psionic Powers has the modifiers for Compartmentalized Mind.

[Edit]: You could also consider just adding Reduced Time to your TK, so it takes no action. I'm not sure if that limits you to one free action with it per turn, or if you can also expend an action to use it again, but if the former, then that should work. Unless of course you want the two minds for other reasons too.
That doesn't work. Moving things with TK requires "constant concentration" The only way to move something with TK and take a normal action is with CM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
It's crucial to note that, as p. B92 spells out, Telekinesis requires "constant concentration to use" rather than "a Concentrate maneuver to activate." Reduced Time explicitly states, "You may only add this enhancement to abilities that require time to activate." The wording isn't random; activation is one thing, use is quite another. This is why Reduced Time also states in no uncertain terms that you cannot add Reduced Time to attack powers -- those aren't activated, but used via a maneuver such as All-Out Attack, Attack, or Move and Attack.

A GM could allow a +70% enhancement such as Second Nature (lifted from Clairsentience) or the more expensive form of Independent to make directing one's Telekinesis essentially a free action, but that would be the GM's call. At any rate, Reduced Time, +20% is both too cheap and clearly forbidden, while Reflexive, +40% would only be good for defensive uses. The canonical way to get physical actions as well as use of one's Telekinesis is, as others have said, through Compartmentalized Mind.
The limitation value for CM (only for ability X, -?%) is based on whether you have other abilities that will be impacted. The details are in Psionic Powers.

As for "Only controlled by Compartment" would be slim to none. It is not actually limiting to the TK itself. Since a compartment could potentially be taken over leaving you without control of your TK, I might give -5% to -10% for the nuisance/ accessibility

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 11-15-2012 at 11:32 AM.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:37 AM   #7
Anaraxes

I'd give TK (Only by Compartment) -0%. It's not a limitation. In fact, it's the way the power normally works -- just that you normally have a mind with only one compartment.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:10 PM   #8
Confused

So, if I got it right:

CM is [50].

"TK-only" CM is [48], because without other abilities, "Limited, One Ability" is a -5% modifier.

Shapeshifting and "TK-only" CM is [50], because shapeshifting is [15(+)], and CM, "Limited, One Ability" becomes -30% modifier (and that other mind can't concentrate on shapeshifting).

Temperature Control (1) [5] and "TK-only" CM [35] is [40], for the same reasons. 8 points cheaper than with "TK-only" CM.

Sometimes GURPS is really confusing for a newbies like me :(

Looks like the moment of truth has come. I'm mutating into munchkin. Damn.

Last edited by Confused; 11-15-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:28 PM   #9
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
So, if I got it right:

CM is [50].

"TK-only" CM is [49], because without other abilities, "Limited, One Ability" is a -5% modifier.

Shapeshifting and "TK-only" CM is [50], because shapeshifting is [15(+)], and CM, "Limited, One Ability" becomes -30% modifier (and that other mind can't concentrate on shapeshifting).

Temperature Control (1) [5] and "TK-only" CM is [40], for the same reasons. 9 points cheaper than with "TK-only" CM.

Sometimes GURPS is really confusing for a newbies like me :(

Looks like the moment of truth has come. I'm mutating into munchkin. Damn.
This is where thematic common sense, and rule zero come into play.

Yes, if you buy a level of temperature control solely for a point crock (which you have demonstrated it is, ergo), you should not take it. Unless you are truly ceding to munchkinism.

GURPS is great, but it's not perfect. It requires (and assumes) some common sense and a number of social contracts among it's players.

That said, a little point optimization isn't a bad thing, and it may encourage you to have a PC with more interesting powers. After a while they may become more prominent, prove useful, and you may find yourself wanting to buy off that single ability limitation. Depends on you and your GM of course.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:24 PM   #10
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:

From what I found on this forum, if I have Telekinesis and Compartmentalized Minds, it gives me one more mental action per turn, so, for example, I can perform two telekinetic tasks (simultaneously), or perform two non-TK tasks (simultaneously).
Yes. Exactly.

Quote:
This would be: "Limited, Telekinesis only, -30%".

Quote:
This isn't a meaningful limitation, maybe -5%.

Quote:
Where can I find references for "X" and "Y" modifiers? I'm sure I saw something like this, but I can't find it again.
GURPS Psionic Powers is your friend.

Quote:
__
Also, is it possible to take Super Throw 1 (TK only -Z%)? What "Z" would be fair?
Super Throw can't be used with TK like that. To throw more with TK, buy higher levels. You can take it as a Psionic power though.

Ghostdancer

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compartmentalized mind, compartmentalized minds, telekinesis