Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-07-2023, 07:29 AM   #1
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default [Basic] Advantage of the Week: Reawakened

Reawakened [10] is an exotic mental advantage, only available if reincarnation happens in the setting. You can remember skills, spells, etc., from your past lives. This advantage first appeared in GURPS Voodoo for 3e.

You still have to pay for the skills you learned in your previous lives, and Reawakened doesn’t give you a discount on them. It’s essentially an Unusual Background that gives you the ability to learn skills that aren’t readily available in the game setting, but which you can make a case for previous incarnations having known.

If Reawakened is the key to most of the game’s activities, and all the characters are expected to have it, there’s a strong case for not charging for it, just like an espionage game where the characters aren’t charged for Security Clearance.

This advantage gets used for various additional purposes in the GURPS corpus: spirits reincarnated as humans in Adaptations, previous lives as a wizard or elementalist in DF, use with Racial Memory or Special Rapport in Fantasy, or returning to your home-world after a long absence in Portal Realms. Future History raises the price to [15] if you have skills distributed over a long period, while Martial Arts uses it for reborn masters, and Powers as a focus for Wild Talent. Steampunk 3 makes it an optional advantage for reincarnated magicians, and sensibly advises the to GM require a list of your past lives, with no overlaps. Template Toolkit 2 has Reawakened as a zero-point feature, for the recently uploaded, and Thaumatology provides it for magic items with spirits.

I’ve never been in a game where Reawakened was used at all. Has it been important in any of your games?
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 04:05 PM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week: Reawakened

I've used it before because I dig the idea of reincarnation. Let's see, one was a fantasy game where the character who had it was in an endless rebirth cycle.

It's one of the powers of what I call a "phoenix soul" in my multiverse.

Hmmm. I used it in an urban fantasy game too for two star-crossed lovers. That was probably the best/most fun of them. Probably used it elsewhere too but can't recall all instances.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 09:35 PM   #3
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

I had thoughts about rules to make it useful in Phoenix Imperative, but nobody ended up playing someone with it (and that game fizzled anyways).
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 06:13 AM   #4
Prince Charon

I have yet to have the opportunity to run a game in it, but the setting Reawakened Heroes of a Golden Age centres around a bunch of modern day characters getting Reawakened with the memories of Golden Age supers, and gaining the powers of same to various degrees.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 03:41 AM   #5
Pursuivant

In some respects Reawakened is the opposite of Racial Memory, which gives you access to ancestral memories but not skills.

It can also represent any weird science, psi, or ultratech ability which gives you access to a particular person's skills, but not necessarily their memories.

For example, in the Star Trek universe, carrying a Vulcan's katra for any length of time might give a non-Vulcan the equivalent of Reawakened (access to skills & techniques normally restricted to Vulcans), while touching strange alien probes might grant access to even more alien knowledge.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 03:42 AM   #6
Christopher R. Rice

That's not a bad point. Collapsing the two into one might be a good idea. Hmmm...

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantage of the week, reawakened, reincarnation