Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-31-2022, 11:44 PM   #41
Farmer

Default Re: Which skills are worh raising really high?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
But I've definitely seen situations where the player thinks they need to take a shot and the GM says "Okay, -25 from all these things." and the player rolls because sometimes you need a one in a million with your 28 skill.
Well, it's always a 1 in 216 unless the GM simply rules it impossible.

So long as it's fun, it's good, and certainly RPGs and GURPS support utterly cinematic and unrealistic action - nothing wrong with it :-).
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 01:41 AM   #42
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer View Post

So long as it's fun, it's good, and certainly RPGs and GURPS support utterly cinematic and unrealistic action - nothing wrong with it :-).
The difference between a million and 216 is PC's built in luck. The same luck that forces them into deadly situations ;)

More seriously, I also wouldn't have any issue with saying "This should be impossible for your character because your effective skill is currently -4, but I am open to you spending Impulse Points to say otherwise".
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 03:27 AM   #43
maximara
On Notice

Quote:

Since 3-4 always succeed it would be 4 in 216 (1 in 216 for 3 plus 3 in 216 for 4)
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 04:45 AM   #44
Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
Since 3-4 always succeed it would be 4 in 216 (1 in 216 for 3 plus 3 in 216 for 4)
Yeah. We usually play that effective negative skills need a 3, assuming the GM allows it at all.

A 1 in 54 chance of succeeding at anything is too high :-)
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 04:01 PM   #45
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Yeah. We usually play that effective negative skills need a 3, assuming the GM allows it at all.

A 1 in 54 chance of succeeding at anything is too high :-)
Not in an Action setting. :-). Seriously, even a 1 defense succeeds 1 in 54 (Basic Set p 374).

Heck, Last Action Hero even make a joke regarding just how much damage "important" Action characters in movie could take.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 05:35 PM   #46
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
*I didn't add Deceptive Attack to the list because I frankly can't recall if you can do that with ranged weapons. Otherwise, that's another giant penalty sink
Prediction Shots, MA121, are ranged Deceptive Attacks. They typically only work against Dodges, but in a cinematic campaign (like, say, one where characters may expect to need to snipe a target 100 yards away while on fire and falling out of a helicopter), I'd have no issue with having it work against Blocks (and Parries, if those are an option - indeed, that's how I'd expect an elite gunman to be able to take out a Jedi).
Old 04-01-2022, 10:47 PM   #47
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Prediction Shots, MA121, are ranged Deceptive Attacks. They typically only work against Dodges, but in a cinematic campaign (like, say, one where characters may expect to need to snipe a target 100 yards away while on fire and falling out of a helicopter), I'd have no issue with having it work against Blocks (and Parries, if those are an option - indeed, that's how I'd expect an elite gunman to be able to take out a Jedi).
Awesome, thanks. I think I'd allow that option to cinematic users (Gunslinger/Heroic Archer/Weapon Master) because it absolutely fits for them.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
skills