Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 04-21-2019, 05:24 PM   #1
Maximum7

Default Purgill brain?

I’m going to have my scientist study the Purgill brain (the creature that can jump to hyperspace naturally). I need a cool and scientific sounding name for the part of the brain that acts as an organic navicomputer and helps the Purgill calculate their jumps. Any ideas? I’m looking for something a little more creative than say “hyperlobe”
Maximum7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:01 PM   #2
dcarson

Default Re: Purgill brain?

There are several parts of the brain with names like foos area after the scientist that figured out what that area did.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:00 AM   #3
whswhs

Brain areas are often named for their shape, as "hippocampus" (seahorse) or "amygdala" (almond, I think). There are also areas named for their discoverers, as dcarson correctly notes.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 06:06 AM   #4
Anaraxes

Then there's the straightforward functional naming style, something like "navigational cortex", as well as the positional naming, like "frontal lobe" and the equally bland, but livened up with a dose of learned Latin, "occipital lobe". ("Occiput" is Latin for "back of the head".)

(Liven up the "navigational cortex" with some Latin, perhaps. "Navigo" is too close to English to be interesting, so you might use "inno". I think that verb might turn into "innadum" as an adjective (a "gerundive"), but I have next to no chance of getting Latin grammar right. How many spaceships? This is hyperwarp away from, isn't it, boy?)

Last edited by Anaraxes; 04-22-2019 at 06:22 AM.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
animal, brain, ftl, neurology, star wars