Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 04-24-2021, 09:31 PM   #171
Hide

Default Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajardoor View Post
That's an Armoury (Melee Weapons) roll, I believe. Survival may complement it, but you roll Armoury.
Perhaps Vicious means wood stakes, you know, on the side of improvised weapons. You could say it’s 3 pieces of wood stakes for use in fortifications, held as spears.
Old 04-25-2021, 03:57 AM   #172
ajardoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
Perhaps Vicious means wood stakes, you know, on the side of improvised weapons. You could say it’s 3 pieces of wood stakes for use in fortifications, held as spears.
OOC: Then it's a IQ-based Traps roll.
Old 04-25-2021, 10:21 AM   #173
Hide

Okay, the let’s have Bain roll traps (SL 12+1), he will be doing it carefully and behind the cover. He is taking into account Gathika’s watchdog is on. Hopefully Vicious’ roll will help us with another +1, for a (SL 12+2).
Old 04-25-2021, 04:59 PM   #174
ajardoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
Okay, the let’s have Bain roll traps (SL 12+1), he will be doing it carefully and behind the cover. He is taking into account Gathika’s watchdog is on. Hopefully Vicious’ roll will help us with another +1, for a (SL 12+2).
Alright, rolling...
11 for Vic, +1 to Bain's roll...
Bain rolls a 8.
Bain successfully fashions some wooden stakes.
Post it in the IC thread, please.
Old 04-25-2021, 11:12 PM   #175
Hide

Alright!

Following GURPS Martial Arts guidelines (p.225), we end with something similar to a crude Jo with a sharp point. As an improvised weapon, Vicious can handle it with Two Handed Sword -1.

Regarding its stats, the improvised weapon deals full damage and can parry. For Vicious, the weapon should have these stats:

1d+4 CR (reach 1) and
1d+2 IMP (reach 1)
At SL 15.
Old 04-26-2021, 05:51 AM   #176
ajardoor

That furnace isn't getting finished until Telrith successfully casts Shape Earth one more time. Keep track of your FP, Telrith, because if you need to stop and rest, that may mean random encounters.
Old 04-26-2021, 08:49 AM   #177
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Rolled 16 for Shape Earth. Failure, mark off 1 FP. Try again?
checking the magic book, its 1 per cubic yard... but it has a minimum cost of 2, which I missed before, and means Telrith will need to spend ER/FP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajardoor View Post
IIRC, Shape Earth costs 2 per cubic feet moved. The passageway into the cave is 10 feet wide by 10 feet high.
That's... utterly enormous. Wider and taller than almost any room in my house. Are all of the cave entrances this huge? (yes, I know its a D&D standard). Is there an inner door? could you describe this entrance in a little more detail?

To wall off the entrance the way he wants (1 yard thick), Telrith will need 6 castings of shape earth (100 square feet 3 feet thick is 11.1 cubic yards, and I get 2 cubic yards per casting). Telrith has already spent 3 FP/ER digging the wall.

Telrith will want to rest to recover his mojo. If he doesn't spend more than 4 ER/FP in a set, he can recover them all in 20 minutes. So this whole project will take 3 to four stages:
  • The wall and the first failure
  • most of the plug (4 of 6 castings)
  • The rest of the plug (2 castings) and the furnace (2 castings)
  • Any extra castings from additional shape earth failures
With an extra 20ish minutes from being careful and getting the architecture roll right, that means the whole process will take 1 hour, unless a failure is rolled. Then it will take 80 minutes. It will be an additional 20 minutes after that until telrith has all of his FP/ER back.

I believe we have the rolls for the wall and the furnace, but are lacking the 6 rolls for the plug.

I'm not sticking the elementals on the far side of the wall. They can't really fight unaided, and they can't pass through the wall, so what would be the point?

While Telrith is recovering energy, he will watch his teammates make the crude spears, and hope they're keeping a sharp lookout for trouble.

Hide:
I don't want to mess with the water until we've pulled this first task off.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 10:50 AM   #178
Hide

I have been thinking that messing with the water may bring unnecessary attention. Perhaps we should leave it alone until we raid #2. So, if the party agrees we could opt for this.
Old 04-26-2021, 07:04 PM   #179
ajardoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
That's... utterly enormous. Wider and taller than almost any room in my house. Are all of the cave entrances this huge? (yes, I know its a D&D standard). Is there an inner door? could you describe this entrance in a little more detail?

I believe we have the rolls for the wall and the furnace, but are lacking the 6 rolls for the plug.
No, most cave entryways are smaller.
There is an inner door, yes.
The cave opening has the big wall of severed heads in small alcoves/shelves along its right side. The door looks like it is years old.

Rolling Shape Earth six times, I guess? 14, 9, 11, 10, 16, and 10.
That is 80 minutes of work?
Because Bain just noticed some archers sneaking up on the group...
Old 04-26-2021, 10:28 PM   #180
Hide

Combat strategy:

Bain is camouflaged (rolled a 7) and crouched, under cover; his basic speed is 5.5.

He is ready to attack and aims to their leader with an AP arrow (he is changing arrows in the next shot if the enemy is not wearing armor).

If I can make surprise attack (attacking from above, B402), then Bain aims and opts for an AOA double to take two guys down and get a chance of freezing the enemy party.

Bain's effective bow SL is 17 (+2 acc bonus).

If he AOAs then it is:

First arrow:

Shooting: SL 14, (15-4+2+1: range, acc bonus and aiming bonus).

Second arrow:

Readying: SL 14 (second shot),
Drawing: SL 14,
Shooting: SL 12, (15-4-1+2: range, quickshooting and acc bonus).

They are about 20 yards away from us, and we are at an elevation of about 25 yards (source).

So, firing downward, it is as if they were at a distance of 8 yards from me (-4 to Bain's effective skill).

And in their case, firing upward, they are at attacking at an effective distance of 45 yards (-8 to their effective skill).

For defensive maneuvers, Bain is doing acrobatic dodge with extra effort if the enemy attacks him. For the moment I will keep Luck in my reserve.

Tags
dfrpg, dungeon fantasy, fantasy, magic, martial arts