Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-25-2019, 11:10 AM   #11
RyanW

Default Re: [Basic] Disadvantage of the Week: Low TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Low TL [-5 per TL] is a mundane disadvantage, presumably mental, although it's not classified in 4e.
It's listed as mental in the Trait list, p299.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:26 AM   #12
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
It's listed as mental in the Trait list, p299.
So it is, fixed in the root message.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 06:18 PM   #13
KalelChase

I run an apocalyptic setting and use Low TL for every character in the starting point. It's a 'edge of the wilderness' town far from the domed precursor vault.

The overall setting is TL8, but the starting point (and all characters) are TL6. So they start with TL-2. They have access to TL7 equipment, but it cost twice as much. TL8 stuff exists, but is very expensive, and even if they can afford it there is usually a contact, or a streetwise roll to even find one available first.

With that said there is TL10 stuff scattered around from the pre-war, but these are 'artifact' level items and not usually something that is bought or sold.

Am I doing this wrong? It works for me so far, but I'd love to hear if I'm setting myself up for some pitfall in the future.
KalelChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 07:05 PM   #14
khorboth

I have a regular fantasy character who bought down from the default TL4(ish) to TL0. He is a half-ogre who uses a spear and has the quirk that he believes all "technology" is caused by spirits. Buildings are "cave spirits" swords are "fighting spirits" roads are "rock spirits" etc. The other players are frequently amazed at just what constitutes tech levels and what really isn't there for a true barbarian raised in a cave. They've finally talked him into using more modern armor than rough hide, but he can't maintain it.

Last edited by khorboth; 10-13-2020 at 09:30 PM.
khorboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 07:13 PM   #15
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalelChase View Post
I run an apocalyptic setting and use Low TL for every character in the starting point. It's a 'edge of the wilderness' town far from the domed precursor vault.

Am I doing this wrong? It works for me so far, but I'd love to hear if I'm setting myself up for some pitfall in the future.
Low TL may be correct here, but do consider what it entails. It doesn't just mean that their society has limited access to higher-tech items. It means that the characters cannot understand or learn to use some aspects of that technology without additional specialized training. They would need to gain two TL (or maybe two cutting edge perks, if those are stackable?) to be able to do anything with a personal computer or smartphone if they encountered one.

TL6 characters in a setting where TL8 technology is around but poorly distributed could make sense. So could TL8 characters who just have little to no access to TL8 hardware. Depends on what the intent is.

Tags
disadvantage of the week, low tl, primitive, tech level, technology level