Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-01-2017, 02:50 PM   #21
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: "Inflicting" Serendipity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanMikal View Post
Let's say the subject knows it's coming, and knows what it is, and *chooses* not to make a resistance roll, because they WANT to be 'inflicted' with Serendipity. How long does it last then?
This is covered under "Beneficial Afflictions", Powers p. 40. Basically, if the GM decides that an Affliction is purely good, and no one would ever want to resist it, they can declare it requires a successful HT roll to get it, with duration equal to margin of success. If the Affliction is modified by Malediction (which it sounds like this really should be), then with a beneficial Affliction the target can choose to waive their resistance roll, in which case the duration is strictly based on the user's margin of success.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 02:53 PM   #22
JanMikal

Basically what I want is this:

Person X is nice to my Fae character somehow. She 'blesses' him with 'financial success'. For the next week or so, he occasionally (maybe twice a day, tops) finds a couple dollars jammed in a bus seat, or maybe a $20 blowing down the sidewalk toward him. Then, let's say a week later, he wins some larger benefit - he hits the lottery for a couple thousand dollars, or maybe (and I really like this idea, because it fits the Fae screwed-if-you-do sort of contract mentality) he finds a wallet with a couple grand in it. Then, X no longer benefits from the blessing at all.

Can you all suggest an easy-ish path to this? With or without serendipity being in the mix.

Note: The subject (person X) shouldn't have ANY say in how the 'blessing' affects them.

Last edited by JanMikal; 11-01-2017 at 02:58 PM.
JanMikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 02:58 PM   #23
Refplace

Quote:
Can you all suggest an easy-ish path to this? With or without serendipity being in the mix.
See my answer back on page 1 of this thread. That does the larger part of what you asked for. Adding Gizmos could cover the little bits.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 02:59 PM   #24
JanMikal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
See my answer back on page 1 of this thread. That does the larger part of what you asked for. Adding Gizmos could cover the little bits.
I read Traveller's Blessing, and I don't like it. The person who has been blessed should have no say in how, when or where it works.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:07 PM   #25
Refplace

Quote:
I read Traveller's Blessing, and I don't like it. The person who has been blessed should have no say in how, when or where it works.
Fair enough. However that is still as I see it a perfect model for what you want powerwise. You just need to change the fluff and conditions. That is geared for Traveling, yours does not have the Wishing enhancement or the Aspected limitation.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 11-01-2017, 03:09 PM   #26
JanMikal

That's true, but Traveller's Blessing involves Divine Favor and all that - I don't want any of that. The person being blessed doesn't have to BELIEVE in it, or owe the 'blesser' any worship - it just works. We're talking about fae/faerie, not gods.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:12 PM   #27
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
That's true, but Traveller's Blessing involves Divine Favor and all that - I don't want any of that. The person being blessed doesn't have to BELIEVE in it, or owe the 'blesser' any worship - it just works. We're talking about fae/faerie, not gods.
To change those elements of Traveler's Blessing, simply remove the Divine modifier.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:17 PM   #28
Refplace

Quote:
Your taking this far too literally. I offered an example of a build that does the heart of what I thought your asking for which is a blessing that lasts till its used.
Here is a proposed build.
This blessing lasts until an important coincidence happens and it grants up to 3 events of finding minor items on your person or lying around.
Statistics: Affliction "Cats Blessing" (PM, Fae, -10%) [36]

"Cats Blessing" (Serendipity 1 + Gizmo 3) [30]
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 11-01-2017, 03:18 PM   #29
JanMikal

Traveller's Blessing requires Divine Favor 7 and is invoked by prayer.

I gotta say, with this Traveller's Blessing thing, it's like I asked for a Ferrari, and you gave me a Tesla, and now you're saying "No problem. If you take off the chassis, and take the engine out, and replace the interior, you can add all the Ferrari stuff".
Old 11-01-2017, 03:31 PM   #30
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
I gotta say, with this Traveller's Blessing thing, it's like I asked for a Ferrari, and you gave me a Tesla, and now you're saying "No problem. If you take off the chassis, and take the engine out, and replace the interior, you can add all the Ferrari stuff".
If you are asking for a solution that is nothing like the example, you will have to use some other system besides abilities to make it, like spells or rituals. Any ability based solution is going to have some of the same abilities and modifiers as Travelers Blessing.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
affliction, serendipity