Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 02-01-2009, 04:15 PM   #1
EpicBlake

Default The Grim Roper

My friend has the Good, the bad, and the Munchkin deck. The grim roper raises some questions. It says no card can be played to affect combat. Does that mean there is no way to buff, add a wandering monster, transfer the combat via transferal potion, or anything else to get rid of the monster to prevent a win?

He argues that nothing can be played on the card because the text states it. I believe that if the monster is fought through opening the door garage door opener (star munchkin) or the Re Boots (Super Munchkin) can stop the combat since they shut the door before combat can occur. I don't remember how Peace Pipe works, but I know it can end combats.

Is he right? Can nothing stop someone from beating the Grim Roper? Or am I also right with the garage door opener and re boots?

BTW, the peace pipe needs to say that after use it is discarded. It says all cards played on monsters are returned to the players who played them.
EpicBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:38 AM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: The Grim Roper

I'm looking at the Peace Pipe in the production database and it says "Usable once only," so either it's been fixed or you're mistaken that it's doesn't already say that. I don't remember seeing any cross chatter with the braintrust concerning this card, but that doesn't mean that it got handled inside SJG's walls, in the case where a copy went out with an error, but we'd also see that listed as errata, no?

Cards like the Re Boots and Garage Door Opener say that they nullify the opening of the door. If that's how Grim Roper was found, then yes, these cards would still work. Peace Pipe would not, in any case.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:12 AM   #3
EpicBlake

Ok, thank you. That will clear up his stubbornness. The peace pipe issue is also much appreciated.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:37 PM   #4
Lamentation

OK... we just had an issue with this exact card....

my friend just played the grim reaper card from his hand. He offhandedly mentioned beforehand that he would win without anyone being able to stop him. He then started to play it, and the moment he played it face up I layed down my card: "Medicine Show"... which declares I can play to cancel any just-drawn or just-played card. That card is discarded and has no effect... so what's the deal?

was he right or me.
Lamentation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:40 AM   #5
EpicBlake

Hhhhmmm, that sounds like how Time Warp from Star Munchkin works. I forgot about those cards. Could these work as well?
Old 02-05-2009, 05:27 AM   #6
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicBlake
Hhhhmmm, that sounds like how Time Warp from Star Munchkin works. I forgot about those cards. Could these work as well?
It cancels the card being played. How can it not work? It's one of those rare cases where something actually does cause something not to happen after the fact. That was the point I made before: If something actually cancels something, that's going to override something that blocks players from playing other cards if the something canceled is the card playing block. . .
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:06 AM   #7
EpicBlake

Thank you once more. This could help me in one of our games. If said situation happens and I have a Time Warp card.
Old 07-11-2015, 04:35 AM   #8
Grej

Can I play "Lose a level" card on player who fights Roper?? This card isn't played in combat, but it's affects the combat (player loses battle strength).
Grej is offline   Reply With Quote