Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-28-2013, 08:15 PM   #1
AlexAB

Default Detailed Damage System

Hi there! My name is Alex, and I have just joined the boards! Actually, I used to have another account here, but I no longer have that email address, and it was a really long time ago anyway. Still, nice to be back.

Anyway, I am finally coming back to GURPS as it seems I have finally found a group of players willing to play it. I am trying to get up to date with what has been released lately, either as a book, or as a pyramid article, or even as a blog post. It seems there is a whole lot of good stuff out there.

At any rate, the game I was planning to play would basically be a GURPS version of the Dark Heresy game. In other words, it is set in the universe of Warhammer 40k, with the players taking the role of more or less common citizens who end up being recruited by the inquisition to infiltrate suspect groups or to just keep an eye out for unseemly activities.

I am hoping to run this through a more sandbox approach, though, with the players possibly running several characters at once. I think one aspect that would be fun to emphasize are lasting effects of wounds, and problems with the Imperium's medicines. So, I was wondering if someone has made some kind of more detailed wound system for GURPS. Stuff like what kinds of disadvantages a character could get by being stabbed in the kidney, or a random table for brain damage as well as rules for when a hit to the head would cause such, etc. I figure I can mine GURPS Robots for ideas for mechanical substitutes as well as problems that using/installing these may cause.

Anyway, thanks in advance!
AlexAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:36 PM   #2
BraselC5048

Default Re: Detailed Damage System

Hello there. I'm pretty new to the forum, but GURPS Martial Arts has exactly what you're looking for in terms of 'harsh realism.' It's on page 136-139.

Interestingly, I use some of the rules from there in my games, and until just now I didn't realize that's where they're from. I use the 'torso hit's the vitals on a 1' and 'bleeding rolls every 30 seconds for some injuries' rules.

Hope this helps!
BraselC5048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:39 PM   #3
jamesfoxbr

Gurps Martial Art page 136 have some rules for more realistic injuries. You can find optional rules for more severe injury in Basic set too
jamesfoxbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:41 PM   #4
BraselC5048

Also, oddly enough, in my campaign good body armor and small piercing AP rounds with cruddy penetration left my character with a 9 hp gunshot to the vitals once, after wounding multipliers. Compact, full auto SMG's and armor piercing don't really go together.
BraselC5048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:00 PM   #5
AlexAB

Thanks guys, that really helps!
AlexAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:58 AM   #6
doulos05

Check out Bio-Tech too for all the gritty surgical modifications. Additionally I think it has some lasting wounds rules.
doulos05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:26 AM   #7
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexAB View Post
Hi there! My name is Alex, and I have just joined the boards! Actually, I used to have another account here, but I no longer have that email address, and it was a really long time ago anyway. Still, nice to be back.

Anyway, I am finally coming back to GURPS as it seems I have finally found a group of players willing to play it. I am trying to get up to date with what has been released lately, either as a book, or as a pyramid article, or even as a blog post. It seems there is a whole lot of good stuff out there.

At any rate, the game I was planning to play would basically be a GURPS version of the Dark Heresy game. In other words, it is set in the universe of Warhammer 40k, with the players taking the role of more or less common citizens who end up being recruited by the inquisition to infiltrate suspect groups or to just keep an eye out for unseemly activities.

I am hoping to run this through a more sandbox approach, though, with the players possibly running several characters at once. I think one aspect that would be fun to emphasize are lasting effects of wounds, and problems with the Imperium's medicines. So, I was wondering if someone has made some kind of more detailed wound system for GURPS. Stuff like what kinds of disadvantages a character could get by being stabbed in the kidney, or a random table for brain damage as well as rules for when a hit to the head would cause such, etc. I figure I can mine GURPS Robots for ideas for mechanical substitutes as well as problems that using/installing these may cause.

Anyway, thanks in advance!
If you haven't done it, I'd contact the mods so that they can be sure you're not sockpuppeting. And what was your old name - some of the old-timers may remember you?
Old 12-01-2013, 08:40 PM   #8
Agent

Possibly worth a look if wanting independently tracked wounds: http://panoptesv.com/RPGs/HouseRules/wounds.html
Old 12-01-2013, 10:38 PM   #9
safisher
Gunnery Sergeant,
 Imperial Marines
Coauthor,
 GURPS High-Tech

Biotech has rules for bleeding and giving blood and surgery and medical tech. High-Tech has some extra damage and wounding rules, plus information on medical equipment. And has been pointed out, Martial Arts has a vastly more detailed set of rules for taking damage, including new hit locations, extreme bleeding, dismemberment, and critical hits to various hit locations.
safisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:11 AM   #10
The Benj

I quite like the wound scaling from 5th Ed Hackmaster, where it takes x days for an x damage wound to become an x-1 damage wound. That kind of time scaling could convert well to GURPS, I think.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternate rules, injury, science fiction, warhammer 40k