Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-27-2015, 10:56 PM   #1
Koningkrush

Default Randy Orton RKO Technique?

Does anyone know how I would go about creating a RKO takedown? I would assume it would be a hybrid combination of Flying Tackle, Grapple, Takedown, and maybe Neck Snap all in one turn.

I wanted to make a NPC with a ton of skill in wrestling taking down people and pummeling their faces in. I figured it would be hilarious.

Now that I think about it, I wonder why people in the past never just did takedowns on people in platemail. It would be a lot easier than sword clanking for half an hour.

Last edited by Koningkrush; 09-27-2015 at 11:05 PM.
Koningkrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 11:16 PM   #2
Phantasm

Default Re: Randy Orton RKO Technique?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koningkrush View Post
Now that I think about it, I wonder why people in the past never just did takedowns on people in platemail. It would be a lot easier than sword clanking for half an hour.
If you look at the late medieval to mid-Renaissance-era (ca 1300-1600 AD) fighting manuals for soldiers, you'll find they have a heavy emphasis on wrestling moves coupled with slipping a smaller blade into the chinks in the armor. The "sword clanking for half an hour" was mostly for show at the tournaments, where combat wasn't supposed to be deadly.

In fact, once you got a lot of plate on the battlefield, the weapons shifted from swords to maces, war picks, and all variety of polearms, which were meant to crush the armor into a person or pierce the armor better than a sword could.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 03:17 AM   #3
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Does anyone know how I would go about creating a RKO takedown? I would assume it would be a hybrid combination of Flying Tackle, Grapple, Takedown, and maybe Neck Snap all in one turn.
If this was a "real" move designed to actually hurt somebody's neck, I'd call it a Neck Grapple and then a Head Lock (4e Martial Arts p 74) followed by a Sacrifice Throw From Lock (MA p 118-119), playing out over three turns, but the way Orton's doing it is probably more like AoA Double to Grapple Torso (Using Wrestling Art to make it look like the neck is the point of leverage) + Sacrifice Throw (MA p 78-79).
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 04:28 AM   #4
Gold & Appel Inc

Upon review of the text, I have been reminded that Sacrifice Throw is already an AoA variant, so the non-Kayfabe realistic version of the RKO can't be an AoA Double. By the RAW, you could either play it out across two turns, or say that Orton uses Gesture or Pro Skill (WWE) to telegraph the move, and then both wrestlers make a roll against best of Acrobatics, Performance (WWE) floated to DX, or Wrestling Art to "sell" it.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 05:47 AM   #5
Railstar

Quote:

I wanted to make a NPC with a ton of skill in wrestling taking down people and pummeling their faces in. I figured it would be hilarious.

First of all, they did. This, Is, SwArta! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4k-vjdeZO4

As for the RKO, it is a cutter/stunner move, which means it would be an attack to the face rather than a Neck Snap. It would be obviously Cinematic.

For most cutter-based moves, I would treat it as a Rapid Strike with a grapple (-6 or -4), followed up by a Sacrifice Throw done as a damaging throw as a Targeted Attack to the face (-6 penalty, or -10/-12 with Rapid Strike) AND Springing Attack (-2 penalty = -8 to the grapple and -12/-14 to the throw).

Obviously this will require a lot of points to make viable. Techniques can buy off the penalties for Springing Attack & Targeted Attack (Sacrifice Throw/Face), and you can buy off the Rapid Strike penalty as a Combination. The Trademark Move perk will help.

The throw would do Thrust-1 damage, +2 for Springing Attack, and the bonus from the Wrestling skill if you have the Technique Adaptation perk, for a total of Thrust+3 damage to the face.

If you can only buy part of it, the Springing Attack and Combination techniques will improve the rolls for both grapple and throw.
Railstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:43 AM   #6
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

For Technical Grappling:

Head grapple, followed by Force Posture Change where the attacker gains maximum bonus for dropping prone himself. I've got some musings on Damaging Takedowns on ye olde blogge if you insist on doing damage with the Force Posture Change, which given the move, is what's supposed to happen.

You could also model this with a Grab-and-Smash.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
homebrew, techniques