Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-10-2015, 11:08 PM   #21
Captain Joy

Default Re: Width vs depth, IQ vs DX skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halinn View Post
Do you happen to have a link to that? I'll be playing in a space game soon, and making sure we don't forget to cover something would be nice.
Hey, I did something similar for my Star Trek game if you want to take a look. You'll need to click the "Tech Skill Triads" switch towards the bottom of the display.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 06:30 AM   #22
wellspring

To the other good points here, I think it's worth adding that while we've discussed skill overlap in the past, it feels like it comes up more often with academic skills. My go-to example is economics, finance, market analysis.
wellspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:41 AM   #23
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellspring View Post
To the other good points here, I think it's worth adding that while we've discussed skill overlap in the past, it feels like it comes up more often with academic skills. My go-to example is economics, finance, market analysis.
Oh, no, those are clearly distinct skills with almost no overlap.

Economics is primarily a theoretical science. If you got a job doing it you would be working as a teacher or researcher; or perhaps as an advisor to a large business on the likely economic situation several years hence, or to a government agency on the likely outcomes of a new regulatory policy or law, in which case you would most likely be giving bonuses to Merchant, Finance, Law, Politics, or Administration rolls with a complementary skill roll.

Finance is an applied science. Its main focus is on raising funds for large projects; secondarily it looks at investing funds well to gain a good return. It's largely strategic in application. There actually seem to be two subbranches: in business you would be getting funds from investors; in government you would be taking them in through taxes—and you might consult an economist about the social impact of those taxes, a politician about whether they could be enacted, a lawyer about whether the courts would strike them down, or even a philosopher about whether they were just; a Finance roll would tell you whether they were collectible and how much revenue they would raise. But none of that is the main focus of economics.

Market Analysis is a very specialized applied science: It guides you in playing the high-stakes game of buying and selling, particularly of commodities and commodities futures, but more generally in any market where investments turn over regularly and you need to bet on the right ones. This has very little to do with finance, and it's not clear that economics is a big help in it; I don't think being an economist will train you to do it right. This is the one of those three skills that I think could most readily have been cut, as it's rarely a thing PCs will do other than as a boring job, PCs who do it aren't likely to have time for adventuring, and I'm not really seeing much interesting game mechanics for it.

Those are a lot more distinct than Knife, Shortsword, Broadsword, Two-Handed Sword, Force Sword, Rapier, Smallsword, and Main-Gauche.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
skills