Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-05-2011, 09:53 AM   #481
mmeloche

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

I think I have a modification for you for your version of Beast. I was reading through Supers and noticed they applied the Rapid Fire Modifier to Warp (Supers p. 29), allowing for multiple successive hops.

From there, I came to the following:
Super Jump (Mutant -10%, Bouncing +50%, Rapid Fire 4 +70%) [21]

This would not allow greater distance per jump, but would allow chaining of jumps letting him perform the rolling/tumbling/bouncing method of travel he is famous for.
mmeloche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:14 AM   #482
vitruvian

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeloche View Post
I think I have a modification for you for your version of Beast. I was reading through Supers and noticed they applied the Rapid Fire Modifier to Warp (Supers p. 29), allowing for multiple successive hops.

From there, I came to the following:
Super Jump (Mutant -10%, Bouncing +50%, Rapid Fire 4 +70%) [21]

This would not allow greater distance per jump, but would allow chaining of jumps letting him perform the rolling/tumbling/bouncing method of travel he is famous for.
What would the actual advantage of this be game mechanically, as opposed to just having him use his regular Move and make it acrobatic with a skill roll? It doesn't seem that it would let him go anywhere he couldn't already go, or offer any combat benefits.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:05 PM   #483
mmeloche

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
What would the actual advantage of this be game mechanically, as opposed to just having him use his regular Move and make it acrobatic with a skill roll? It doesn't seem that it would let him go anywhere he couldn't already go, or offer any combat benefits.
1. Combined with Extra Attack(Multi-Strike), it would allow multiple slams in one turn (and the bouncing modifiers gives you a huge edge when slamming).
2. It should allow "Tic Tac" as described in Martial Arts (pg. 106).
3. Jump onto the truck, jump onto the fire escape, jump onto the roof, jump into mid-air to catch the falling teammate just became one acrobatic maneuveur.
4. It will let you move considerably faster than you otherwise could, while remaining faithful to the character
Old 07-05-2011, 12:30 PM   #484
vitruvian

Quote:
1. Combined with Extra Attack(Multi-Strike), it would allow multiple slams in one turn (and the bouncing modifiers gives you a huge edge when slamming).
This would make it pretty worthwhile, and truly parallel to the use of the same enhancement for Warp, I suppose. As to the other factors, though...

Quote:
2. It should allow "Tic Tac" as described in Martial Arts (pg. 106).
You should be able to do a 'Tic Tac' without either the Super Jump advantage or any enhancement on it, no? IDHMBWM, but I'm pretty sure neither is mentioned on that page in Martial Arts...

Quote:
3. Jump onto the truck, jump onto the fire escape, jump onto the roof, jump into mid-air to catch the falling teammate just became one acrobatic maneuveur.
Not as clear, but I'm not sure that any such enhancement should be required to do this sort of thing anyway, provided you can make your Acrobatics roll with suitable penalties and the falling teammate is within your reach in terms of Move or jumping distance.

Quote:
4. It will let you move considerably faster than you otherwise could, while remaining faithful to the character
If it doesn't add to jumping distance, as you originally stated, it also doesn't add to jumping velocity, so it wouldn't let you move any faster than unmodified Super Jump or your ground Move does.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:39 PM   #485
mmeloche

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
If it doesn't add to jumping distance, as you originally stated, it also doesn't add to jumping velocity, so it wouldn't let you move any faster than unmodified Super Jump or your ground Move does.
My intent was that it did not add to jumping distance "per jump" (and that you have four), but I think I'm seeing the problem now -- if you're making a jump that takes 1 second to complete, and then making another 3 similar jumps, you've used 4 seconds, not 1. I know this *should* be obvious... but I'm going to go have some more coffee.

Excusie!
Old 07-05-2011, 06:27 PM   #486
chandley

Quote:
My intent was that it did not add to jumping distance "per jump" (and that you have four), but I think I'm seeing the problem now -- if you're making a jump that takes 1 second to complete, and then making another 3 similar jumps, you've used 4 seconds, not 1. I know this *should* be obvious... but I'm going to go have some more coffee.

Excusie!
Meh, for the cost of Rapid Fire I dont see a problem making all potential jumps occurring in 1 second. Its not like Rapid Fire Warp stacks the no-preparation modifier after all. And its roughly comparable to buying enough Enhanced Move (Ground) with Limited by Margin 4 and Requires Skill Roll (which would ALSO let you jump farther, if you took a running start to do so).
chandley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:00 AM   #487
Phantasm

re: Beast's leaping ability

I've decided to delve eyeballs deep into the X-folks next, so I'll certainly keep all suggestions in mind when I revise him. (He, as well as several of the other X-folks, need some revision anyways.)

And trust me, you'll love what I've got planned for Gyrich. *heh* *heh* *heh*. . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infornific
Also, is there any overall guideline to how these stats are chosen?
I look at it as an art, not a science. I did the original heroes in somewhat of a rush, and as I look at some of the choices I made I don't think I made the right ones.

Basically, though, I want to keep 15 as the maximum DX/IQ/HT stat without a superhuman boost, using Talents and other Advantages to increase an effective stat higher. This allows me to keep the maximum stat even for those who are said to have "superhuman agility" or "superhuman intelligence" at 20.

It may not be the best method, and will often fly in the face of some fanboys' ideas of what their favorite character should be able to do (no offense intended to any said fanboys), but overall I find it balanced.

(Note that I am not a Stat Normalizer! I do not subscribe to the Cult of Stat Normalization. I've made "normal human" characters with DX 16 or IQ 18 in the past, and had fun playing them. As some have no doubt noticed, I am also not a min-maxing optimizer. I have changed my opinions on Super ST now that I have it grokked; many of the super-strong tanks and scrappers are picking up the trait, instead of awkward levels of Striking and Lifting ST.)

Clear as mud?

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:04 AM   #488
Phantasm

AMPHIBIUS

Identity: Amphibius's existence is unknown to the general public.
Legal Status: None.
Other Aliases: None.
Place of Birth: The Savage Land.
Marital Status: Single.
Known Relatives: None.
Group Affiliation: Savage Land Mutates.
Base of Operations: The Savage Land.
History: The origins of the creature known as Amphibius are currently a mystery. He is – or was – apparently a human who was born in the Savage Land, a hidden "lost world" in Antarctica, who was mutated to his current form in some as-yet unexplained manner (see Savage Land). He and the other Savage Land Mutates first clashed with the mutant adventurers known as the X-Men on the latter's first trip to the Savage Land (see Savage Land Mutates; X-Men). The Mutates' mysterious "Master" ordered them to attack the visiting X-Men, but they were defeated.

Amphibius has since been seen with the other Savage Land Mutates in their subsequent clashes with the Avengers and the Brotherhood of Mutants (see Avengers; Brotherhood of Mutants).

Of all the Mutates, Amphibius is perhaps the most angry and short-tempered, probably because he resents the inhuman form he has been given.
Height: 6' (normally appears as smaller due to his stance).
Weight: 145 lbs.
Eyes: Black.
Hair: None.
Skin: Green with black spots.
Other Distinguishing Features: Amphibius has the form of a humanoid frog.
Uniform: White chest piece with water circulation tubes running to a water tank on the back; water tank is also held by a black belt around his waist.
Strength Level: Amphibius has the normal human strength of a man of his apparent age, height, and build who engages in regular exercise. His leg muscles are stronger than his build would suggest, giving him superhuman leaping and kicking ability.
Known Superhuman Powers: Amphibius possesses superhuman strength in his legs, enabling him to leap incredible distances and to kick with greater than human strength. In addition, his fingers and toes end in suction cups, enabling him to cling to most surfaces. His eyes have been adapted to see into the ultraviolet spectrum as well as the visual spectrum, enabling him to see fairly clearly underwater. His mutated form enables him to swim at speeds up to 30 miles per hour.
Limitations: Amphibius requires near-constant contact with water to avoid dehydrating; his uniform enables him to exist in most environments by supplying excess water. Under normal circumstances, his uniform's water tank will enable him to be active for up to twelve hours before needing to be refilled.

330 points
Attributes:
ST 11 [10]; DX 13 [60]; IQ 10 [0]; HT 11 [10].
Secondary Characteristics: Dmg 1d-1/1d+1; BL 24 lbs; HP 11 [0]; Will 10 [0]; Per 12 [10]; FP 11 [0]; Basic Speed 6 [0]; Basic Move 6 [0]; Basic Water Move 7 [5]; Dodge 13.
Languages: English (Accented Spoken/Illiterate) [2]; Savage Land Speech (Native Spoken/Illiterate) (Native Language) [-3].
Cultural Familiarities: Savage Land [0].
Advantages: Amphibious [10]; Catfall [10]; Clinging [20]; Combat Reflexes [15]; Enhanced Dodge 3 [45]; Enhanced Move (Water) 1 (Water Move 14/28 mph) [20]; Fit [5]; Flexibility [5]; Hard to Kill 3 [6]; Hard to Subdue 3 [6]; Natural Diver 2 [10]; Night Vision 5 [5]; Outdoorsman 2 [20]; Patron (Apocalypse) (Equipment: More than Starting Wealth, +100; Special Abilities: Possesses Equipment from a Higher TL, +100%) (9) [30]; Peripheral Vision [15]; Striking ST +9 (One Attack Only: Kicks, -60%) [18]; Super Jump 4 [40]; Ultravision [10].
Perks: Acrobatic Kicks [1]; Sanitized Metabolism [1]; Sea Legs [1]; Sure-Footed (Uneven) [1].
Disadvantages: Appearance (Unattractive) [-4]; Bad Back (Mild) [-15]; Bad Temper (9) [-15]; Code of Honor (Pirate's) [-5]; Dependency (Water; Very Common; Hourly) [-20]; Disturbing Voice [-10]; Duty (to Patron) (12) [-10]; Hidebound [-5]; Jealousy [-10]; Low TL -8 [-40]; Selfish (12) [-5]; Semi-Upright [-5]; Sense of Duty (Fellow Mutates) [-5]; Social Stigma (Freak) [-10]; Wealth (Poor) [-15].
Quirks: Attentive [-1]; Bowlegged [-1]; Yes-Man [-1].
Skills: Acrobatics (H) DX+3 [16] – 16; Area Knowledge (Savage Land) (E) IQ+2 [4] – 12; Armoury/TL0 (Melee Weapons) (A) IQ+0 [2] – 10; Astronomy/TL0 (Observational) (A) IQ+0 [2] – 10; Blowpipe (H) DX+0 [4] – 13; Boating/TL0 (Unpowered) (A) DX+0 [2] – 13; Brawling (E) DX+2 [4] – 15; Camouflage (E) IQ+4 [3] – 14*; Climbing (A) DX+2 [1] – 15†; Fast-Draw (Knife) (E) DX+1 [1] – 14‡; First Aid/TL0 (E) IQ+2 [4] – 12; Fishing (E) Per+2 [4] – 14#; Jumping (E) DX+3 [8] – 16; Knife (E) DX+0 [1] – 13; Mimicry (Animal Sounds) (H) IQ+2 [4] – 12#; Naturalist (Savage Land) (H) IQ+2 [4] – 12#; Navigation/TL0 (Land) (A) IQ+1 [1] – 11#; Observation (A) Per+0 [2] – 12; Running (A) HT+1 [4] – 12; Spear (A) DX+2 [8] – 15; Stealth (A) DX+1 [4] – 14; Survival (Jungle) (A) Per+2 [2] – 14#; Swimming (E) HT+5 [8] – 16§; Tactics (H) IQ+1 [8] – 11; Thrown Weapon (Spear) (E) DX+2 [4] – 15; Tracking (A) Per+2 [1] – 13#; Traps/TL0 (A) IQ+2 [8] – 12; Weather Sense (A) IQ+1 [4] – 11; Wrestling (A) DX+1 [4] – 14.
Features: High-Pressure Lungs [0].
Starting Spending Money: $800 (20% of Starting Wealth).

* Defaulted from Survival (Jungle).
† Includes +3 from Flexibility.
‡ Includes +1 from Combat Reflexes.
# Includes +2 from Outdoorsman.
§ Includes +2 from Natural Diver

Design Notes:
1. Amphibius, and all the Savage Land Mutates, have their social traits calculated for TL8 campaigns. In campaigns set entirely in the Savage Land, remove Low TL -8 and raise Wealth to Average, a net increase of .55 points, and permit them to take 100% of their Wealth as Starting Cash ($250).
2. In Year Two or Year Three, the Savage Land Mutates' Patron will be revealed as none other than Apocalypse. As I am only chronicling Year One at this time, however, GMs are free to make their mysterious Patron whoever they wish.

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:07 PM   #489
Phantasm

Updated Angel. Man, I've been working on this since '07? It's been a while.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:09 PM   #490
Phantasm

ARCADE

Identity: Secret.
Legal Status: Presumably a citizen of the United States; criminal record unknown.
Other Aliases: None.
Place of Birth: Unrevealed.
Marital Status: Single.
Known Relatives: Parents (names unrevealed, allegedly deceased).
Group Affiliation: None.
Base of Operations: Various "Murderworlds" in undisclosed locations; at least one was located underneath Coney Island in New York City.
History: Very little is known of the early life of the man calling himself Arcade. What is known is that he is apparently independently wealthy and an assassin for hire who, bored of killing his targets using mundane methods, has turned his intellect towards devising complex death-traps he calls "Murderworlds" to execute his victims. He designs and constructs special traps within Murderworlds for individual victims after studying potential victims from afar for specific weaknesses. To Arcade, the game itself is more important than the expense of the Murderworld's construction – which often exceeds the one million dollars per victim he charges – or even the winning. He has been known to release victims from a Murderworld should they beat the "game". He is accompanied by two assistants, known only as Ms. Locke and Mr. Chambers.

It has been speculated that Arcade also engages in legitimate architectural designs for various clients who are either unaware of or don't care about his criminal actions.
Recently, Arcade was contracted by an unknown party to capture and kill the X-Men, who he released after they managed to survive a Murderworld located underneath Coney Island (see X-Men). He and his assistants have since been seen stalking Spider-Man and Captain America (see Captain America; Spider-Man).
Height: 5' 6".
Weight: 140 lbs.
Eyes: Blue.
Hair: Red.
Uniform: None.
Strength Level: Arcade possesses the normal human strength of a man his age, height, and build who engages in moderate exercise.
Known Superhuman Powers: None.
Other Abilities: Arcade has a genius-level I.Q. with a natural aptitude for mechanics, architecture, and applied technology.

Arcade: You can't tell me you didn't have fun! – Excalibur v1

240 points
Attributes:
ST 10 [0]; DX 10 [0]; IQ 13 [60]; HT 10 [0].
Secondary Characteristics: Dmg 1d-2/1d; BL 20 lbs; HP 10 [0]; Will 10 [-15]; Per 13 [0]; FP 10 [0]; Basic Speed 5 [0]; Basic Move 5 [0]; Dodge 8.
Languages: English (Native) (Native Language) [0].
Cultural Familiarities: Western [0].
Advantages: Ally (Mr. Chambers, Mechanical Assistant; 25% of starting points) (12) [2]; Ally (Ms. Locke, Confidante; 25% of starting points) (15) [3]; Artificer 4 [40]; High Manual Dexterity 2 [10]; Independent Income 10 [10]; Master Builder 4 [20]; Status 2 [0*]; Wealth (Multimillionaire 2) [100].
Perks: Disarming Smile [1].
Disadvantages: Code of Honor (Sportsman's) [-10]; Combat Paralysis [-15]; Secret Identity (Imprisonment) [-20]; Trademark (Elaborate Theme Park Styled Death-Traps) [-15]; Trickster (9) [-22].
Quirks: Imaginative [-1]; Wicked Sense of Humor [-1].
Skills: Architecture/TL8 (A) IQ+5 [4] – 18†; Armoury/TL8 (Missile Weapons) (A) IQ+5 [4] – 18‡; Armoury/TL8 (Small Arms) (A) IQ+5 [4] – 18‡; Artist (Scene Design) (H) IQ-1 [1] – 12#; Camouflage (E) IQ+1 [2] – 14; Computer Operation/TL8 (E) IQ+1 [2] – 14; Computer Programming/TL8 (H) IQ+1 [8] – 14; Diplomacy (H) IQ-1 [2] – 12; Electrician/TL8 (A) IQ+5 [4] – 18‡; Electronics Operation/TL8 (Security) (A) IQ+0 [2] – 13; Electronics Operation/TL8 (Surveillance) (A) IQ+0 [2] – 13; Electronics Repair/TL8 (Computers) (A) IQ+5 [4] – 18‡; Electronics Repair/TL8 (Security) (A) IQ+5 [4] – 18‡; Electronics Repair/TL8 (Sensors) (A) IQ+5 [4] – 18‡; Electronics Repair/TL8 (Surveillance) (A) IQ+5 [4] – 18‡; Engineer/TL8 (Electrical) (H) IQ+6 [1] – 19†‡; Engineer/TL8 (Electronics) IQ+6 [1] – 19†‡; Explosives/TL8 (Demolition) (A) IQ+1 [4] – 14; Guns/TL8 (Pistol) (E) DX+2 [4] – 12; Intelligence Analysis/TL8 (H) IQ+0 [4] – 13; Mathematics/TL8 (Applied) IQ-1 [2] – 12; Mechanic/TL8 (Clockwork) (A) IQ+5 [4] – 18‡; Mechanic/TL8 (Legged Motive System) (A) IQ+5 [4] – 18‡; Mechanic/TL8 (Robotics) (A) IQ+5 [4] – 18‡; Observation (A) Per+1 [4] – 14; Savoir-Faire (High Society) (E) IQ+0 [1] – 13; Savoir-Faire (Mafia) (E) IQ+0 [1] – 13; Smuggling (A) IQ+0 [2] – 13; Streetwise (A) IQ+0 [2] – 13; Traps/TL8 (A) IQ+1 [4] – 14.
Starting Spending Money: $40,000,000 (20% of Starting Wealth).

* Includes +2 from Wealth.
† Includes +4 from Master Builder.
‡ Includes +4 from Artificer.
# Defaulted from Architecture.

Design Notes:
1. Arcade's Murderworlds are each custom-built for his targets. GMs needing ideas are encouraged to look at Dungeon Fantasy 2: Dungeons, remembering that his "monsters" are usually in the form of remote-controlled robots.

Tags
avengers, captain america, captain marvel, chandley, character creation, chargen, iron man, marvel, phantasm, supers, thor, x-men