Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-13-2015, 11:02 AM   #1051
Phantasm

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

It's not dead yet!

BATROC, GEORGES

Occupation: Mercenary, former soldier and professional prize fighter.
Identity: Publicly known.
Legal Status: Citizen of France with an international criminal record.
Other Aliases: The Leaper.
Place of Birth: Marseilles, France.
Marital Status: Unrevealed.
Known Relatives: None.
Group Affiliation: Batroc's Brigade, formerly the French Army.
Base of Operations: Mobile.
History: Georges Batroc first earned fame on the savate circuit in France as one of the youngest competitors, fighting multiple championship bouts before reaching the age of eighteen. Forced for a time to give up competitive fighting when he enlisted in the French Army, Batroc earned a reputation as a discipline problem with a penchant for insubordination. Despite this, he always completed his missions, though not always in the ways that his immediate superiors wanted him to.

Given an involuntary discharge upon completing his tour of duty, Batroc soon found his skills in demand as a mercenary. With the recent rise of costumed adventurers, Batroc designed a uniform for himself. At first billing himself as the Leaper, he ambushed and fought Captain America to a standstill as a means of advertising his skills (see Captain America). (Batroc has since dropped the "Leaper" moniker to use only his last name.)

Needing help on a mission, he found other non-powered costumed mercenaries at one of the so-called Bars With No Name, a drinking and networking establishment for the super-criminal element (see Bar With No Name). This was the first time he formed what has become known as Batroc's Brigade (see Batroc's Brigade).

Over the last few months, Batroc and his Brigade have fought not only Captain America but also Angel of the X-Men, Daredevil, Iron Fist, and Spider-Woman (see individual entries). Most of his clients hire him when expecting costumed opposition; that he, too, wears a colorful outfit ensures that the ensuing fight remains focused on him rather than his clients.

Recently, however, Batroc was hired by Captain America to assist in taking down the criminal "academy" run by the Taskmaster (see Taskmaster). During the course of this caper, it was then revealed that Batroc and the Taskmaster have a long-standing rivalry, the origin of which has not yet been revealed.
Height: 6'.
Weight: 205 lbs.
Eyes: Brown.
Hair: Black.
Uniform: Purple and gold bodysuit, gold gloves, gold boots, gold belt, gold cowl with black whatever-those-are over the eyes.
Strength Level: Georges Batroc possesses the normal human strength of a man his age, height, and build who engages in intensive regular exercise.
Known Superhuman Powers: None.
Other Abilities: Batroc is an expert hand to hand combatant specializing in the French martial art savate. An avid parkour athlete, he has adapted several parkour moves into his style. He is also skilled in the use of modern firearms.

505 points
Attributes:
ST 15 [50]; DX 13 [60]; IQ 11 [20]; HT 13 [30].
Secondary Characteristics: Dmg 1d+1/2d+1; BL 45 lbs.; HP 17 [4]; Will 11 [0]; Per 12 [5]; FP 13 [0]; Basic Speed 6.50 [0]; Basic Move 6 [0]; Dodge 13.
Languages: English (Accented) [4]; French (Native) (Native Language) [0].
Cultural Familiarities: Western [0].
Advantages: Combat Reflexes [15]; Damage Resistance 1 (Tough Skin, -40%) [3]; Enhanced Dodge 3 [45]; Enhanced Parry (Unarmed) 3 [15]; Extra Attack 1 [25]; Flexibility [5]; Hard to Kill 3 [6]; Hard to Subdue 3 [6]; High Pain Threshold [10]; Resistant to Poisons (+3) [5]; Striking ST +4 (Kick Only, -60%) [8]; Trained By A Master [30]; Unfazeable [15]; Very Fit [15]; Wealth (Wealthy) [20].
Perks: Focused Fury [1]; Special Exercises (DR 1 with Tough Skin) [1]; Special Exercises (Striking ST +1) 4 [4]; Style Familiarity (Savate); Technique Mastery (Kicking) [1].
Disadvantages: Code of Honor (Professional) [-5]; Enemy (Taskmaster; Rival) (9) [-5]; Overconfidence (9) [-7]; Social Stigma (Criminal Record) [-5]; Stubbornness [-5].
Quirks: Dislikes Monty Python References [-1]; Exaggerates His Accent [-1]; Holds His Mercenary Allies To His Professional Code [-1]; Wants To Prove Skill Is As Important As Powers [-1].
Skills: Acrobatics (H) DX+3 [16] – 16; Climbing (A) DX+2 [1] – 15*; Flying Leap (H) IQ+1 [8] – 12; Guns/TL8 (Rifle) (E) DX+0 [1] – 13; Jumping (E) DX+2 [4] – 15; Karate (H) DX+7 [32] – 20; Karate Art (H) DX+5 [4] – 18†; Karate Sport (H) DX+5 [4] – 18†; Knife (E) DX+2 [4] – 15; Observation (A) Per+1 [4] – 13; Parachuting/TL8 (E) DX+0 [1] – 13; Power Blow (H) Will+1 [8] – 12; Running (A) HT+1 [4] – 14; Savoir-Faire (Dojo) (E) IQ+1 [2] – 12; Stealth (A) DX+0 [2] – 13; Streetwise (A) IQ+1 [4] – 12; Swimming (E) HT+1 [2] – 14; Throwing (A) DX+0 [2] – 13; Wrestling (A) DX+3 [12] – 16.
Techniques: Acrobatic Stand (Acrobatics) (A) def+5 [6] – 16; Kicking (Karate) (H) def+6 [7] – 24; Spinning Kick (H) def+3 [4] – 20.
Starting Spending Money: $20,000 (20% of Starting Wealth).

* Includes +3 from Flexibility.
† Defaulted from Karate.

Role-Playing Notes:
Batroc is a man who is constantly seeking to improve his skills and prove that superior skill is still a viable resource in the world of the superhuman. He's constantly on the lookout for others to test his skills against. He holds himself to a mercenary's code of honor: always complete the mission, never betray your client, and keep the bystanders out of the crossfire; he also expects those in his employ to abide by the same code.

Feel free to make his French accent, in the words of Monty Python, outrageous!

Edit: Added in 2 additional levels of ST, added Striking ST +4, and adjusted Perks and Quirks with minor updates. At present, his Karate Parry is 17 and he is kicking for 2d+3 cr, according to GCA's math.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting

Last edited by Phantasm; 08-05-2015 at 11:27 AM. Reason: fixed a typo
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 12:12 PM   #1052
Culture20

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
gold cowl with black whatever-those-are over the eyes.
Looks like an overly stylish domino mask.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 12:31 PM   #1053
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
Looks like an overly stylish domino mask.
Huh, didn't think the long flaps built into the cowl and extending over the forehead worn by both Batroc and Wolvie counted as a "domino" mask. Domino masks are usually "eyes only", like what Bucky, the Phantom, and the Lone Ranger wore.

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:06 PM   #1054
Otaku

Quote:
Known Relatives: None.
Intentionally leaving out Marie Batroc or was she just too obscure? If I hadn't known what I was looking for from catching what appears to be her lone comic book appearance, I probably wouldn't have found her.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:07 PM   #1055
chandley

Quote:
It's not dead yet!

BATROC, GEORGES

[ At first billing himself as the Leaper, he ambushed and fought Captain America to a standstill as a means of advertising his skills (see Captain America). (Batroc has since dropped the "Leaper" moniker to use only his last name.)

Dodge 13.
Enhanced Dodge 3 [45]; Enhanced Parry (Bare Hands) [15];
Karate (H) DX+7 [32] – 20;

Techniques: Acrobatic Stand (Acrobatics) (A) def+5 [6] – 16; Kicking (Karate) (H) def+6 [7] – 24; Spinning Kick (H) def+3 [4] – 20.
Not to pick nits, but... Im not sure how this guy fights your Captain America to a standstill in GURPS terms :). Yeah, he has a 6 point skill advantage in kicks, but that is just barely enough to even out Captain Americas Parry advantage given his Shield DB. Without the Shield (if like in the second movie, he somehow taunted Cap into putting the shield away), I believe this is Batroc Kicking at Deceptive Attak -8, rolling against a 16 vs Caps Parry of 12 for 1d+4 cr, vs Captain America throwing bombs at Deceptive Attack -2, rolling against a 16 vs this guys Parry of 13... for 2d+4 cr, assuming Cap doesnt actually use his Boxing Counterattack to drop Batrocs Parry by another -2... Caps got 10 more HPs to soak up any lucky hits, Batroc is going down like a dress at prom as soon as Cap connects.

Am I missing an important detail about how this guy managed to make the word standstill a thing you would use?

(I say this half in jest of course. Batroc rubs me the wrong way).
Old 03-13-2015, 08:56 PM   #1056
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
Intentionally leaving out Marie Batroc or was she just too obscure? If I hadn't known what I was looking for from catching what appears to be her lone comic book appearance, I probably wouldn't have found her.
Intentionally left her off, though not because she's obscure or a dislike (I actually enjoyed that story you mention, and found the character of Marie to be interesting). I just feel like even giving him a known family this early might be a little off, even if he has one. Marie at this time would probably be a pre-teen anyway (although it might be a reason for him to keep mixing it up with the spandex set....).

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandley View Post
Not to pick nits, but... Im not sure how this guy fights your Captain America to a standstill in GURPS terms :). Yeah, he has a 6 point skill advantage in kicks, but that is just barely enough to even out Captain Americas Parry advantage given his Shield DB. Without the Shield (if like in the second movie, he somehow taunted Cap into putting the shield away), I believe this is Batroc Kicking at Deceptive Attak -8, rolling against a 16 vs Caps Parry of 12 for 1d+4 cr, vs Captain America throwing bombs at Deceptive Attack -2, rolling against a 16 vs this guys Parry of 13... for 2d+4 cr, assuming Cap doesnt actually use his Boxing Counterattack to drop Batrocs Parry by another -2... Caps got 10 more HPs to soak up any lucky hits, Batroc is going down like a dress at prom as soon as Cap connects.

Am I missing an important detail about how this guy managed to make the word standstill a thing you would use?

(I say this half in jest of course. Batroc rubs me the wrong way).
I haven't fully run the numbers yet, as I'm still revising Cap, which will probably necessitate a reworking of Batroc's numbers. I see the two getting into one of those really long fights where no one lands a blow because everyone's succeeding at their Parry, Block, or Dodge rolls, until one of them gets lucky. It must be noted that in most of their fights, Cap was the winner, either through skill or through Batroc making a tactical retreat after his clients completed their run.

Last edited by Phantasm; 03-14-2015 at 07:43 AM.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:16 AM   #1057
Infornific

Quote:

Attributes:[/B] ST 13 [30]; DX 13 [60]; IQ 11 [20]; HT 13 [30].
Secondary Characteristics: Dmg 1d/2d-1; BL 34 lbs.; HP 15 [4]; Will 11 [0]; Per 12 [5]; FP 13 [0]; Basic Speed 6.50 [0]; Basic Move 6 [0]; Dodge 13.
Languages: English (Accented) [4]; French (Native) (Native Language) [0].
Cultural Familiarities: Western [0].
Advantages: Combat Reflexes [15]; Damage Resistance 1 (Tough Skin, -40%) [3]; Enhanced Dodge 3 [45]; Enhanced Parry (Bare Hands) [15];
For a 205 lb martial artist who engages in intensive physical exercise, ST seems low. On size alone he could qualify for ST 11 or 12. Toss in Olympic level physical conditioning and ST 15 seems more reasonable. I think the official Batroc can "press" 500 lbs which suggests a ST as high as 17 or 18.

Also, I assume that's three levels of Enhanced Parry (Bare Hands.)

Have you thought about adding Striker (Limbs) for his legs or Striking ST (Kicking only -60%)? It would play up his ultimate kicker shtick.
Infornific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 11:37 AM   #1058
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infornific View Post
For a 205 lb martial artist who engages in intensive physical exercise, ST seems low. On size alone he could qualify for ST 11 or 12. Toss in Olympic level physical conditioning and ST 15 seems more reasonable. I think the official Batroc can "press" 500 lbs which suggests a ST as high as 17 or 18.

Also, I assume that's three levels of Enhanced Parry (Bare Hands.)

Have you thought about adding Striker (Limbs) for his legs or Striking ST (Kicking only -60%)? It would play up his ultimate kicker shtick.
1) Hmm... That would certainly help in fighting Cap to a standstill.

2) Yes, yes it is. Somehow I missed the number when copying from GCA to my master document.

3) Hmm... that might be useful. Thanks for the tips!

Old 03-14-2015, 01:23 PM   #1059
chandley

Quote:
1) Hmm... That would certainly help in fighting Cap to a standstill.

2) Yes, yes it is. Somehow I missed the number when copying from GCA to my master document.

3) Hmm... that might be useful. Thanks for the tips!
Enhanced Parry 3 will put the whole standstill thing back on the table, and some ST and Striker will mean Cap wont just AOA and soak his puny blows. With those changes, basically everyone is fishing for crits in that fight, which certainly could go on for a long time. Especially if they stand around waiting for the other guy to burn his Evaluate bonus so that a Deceptive Attack might have some use.
Old 03-15-2015, 11:25 AM   #1060
Phantasm

Adjusted Batroc with many of the suggestions put forth above. I love you guys!

Tags
avengers, captain america, captain marvel, chandley, character creation, chargen, iron man, marvel, phantasm, supers, thor, x-men