Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 11-29-2022, 02:47 PM   #1
Shostak

Default Talent/Spell of the Week: Woodsman

For a mere one point, this IQ 11 gives a character knowledge of how to survive outdoors in a variety of environments from one extreme to the other--usually without a roll required. Given this, perhaps Wilderness Survival would be a better name, since one doesn't associate woods with deserts, plains, or higher elevations. Much of the Woodsman talent might be concerned with how to choose a suitable site for a bivouac or tent, how to find potable water or fuel for a fire, improvise eyewear to protect from sand-or snow-blindness, anticipate changes in weather, etc. Although it is not specified in the rules, it might be reasonable for talents like Tracking or Alertness to give a bonus to Woodsman's ability to care for a party in extreme situations which would require a 3/IQ roll to succeed.

Woodsman crops up frequently in games I run or play in, with many players building ranger type PCs opting for it. With some regularity, there is disagreement at the table about where Woodman ends and Naturalist begins, since it makes sense for a Woodsman to know something about herbs and animals. I've witnessed similar frequent disagreement about the borders between Woodsman and Tracking.

Conversation Starters
  • Should Woodsman give a bonus to Naturalist or Tracking?
  • What about Woodsman do you find yourself needing to clarify at the table?
  • Woodsman is very broad; do you break it down into separate talents for different environment types?
  • If so, do you bundle the specialties together with similarly separated versions of Naturalist?
  • What other talents offer synergies with Woodsman?
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 03:09 PM   #2
hcobb

Default Re: Talent/Spell of the Week: Woodsman

Note that a single Woodsman can set a party of four on the right track (ITL 54), but they'll travel at half speed until a second learns the talent (ITL 41).
Apparently they need to hold the branches out of the way so these don't swack the next PC in the face?
Old 11-29-2022, 04:21 PM   #3
phiwum

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Note that a single Woodsman can set a party of four on the right track (ITL 54), but they'll travel at half speed until a second learns the talent (ITL 41).
Apparently they need to hold the branches out of the way so these don't swack the next PC in the face?
I have certainly ruled that a party of four can get normal speed with just one Woodsman.

But I have also noticed that I'm a bit loosey-goosey when it comes to travel times in general. Often, the destination is about as far as I want it to be. If there's a woodsman, then it's twice as far. It's not a good way of playing, since it downplays the importance of Woodsman skill.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 05:07 PM   #4
hcobb

While IQ 11 is the sweet spot for heroes, they really don't have that many memory points to spare: (Best just to get a goblin witch with Meal, Stalwart, Image, Pathfinder, Detect Life, Calling, Magic Rainstorm, etc.)

Zergeete, Human, age 20
ST 9, DX 12, IQ 11, MA 10
Talents include: Naturalist, Pole Weapons Expertise, Shield Expertise, Woodsman
Language: Common
Weapon: very fine javelin (1d+2), dagger (1d-1, untalented)
Attacks and Damage: Punch (1d-3)
Armor: Small shield stops 2 hits, -2 to be hit
Equipment: Brigand clothing, backpack, Labyrinth kit, belt pouch, torch (held in shield hand), 4 * torch (stuck in backpack), 2 days rations, 2 waterskins, $4 in coins, 3 healing potions
Old 11-29-2022, 08:15 PM   #5
TippetsTX

WOODSMAN is one the talents I use to justify my elimination of IQ prerequisites. It's the type of practical skill that any character raised in the wild should be able to qualify for.
Old 11-29-2022, 08:18 PM   #6
Axly Suregrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
WOODSMAN is one the talents I use to justify my elimination of IQ prerequisites. It's the type of practical skill that any character raised in the wild should be able to qualify for.
Maybe Woodsman talent should be a prereq for Naturalist talent instead of the other way around. If so, then make Woodsman IQ 8.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 08:26 PM   #7
phiwum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axly Suregrip View Post
Maybe Woodsman talent should be a prereq for Naturalist talent instead of the other way around. If so, then make Woodsman IQ 8.
That's actually pretty sensible. I think of naturalist as being closer to a practical branch of an otherwise scholarly study. Woodsman is a bit less academic to my mind.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 08:52 PM   #8
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axly Suregrip View Post
Before I switched to a more radical framework, that's basically what I did... though I kept the talents independent of one another (neither is a prereq for the other) and raised the cost of WOODSMAN.
Old 11-30-2022, 03:19 AM   #9
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
Is there a difference between Area Knowledge (which ought to be IQ 7) and a more generalized Woodsman talent that enables survival in any environment that isn't totally overrun by humanoids, not just one?
Old 12-01-2022, 08:43 AM   #10
Shostak

Area Knowledge will get its own entry, but it is worth discussing here the blurry areas between it and Woodsman. It seems reasonable that, if a Woodsman were going through an environment that would normally call for a roll to successfully protect a party from its rigors, having Area Knowledge of that area should obviate the roll.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, house rules, survivial, talents, wilderness