Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 05-04-2022, 12:18 PM   #11
DeadParrot

Default Re: One-offs vs Campaigns

I prefer to keep using a character through several sessions. BUT to use a Pathfinder term, I don't like the 1-20 adventure paths. Those feel too much like being an actor just following a script in a play. I see things like the Quick Quests being useful here.

In our current FT game, we have two groups of characters that started at different times. Our first group rescued a group of captured/deceased adventurers and the GM let us create new characters to be the rescued group. A fountain of youth was involved to restore the deceased to life.

All of the characters were expected to run through the Death Test early in their careers. Good way to find out if they are combat worthy before the player gets invested in the character.

Nothing prevents a GM from fudging a damage roll so a character is rendered unconscious by the Prootwaddle's crit instead of dead. Tune in next week for Escape from Prootwaddle Village. Of course if the character is being stupid despite several hints from the GM, a death might well be final.
DeadParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 12:27 PM   #12
Bill_in_IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadParrot View Post
I prefer to keep using a character through several sessions. BUT to use a Pathfinder term, I don't like the 1-20 adventure paths. Those feel too much like being an actor just following a script in a play. I see things like the Quick Quests being useful here.

In our current FT game, we have two groups of characters that started at different times. Our first group rescued a group of captured/deceased adventurers and the GM let us create new characters to be the rescued group. A fountain of youth was involved to restore the deceased to life.

All of the characters were expected to run through the Death Test early in their careers. Good way to find out if they are combat worthy before the player gets invested in the character.

Nothing prevents a GM from fudging a damage roll so a character is rendered unconscious by the Prootwaddle's crit instead of dead. Tune in next week for Escape from Prootwaddle Village. Of course if the character is being stupid despite several hints from the GM, a death might well be final.
The Death Tests and Security Station are great for training and vetting characters. I'm checking into some of the Micro-quests which appear to be good for that but aren't self-ran modules. I'm going to use them to get my GM proficiency up to speed before I start generating adventures of my own. I've been out of practice for about 25 or 26 years and the TFT rules have changed significantly.
Bill_in_IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 03:07 PM   #13
Chris Rice

I preferred campaign play in the past but that would be impractical for me now so I run one shots or a few linked scenarios.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote