Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-28-2021, 05:30 AM   #1
Ewan

Default Realm Management

With GURPS Realm Management expected to be released in March (GURPS News email) I was wondering what would I expect to be in it. Thanks
Ewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 11:54 AM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: GURPS Realm Management

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan View Post
With GURPS Realm Management expected to be released in March (GURPS News email) I was wondering what would I expect to be in it. Thanks
That's not a simple question. There is a lot in it.

One thing I've been saying over and over and over to try and manage expectations is this: It is a roleplaying tool much like Mass Combat or Boardrooms and Curia. When I was coming up with the system I made a hard design choice that it would not be a economic simulator nor would it be a "bean-counting" system. It's meant to give players whose characters are "in charge" (for whatever that means) a method to see how well they are doing ruling.

It does describe a realm in a "character sheet" format. It has stats for things like how educated the general populous is or what the infrastructure is like or how wealthy it is. But those are just a few things. There is lots more information describing a realm since it interacts with the conflict-resolution system for realms (which is called "The Wheel") as well as other events.

That's really all that can be said at the moment without more targeted questions.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 12:14 PM   #3
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
It does describe a realm in a "character sheet" format. It has stats for things like how educated the general populous is or what the infrastructure is like or how wealthy it is. But those are just a few things. There is lots more information describing a realm since it interacts with the conflict-resolution system for realms (which is called "The Wheel") as well as other events.
Chris, are you at liberty to say whether or not Realm Management's gears mesh with GURPS City Stats?
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 12:29 PM   #4
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Chris, are you at liberty to say whether or not Realm Management's gears mesh with GURPS City Stats?
I reference it here and there. I borrowed some mechanics and expanded on them for certain things like Military Resources for realms

P.S. I always use my full name, never my familiar one. Or you can call me C.R.. So Christopher or C.R., please. :-)

Become a Patron!
Old 02-28-2021, 12:48 PM   #5
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
I reference it here and there. I borrowed some mechanics and expanded on them for certain things like Military Resources for realms

P.S. I always use my full name, never my familiar one. Or you can call me C.R.. So Christopher or C.R., please. :-)
Cool--looking forward to the release. Thanks, Christopher!
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 01:29 PM   #6
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Cool--looking forward to the release. Thanks, Christopher!
Me too. It was the hardest thing I've done to date and it took almost 2 years from inception to release so I hope people enjoy it and use it in their games. :-)

Become a Patron!
Old 02-28-2021, 02:09 PM   #7
Ewan

Thanks Christopher, so I guess I won’t need to create massive Excel spreadsheets to play the game.
Will it cover various tech levels so I can use it for modern or sci fi games as well as medieval. Thanks
Ewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 02:29 PM   #8
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Thanks Christopher, so I guess I won’t need to create massive Excel spreadsheets to play the game.
No...gawd no. That was one of the things I tried to keep in mind as I wrote the system. I wanted it to mimic GURPS play if possible. I wanted to frontload realm creation and then make running the realm something that could be done in 5 to 10 minutes.

Quote:
Will it cover various tech levels so I can use it for modern or sci fi games as well as medieval. Thanks
It is nominally able to cover any genre, any TL, any game. There are examples in the back for fantasy, sci-fi, and post-apocalypse.

If the book does well I have ideas for follow-ups that will get into more edge cases that I removed from the main book for being, well, edge cases.

Become a Patron!
Old 02-28-2021, 03:01 PM   #9
awesomenessofme1

One thing I've been wondering when I've been thinking of possible uses: How much does it scale up and down? Could it be used for a TL0 hunter-gather band of a few dozen people? How about a galactic empire with a population of trillions?
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 03:14 PM   #10
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
One thing I've been wondering when I've been thinking of possible uses: How much does it scale up and down? Could it be used for a TL0 hunter-gather band of a few dozen people? How about a galactic empire with a population of trillions?
Yes. It scales. The lowest is a single village and its surrounding lands while the highest is a galaxy and its planets. You could probably go up more for something like an intergalactic empire, but scaling downward is tougher.

Become a Patron!

Tags
realm management