Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-27-2022, 12:33 PM   #1
naloth

Default LogHP Idea

This is an alternative to the normal damage system. The goal was to create a system that works well, is easy to use, and handles multiple hits in a more sensible fashion. Multiple small hits have quickly diminishing returns. It's difficult or impossible to do the "death by a thousand cuts" with this system. Massive trauma exceeding your HP will quickly result in unconsciousness or death.

LogHP System
Intro
- You will keep a running total of the amount of damage you've taken. Functionally this is the same as subtracting HP, but I find that it's easier for players to count (adding to a damage total) than subtracting from HP. It's also handy for a GM helping new players as the GM can "hand out" damage as it's taken. A fully healed character has 0 damage. Poker chips work well, but writing it down works equally as well. Shock, crippling, healing, and major wounds work the same. The only change is how damage stacks on top of other damage you've taken.

Damage Accumulation System
- If you don't have a current damage total (have not taken any damage), any new damage becomes the damage total.

- If you take less than 4 damage and your damage total is less than 4, add the totals and set that to your damage total. Otherwise, compare the damage you've just taken to your current damage total. If the amounts are equal add +3 to the higher value and set that to your new damage total. If the amounts are within 1-2, add +2 to the higher damage total and set that to your new damage total. If the difference is 3-5, add +1 then set that to your new damage total. If the difference is greater than 5, the higher value becomes your new damage total with no adjustment (+0).

The progression works out to be like this where you match up the columns using one side as the damage taken and other as your current damage total.

Damage Effects
- If at the beginning of any turn your damage total exceeds your HP total, you need to make a HT roll to do anything. Failure means you "Do Nothing" instead.

- Any time you take damage exceeding your HP total, you need to make an immediate HT roll at a penalty equal the amount of damage over your HP total. Failure results unconsciousness. Failure by 5 or more means you're dying (Mortal Wound B423). Any failure that is critical or fails by 10 or more results in automatic death.

Example
Bill and Bob get into a fight. Bill punches Bob for 4 damage, so Bob now has a damage total of 4. Bill punches Bob again for 3 damage. That's 1 lower, so Bob keeps the 4, but adds +2 for being within 1 or 2 for a new total of 6. Bill punches Bob again, rolling another 3, but this time it's 3 lower so it adds +1 for a total of 7. Bob decides that punching isn't getting it done, so he grabs a bat and clobbers Bill for 9 damage. Since 9 is greater than 7, that becomes the new total, then +2 is added since 7 is within 2 of 9, for a total of 11. Bill only had HP10, so he's 1 over his HP. Bill makes a HT-1 (-1 for 1 point over) check upon taking that last hit. If Bill doesn't pass he's going to be unconscious, mortally wounded, or potentially dead.

Bob heals up and take a gun to Bill. He shoots him with a pistol first for 13 damage. Bob who also only had HP10, but hadn't been injured prior is now 3 over his HP. Bill needs to pass a HT-3 check immediately and failure more 5 or more will have the dire consequences above.

Notes: Repetitive injury is less serious (no death by a thousand cuts) but strong hits tend to be much more serious. Injury totals are much lower (most characters will never survive HPx2 damage), so healing tends to be faster and healing effects tend to be much more powerful. Two fighters can punch each other for a lot longer, but lethal weapons tend to end fights much faster. This system also avoids the side effect of high HT where recovery is more of an issue than the actual injury (since they can safely pass HT checks even down many -HP multiples). HT keeps helping whatever HT you have since it's based on penalty rolls. HT20 won't keep you conscious and active until you hit an arbitrary point where you drop dead.

In my brief playtesting, it was quick and easy to use. Players caught on quickly and though it produced good dramatic results that mirrored how they expected guns, swords, and punches to work. Fistfights were suitably non-lethal where fighters ended up mostly at the "Do Nothing" bloody stage. Swords and guns were suitably dangerous.

Last edited by naloth; 06-28-2022 at 09:58 AM.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 12:44 PM   #2
zoncxs

Default Re: LogHP Idea

Pyramid 3/120 Conditional Injury is something similar.
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 07:44 AM   #3
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
Pyramid 3/120 Conditional Injury is something similar.
I read a review on it, and it sounded a lot more complicated. Wasn't there look up tables or additional statistics to track? That might have been Anthony's log system, which was an inspiration for something easier to play.
Old 06-23-2022, 12:10 AM   #4
jacobmuller

What are "major" wounds?
(edit: Doh!)
How do you handle Healing?
(edit: I found it easier to read before the edit)

Last edited by jacobmuller; 06-26-2022 at 05:58 AM.
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 08:12 PM   #5
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobmuller View Post
What are "major" wounds?
How do you handle Healing?
Major wounds work exactly the same. If you take HP/2 or any crippling wound, you've taken a major wound and need to roll just like before.

In my brief experiment I didn't change the healing either. Overall it healing works out about the same if you take big hits, but there is less to heal from multiple wounds. For example, getting shot once takes the same heal time for both systems. Getting shot for the same damage twice take twice as long with the normal system but is only another +2-3 damage under this system. Three times moves from x3 to [damage +4-6 more] for healing.
Old 06-24-2022, 05:58 AM   #6
whswhs

If I'm understanding this correctly, it seems you're doing a decibel scale:

0 = 1
1 = 1.25
2 = 1.6
3 = 2
4 = 2.5
5 = 3.2
6 = 4
7 = 5
8 = 6.25
9 = 8
10 = 10

So a 3 followed by a 3 is 2+2 =4, which is 6; a 3 followed by a 2 is 2 + 1.6 = 3.6, which is close to 3.2; a 3 followed by a 1 is 2 + 1.25 = 3.25, which is almost exactly 3.2; a 3 followed by a 0 is 2 + 1 = 3, which is close to 3.2 but I suppose rounds down to 2.5; a 3 followed by a -1 is 2 + 0.8 = 2.8; a 3 followed by a -2 is 2 + 0.625 = 2.625; a 3 followed by a -3 is 2 + 0.5 = 2.5, which it seems ought to be treated as 4 rather than 3.

In that system, if 10 indicates risk of unconsciousness, a 13 should be risk of death, a 15, 16, and 17 would have repeated risk of death, and an 18 would be certain death. Though it might be neater to roll for death at +2, +4, +6, and +8 and to have certain death at +10.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 07:09 AM   #7
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
If I'm understanding this correctly, it seems you're doing a decibel scale:
That's not the scale I was trying to emulate, but it's similar.

Quote:
In that system, if 10 indicates risk of unconsciousness, a 13 should be risk of death, a 15, 16, and 17 would have repeated risk of death, and an 18 would be certain death. Though it might be neater to roll for death at +2, +4, +6, and +8 and to have certain death at +10.
The rolls are still relative to HT and HP, so the breakpoints don't work out like that.

I'll go back and clarify a bit. Besides, I noticed I forgot to mention a few bits.

Last edited by naloth; 06-24-2022 at 07:34 AM.
Old 06-24-2022, 10:28 AM   #8
Anthony

The universal problem with log damage systems is that implementing DR is a huge pain: logarithms turn multiplication and division into addition and subtraction, but they turn addition and subtraction into table lookup.
Old 06-24-2022, 11:09 AM   #9
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The universal problem with log damage systems is that implementing DR is a huge pain: logarithms turn multiplication and division into addition and subtraction, but they turn addition and subtraction into table lookup.
I don't see the problem as that great. Suppose, for example, that I roll damage 5, and you have DR 3. 5 corresponds to 3.2, and 3 corresponds to 2; the difference is 1.2. Depending on whether you round up or down, that could be injury 0 or 1. It seems you could do a table of how much difference corresponds to how much reduction in injury.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 11:38 AM   #10
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I don't see the problem as that great. Suppose, for example, that I roll damage 5, and you have DR 3. 5 corresponds to 3.2, and 3 corresponds to 2; the difference is 1.2. Depending on whether you round up or down, that could be injury 0 or 1. It seems you could do a table of how much difference corresponds to how much reduction in injury.
It's a modest size table (probably 6 entries on a decibel setup), but it's still table lookup. Which you might need to do multiple times for layered DR.