Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-17-2016, 10:36 PM   #1
Mithlas

Default Alternative IQ distribution

I mentioned in another thread that one of my games involved players discussing splitting IQ into two separate attributes: Intuition (which then linked to Perception) and Logic (which then linked to Will), with skills split between them - I did a quick run-down and discovered that there was a surprisingly even split between logic and intuition skills.

Has something like this been discussed before? A search of the forum didn't turn up anything that looked like it, the closest being splitting Magic into its own stat which is a different if somewhat related question. Obviously the cost of the now 2 core attributes would have to be decreased (to 15 each?).

Edit: You could think of it like Intuition being a "mental agility", linking horizontally with the senses and sense of the world immediately around. You could think of Logic like being a "mental strength", linking vertically with memory and cognitive models of possible past/futures.

Last edited by Mithlas; 02-22-2016 at 12:39 AM. Reason: Moving an important clarification from deeper in the thread
Mithlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:30 PM   #2
Ji ji

Default Re: Alternative IQ distribution

Which model of mind are you using? I can't understand your modify.
Ji ji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:34 PM   #3
Flyndaran
Untagged

There are many that houserule Perception and Willpower into separate traits but keeping IQ at 20 per level.

I don't see how Logic has anything at all to do with Willpower and Intuition isn't that connected to physical sensory Perception either.
Old 02-18-2016, 04:27 AM   #4
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
There are many that houserule Perception and Willpower into separate traits but keeping IQ at 20 per level.

I don't see how Logic has anything at all to do with Willpower and Intuition isn't that connected to physical sensory Perception either.
I agree I'm not sure I buy either Intuition (which then linked to Perception) and Logic (which then linked to Will).
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 04:54 AM   #5
Gollum

There are many threads about splitting Intelligence in several numbers of sub-attributes ... The main goal is usually to make things more realistic.

Now, as far as I understand things, the main goal of GURPS, with its 4 basic attributes, is to make things more easy to handle. Indeed, in fictions (movies, novels, comics), geniuses are also very intuitive. They have a very high perception and a very strong will too ...

Just look at Sherlock Holmes, Gandalf, Merlin, or any other one. They are not only clever. They also notice every thin detail, they are hard to frighten, they can easily convince others ... Brief, they sound to be good at everything covered by GURPS IQ. That is why it is more simple to have only one attribute for all that.
  • Conan type: Strength.
  • Lara Croft type: Dexterity.
  • Sherlock Holmes type: Intelligence.
  • John McClane type (Die Hard movies): Health.
And, thanks to advantages and disadvantages, it is still possible to make a genius with low will and perception, a strong but fragile guy, a flexible but slow woman or anything else you can imagine.

Classical hero, only one attribute to worry about. And the possibility to get into far much more detail if you want to. In my opinion, it is hard to do something better.
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 01:10 PM   #6
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I vastly prefer the houserule of splitting Per and Will off into their own traits and then making IQ 10/level.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:45 PM   #7
NineDaysDead
Banned

IQ [20/level] = The mental areas where humans are better than animals.

And

Instinct (Will + Perception) [10/level] = The mental areas where animals can equal or exceed humans.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 01:57 PM   #8
Not

I'm curious: what was wrong with just having IQ and then giving animals disadvantages to keep them from learning human skills? Why did we need to introduce a separate Per score?
Old 02-18-2016, 02:21 PM   #9
kdtipa

Perception and Will are already able to be modified separately from IQ. I don't see an advantage to "intuitive IQ" separated from "logical IQ". If I remember the description of IQ in GURPS, it is supposed to be a catch all mental attribute that represents intelligence, experience, wit, and serves as a base for Perception and Will.

The split between skills seeming more intuitive versus seeming logical (though I'm having a hard time accepting that split too), could easily be handled with a Talent. If you want a character that is good at things that require intuitive leaps, make a talent that affects the skills you think fit the category, and the same is possible for logic.

But I really don't see the break for intuitive versus logical either. Take a skill like tactics. You can learn the logical means of finding the highest probability course of action your opponent will take, and also finding the best choice for your side. But you can easily argue that someone might be intuitive with tactics too... they don't have to know the logic, they just seem to do well with making those choices.

And a Talent would pretty well cover making it seem intuitive to the character. Someone with a talent for tactics (intuition) is going to seem different than someone who just spent a lot of points to learn it (logic).
kdtipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 02:24 PM   #10
kdtipa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not View Post
I'm curious: what was wrong with just having IQ and then giving animals disadvantages to keep them from learning human skills? Why did we need to introduce a separate Per score?
Don't animals use the rule of 12 or something like that? Their IQ is low, and they just get a base 12 for Per and Will?
kdtipa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
attribute, attributes, intelligence, intuition, logic