Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-09-2019, 03:10 PM   #31
Refplace

Default Re: [Basic] Frustrated by Tentacles

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
Except All-Out Defense is a Maneuver (B324) hence my comment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
All Out Defense is a maneuver, but it isn't in any respect an active defense. There's no vagueness about the relationship between maneuvers and active defenses.
What Ulzgoroth said.
From GURPS Basic p. B324
A maneuver is an action taken dur-
ing combat. Each turn, you must
choose one of the following maneu-
vers: Aim, All-Out Attack, All-Out
Defense, Attack, Change Posture,
Concentrate, Do Nothing, Evaluate,
Feint, Move, Move and Attack, Ready,
or Wait. Your choice determines what
you can do and your options for active
defense and movement.

Bolded items emphasized by me,
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:13 AM   #32
CarrionPeacock

Extra Hands (Extra-Flexible; Long) and Ham Fisted 2 sounds like the best option, despite being very expensive. Thanks for the replies.
Any words on Invertebrate? I'm still not sure if it applies to grappling.
CarrionPeacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 11:17 AM   #33
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrionPeacock View Post
Extra Arms assumes a human arm, and a tentacle alone is not nearly as dextrous as human hands.
Given that a parrot is defined as "One Arm" (B147: its tongue functions like an arm... meaning parrots can technically hold guns and shoot light guns using their tongues?), and a tongue is sort of like a tentacle...

Something like "Temporary Disadvantage: Missing Thumb -5% Missing Finger 3 -6%" might cover less coordinated tongues/tentacles? This would be -8 to DX so you'd have to Telegraph everything to stand a chance.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 02:07 PM   #34
CarrionPeacock

It ocurred to me that Tentacles seems to trade strength (Weak limitation) for flexibility (Extra-Flexible. Do they really?
Each extra arm used to grapple gives +2 to ST contests, so having 8 arms means a net +12 ST if using all of them, so using Weak will reduce the weight each arm can lift and strike, but above mentioned rule would keep their grapple very effective. By the way, B370 mentions a +2 bonus to hit with grappling for each arm used past the first two, so it implies one can use all arms (tentacles) to start a grapple.

@Plane
Parrots attacking people with guns is a funny mental image. By RAW though they don't have enough IQ to use technological skills (which Guns is part of).
CarrionPeacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 02:38 PM   #35
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post

Something like "Temporary Disadvantage: Missing Thumb -5% Missing Finger 3 -6%" might cover less coordinated tongues/tentacles? This would be -8 to DX so you'd have to Telegraph everything to stand a chance.
This is raw, but it really rubs me the wrong way because the temporary disadvantage completely destroys most of the advantage's functionality for a mere -11%

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 04:03 PM   #36
AlexanderHowl

I agree. Bad Grip would probably be a better fit anyway.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 04:11 PM   #37
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
I agree. Bad Grip would probably be a better fit anyway.
As I said, I've read several books on cephalopods, and they seem to be able to hold onto things really strongly with those suckers—it sounds like more strongly than humans, even if they're much smaller. I wouldn't represent that as Bad Grip.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 04:12 PM   #38
a humble lich

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
This is raw, but it really rubs me the wrong way because the temporary disadvantage completely destroys most of the advantage's functionality for a mere -11%
I agree, also I'm not sure that tentacles should take Missing Thumb. For humans, an opposable thumb is a big advantage and without is we have a much harder time grasping things. Because tentacles can wrap around an object several times, they can arguable grab things better than we can with a thumb.

The big disadvantage tentacles have is that they have a hard time using things
which take multiple fingers, like keyboards, pianos, and x-box controllers. Perhaps there should be a special limitation for extra arms:
No Fingers -10%. Your extra limb does not end in separable movable digits like fingers, making playing the piano hard. It still has a full range of manual dexterity and griping strength. This is suitable for tenatacles, elephant's trunks, and parrots beaks.
I set the value of the limitation low because it is not something I see coming up in play to much, but it would mean the character would be much slower with a typewriter.
a humble lich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:38 PM   #39
lwcamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
As I said, I've read several books on cephalopods, and they seem to be able to hold onto things really strongly with those suckers—it sounds like more strongly than humans, even if they're much smaller. I wouldn't represent that as Bad Grip.
I've actually held a cephalopod - a California two-spotted octopus - and I have to agree. It was only as big as a grapefruit, but I couldn't get that thing off my hand until it decided it wanted to leave. It was one powerful (and slimy) ball of muscle and suction.

Luke
lwcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:43 PM   #40
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwcamp View Post
I've actually held a cephalopod - a California two-spotted octopus - and I have to agree. It was only as big as a grapefruit, but I couldn't get that thing off my hand until it decided it wanted to leave. It was one powerful (and slimy) ball of muscle and suction.
That's what I read from other people who had been socializing with octopuses. I took it into account in writing TT2.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
basic, extra arms, invertebrate, tentacles