Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2017, 09:11 PM   #1
Jaware
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
Default I have a query about imbuements. Of the Defensive kind.

All right. My question is about the energizing defense imbuement.

My first question, is at what point do you pay the FP cost for the ability? Do you pay it the first time you use it to absorb, or when you decide to use the stored points?

My second question. Can you use this on a weapon if you were to buy the skill as a melee weapon skill. And then use it of a parry, much the same as a shield? I think pyramid 3-36 Dungeon fantasy, page 24 says something about it on the bottom right. But I don't know if I'm interpreting it right. I'd like a concrete yes or no. And explination from someone whose played longer than I have.

My third question. How does the buying abilities work? Say for instance you had the skill at lvl 20. And you absorbed 20 points form some form of damage. And you wanted to buy your ST up a level. You would roll at 18, and spend 10 pts. They fall off at a rate of a point a second. At what point do you lose the +1 ST? Is it after the full 10 points fade away, eg 10 seconds from activating it? Or is it when it ticks down from 10 to 9? Just under the 10 required?

If some kind souls would like to give me some examples I'd greatly appreciate it.
Jaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:45 AM   #2
Kelly Pedersen
 
Kelly Pedersen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Default Re: I have a query about imbuements. Of the Defensive kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaware View Post
All right. My question is about the energizing defense imbuement.
I should be able to answer these. :)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaware
My first question, is at what point do you pay the FP cost for the ability? Do you pay it the first time you use it to absorb, or when you decide to use the stored points?
You pay FP every time you absorb damage, not just the first time. Using the points does not cost FP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaware
My second question. Can you use this on a weapon if you were to buy the skill as a melee weapon skill. And then use it of a parry, much the same as a shield? I think pyramid 3-36 Dungeon fantasy, page 24 says something about it on the bottom right.
I assume you're referring to the line "Defensive Imbuements that apply to Active Defenses can be learned for melee skills, and used with a Parry." here? If yes, then, while I didn't include it in the original article, it's still a good idea, and I definitely endorse it as a rule. I'd treat using a Defensive Imbuement with a Parry the same as using it with a Block (that is, for effects that depend on damage, you'd roll the damage for an attack to see how much it would have done, and use that).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaware
My third question. How does the buying abilities work? Say for instance you had the skill at lvl 20. And you absorbed 20 points form some form of damage. And you wanted to buy your ST up a level. You would roll at 18, and spend 10 pts. They fall off at a rate of a point a second. At what point do you lose the +1 ST? Is it after the full 10 points fade away, eg 10 seconds from activating it? Or is it when it ticks down from 10 to 9? Just under the 10 required?
Ok, taking this in order. First, your roll to add the ST would be 16, not 18, since the modifier to add to attributes and secondary characteristics is at -4. Second, the point fall off - note that unused points disappear first. So if you had 20 points, spend 10 on +1 ST, you'd have a 10-second "buffer" before the points spent on ST started getting touched. And if you kept getting attacked and making your Energizing Defense rolls, you could keep topping that up, too. But, if you let all those buffer points run out, and the points started being drained from ST, the ST would be gone as soon as the first point went away. What I would do, however, to allow for a bit of leniency, is let you make a new Energizing Defense roll to reallocate the remaining points into a new trait that they could afford. So when you lost that first point that you put into ST, you could roll Energizing Defense to give yourself, say, three levels of Arm ST for just one arm, since that would cost 9 points, which is what you have left. The normal -6 to improve other traits would apply.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:47 PM   #3
Jaware
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
Default Re: I have a query about imbuements. Of the Defensive kind.

Alright. I appreciate it very much. That pretty much answers my questions.

I only have one question now. Why does it cost every time you absorbe damage?

Don't the others work until ones next turn after activating them?

Because that makes the ability extremely resource intensive. Especially if you are being attacked from lots of little things like a group of weak goblins or something.

That seems almost like it's not worth the effort to go through.

Am I missing something obvious?
Jaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:57 PM   #4
Jaware
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
Default Re: I have a query about imbuements. Of the Defensive kind.

Looking at the "refill ability" of energizing defense. In order to come out to a net plus, you would have to absorbe 4 damage per attack. Along with multiple skill rolls that bog down gameplay. I am confused.
Jaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:19 PM   #5
Kelly Pedersen
 
Kelly Pedersen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Default Re: I have a query about imbuements. Of the Defensive kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaware View Post
Alright. I appreciate it very much. That pretty much answers my questions.

I only have one question now. Why does it cost every time you absorbe damage?

Don't the others work until ones next turn after activating them?
Sorry, yes, you're correct. Once you've activated it once, you get the benefit for the rest of the turn. I was thinking you meant activating it once, and then getting the benefit for the rest of the combat or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaware View Post
Looking at the "refill ability" of energizing defense. In order to come out to a net plus, you would have to absorbe 4 damage per attack. Along with multiple skill rolls that bog down gameplay. I am confused.
I'm not quite sure how you're figuring the math here? Every point of damage is converted into one point for the pool. You lose 1 point from the pool per second. Therefore, to keep even with the pool, you only need to stop 1 point of damage per second. As discussed above, you only need to roll Energizing Defense once per turn to keep it active, just like other Imbuement skills.

Or were you calculating the cost of recharging the FP that you spend every turn on Energizing Defense into the cost above? In that case, yes, you would need to absorb 4 points of damage per turn to keep the whole thing going, but I think that's not unreasonable. This is a rather potent ability, given that it lets you boost almost any attribute or trait. Resource management is the big balancing factor of all imbuements, so requiring you to absorb a number of damage every turn in order to keep it going indefinitely seems fair to me.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:26 PM   #6
Jaware
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
Default Re: I have a query about imbuements. Of the Defensive kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
Sorry, yes, you're correct. Once you've activated it once, you get the benefit for the rest of the turn. I was thinking you meant activating it once, and then getting the benefit for the rest of the combat or something.
Alright, that makes waaaay more sense. That pretty much makes that second half my question null and void.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
I'm not quite sure how you're figuring the math here? Every point of damage is converted into one point for the pool. You lose 1 point from the pool per second. Therefore, to keep even with the pool, you only need to stop 1 point of damage per second. As discussed above, you only need to roll Energizing Defense once per turn to keep it active, just like other Imbuement skills.

Or were you calculating the cost of recharging the FP that you spend every turn on Energizing Defense into the cost above? In that case, yes, you would need to absorb 4 points of damage per turn to keep the whole thing going, but I think that's not unreasonable. This is a rather potent ability, given that it lets you boost almost any attribute or trait. Resource management is the big balancing factor of all imbuements, so requiring you to absorb a number of damage every turn in order to keep it going indefinitely seems fair to me.
I was thinking aloud under the impression that one needed to trigger the ability every time you wanted to absorb an attack. So in order to absorbe at a net gain, one would need to take 4 points of damage a turn minimum, along with all of the skill rolls in order to just have that one point for it to bleed away.

Basically, I was trying to think of how much you would have to absorb just to break even, much less to gain something.

For example, I just took 15 points of damage, so I buy DR2. That gives me 5 turns before I need to worry about needing to absorbe any more.

In comparison to, I need to spend 1Fp every time something hits me that way I can absorbe the damage.and I have to hope that attack does at least 4 points of damage, else I'm just going to black out from exhaustion.




Though I did just have another question.

How would one determine the limit for the parry? Would it be 1/2 skill, or would it be the DR of your weapon? I didn't think of it till just now.
Jaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dungeon fanasy, imbuements, powers, pyramid, pyramid 3/36

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.