Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-07-2015, 12:04 AM   #1
Prince Charon

Default Psi-based Martial Arts

Have been thinking about settings in which the cinematic martial arts skills and techniques are based on psi abilities, rather than Trained by a Master, Weapon Master, et cetra. Some of the cinematics are theoretically possible in RL, without any 'magic,' but would only work by sheer luck (Probability Alteration), while others require something more, like Invisibility Art, which by the description is pretty much Mind Clouding (Psionic Powers p66) or a limited form of Sensory Control (p63). I've got a couple of psi powers for such a setting that I'd like critiqued, and if it won't work, suggestions for a replacement or improvement (other than 'Trained by a Master with a psi-based limitation') would also be welcome, please.

Adjustment (Psionic Powers p44) is a common advantage for martial artists, though it generally takes time and effort to bring it to a useful level. The usual variant lacks the 'Visualization (Blessing Only, +0%)' half of the ability, and has the limitation 'Cinematic Martial Arts Only, +0%.' Rather than giving a bonus, it simply allows some cinematic skills and techniques to work normally, that otherwise would only work by accident, if at all. The tenth level reduces time to effectively zero, and is only available in martial arts-heavy games (or other games where the GM considers it appropriate), if at all.
5/7/9/11/13/15/17/19/21/23 points for up to ten levels.

Pressure Point Manipulation, 10 points for level 1, plus 4 points for each additional level

A suggested ability to allow the use of Pressure Points, Pressure Secrets, and the Pressure Point Strike technique (which should be treated as a normal technique, not an additional ability requiring FP to use). An alternative is to maintain a catalogue of Affictions, with most being Alternative Attacks of the most expensive Affliction.

Statistics: Modular Abilities (Slotted Cosmic Power; Physical, +50%; Only Afflictions with a biological effect, Melee Attack, C, and Contact Agent, -50%; Psychic Healing, -10%; Requires IQ Roll, -10%) [5.6 base] + [4/level].

Do psi abilities require the Physical enhancement?

Thoughts?

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 01:15 AM   #2
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Psi-based Martial Arts

It seems like reinventing the wheel. Trained By A Master is just a name. Whatever you call it, it allows cinematic abilities and skills in keeping with martial arts movies. There doesn't have to be a master anywhere in game. It could be gifted from the gods, randomly inhereted, etc.

If your ability affects the physical world or alters you in an observably physical manner, then it needs Physical.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:47 PM   #3
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
It seems like reinventing the wheel. Trained By A Master is just a name. Whatever you call it, it allows cinematic abilities and skills in keeping with martial arts movies. There doesn't have to be a master anywhere in game. It could be gifted from the gods, randomly inhereted, etc.
I was already aware of that. If I were using Dungeon Fantasy-style psionics, it would be fine, but Psionic Powers splits the ability into a range of powers, so having multiple enabling abilities, some more specific than others, makes more sense to me in this context.

If I were going to use a variant of Trained by a Master, it would probably be based on Astral Projection and working with spirits (so, perhaps also using the Pact limitation). Would need a more fitting name, though (Harmony with the Dao? One with the Universe? Strong with the Force? In Tune with the Spirits?).

EDIT: 'Harmony with the Dao' was an advantage in 3e, but has since been replaced, so the name is free. Not sure I'd want to us it, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
If your ability affects the physical world or alters you in an observably physical manner, then it needs Physical.
This is helpful. Thank you.

-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.

Last edited by Prince Charon; 12-07-2015 at 08:28 PM.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:46 PM   #4
Prince Charon

Here's a suggested Trained by a Master variant, but I'd still prefer to use separate abilities.

Harmony with the Way, 36 points.

An optional ability, for GMs that wish to have all Cinematic Martial Arts skills and techniques under a single enabling advantage. Works by being in tune with the spirits (thoughtforms) of your martial arts style.

Statistics: Trained by a Master (Astral Projection, -10%) [36]. Often has the Pact limitation, for -5% [34], -10% [32], -15%, [30], or -20% [28].

-- Tacitus

Tags
martial arts, psionic powers, questions