Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-29-2013, 01:11 PM   #11
PK

Default Re: Pyramid #3/53: Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsbane View Post
Not having seen it, I'm not completely sure, but this sounds like useful for fantasy as well.
In a sense, it absolutely is -- specifically, if you want to run an Action game in a fantasy setting, I'd strongly recommend reading Phil's article, just for the general advice on bringing Action into the past. But he didn't focus on fantasy much, because "fantasy action" is covered so well by Dungeon Fantasy.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:33 PM   #12
demonsbane

Thanks for your answer.

In any case my wondering was just about "horse rider chases" :) If in this Pyramid issue they are covered in some particular way, I imagine they also will work for Fantasy —for instance, the Peter Jackson's LOTR Arwen vs. Ringwraiths riders scene of the linked video.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:25 PM   #13
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsbane View Post
Thanks for your answer.

In any case my wondering was just about "horse rider chases" :) If in this Pyramid issue they are covered in some particular way, I imagine they also will work for Fantasy —for instance, the Peter Jackson's LOTR Arwen vs. Ringwraiths riders scene of the linked video.
Yes, actually -- in fact, the horse-chase rules obtained by adding Exploits + Extended Action! would be great for any fantasy game, even one that didn't use any of the other features from the Action series!

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:37 PM   #14
Refplace

As an FYI this Pyramid got me to finally buy the Action books 1 and 2 (skipped 3 as not sure it adds anything not already in MA). I have been considering it for awhile now but the Dogfight article got me to do it now.
Also picked up Spaceships 4 for the article and am working on Space Opera fighters due to the inspiration from this issue.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:18 AM   #15
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
In a sense, it absolutely is -- specifically, if you want to run an Action game in a fantasy setting, I'd strongly recommend reading Phil's article, just for the general advice on bringing Action into the past. But he didn't focus on fantasy much, because "fantasy action" is covered so well by Dungeon Fantasy.
GURPS Action 2 has lots of material on planning and scouting and observing that can be useful in a less dungeon-based fantasy campaign.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:21 AM   #16
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
GURPS Action 2 has lots of material on planning and scouting and observing that can be useful in a less dungeon-based fantasy campaign.
Let's face it, Action simply has lots of stuff that is useful elsewhere. Complimentary skill rolls, pulling rank*, some notes on certain skills, generic chase rules etc.

* == Some of which is also found in Social Engineering.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:00 AM   #17
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Let's face it, Action simply has lots of stuff that is useful elsewhere. Complimentary skill rolls, pulling rank*, some notes on certain skills, generic chase rules etc.

* == Some of which is also found in Social Engineering.
I think the same. Both the GURPS Dungeon Fantasy and Action sub-lines have made some vital and very interesting contributions to the GURPS system as a whole. To my mind a theoretical Basic Set revised (or new edition, compendium or whatever) should include them as part of the core.

For what is worth, the rules for complementary skill rolls appeared in the first place in Dungeon Fantasy. I'm mentioning it because I find that for some reason people tends to forget it :)

The complementary skills and teamwork rules in Action 2: Exploits are basically a rephrasing of the ones previously published in Dungeon Fantasy 2: Dungeons inside the box titled «No “I” in “Teamwork” (No Profit Without It)» (p.11).

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, chases, pyramid 3/53, pyramid issues