Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-09-2009, 06:13 PM   #11
Shrale

Default Re: GURPS Psionic Powers

No I meant: "Don't waste time with a one-shot deal unless it's almost a freebie
and get the GM to gimme some freedom with something slightly unconventional
that'll work more often".

:)

>
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Shrale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:31 PM   #12
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrale View Post
No I meant: "Don't waste time with a one-shot deal unless it's almost a freebie and get the GM to gimme some freedom with something slightly unconventional that'll work more often".
Well, basic Luck lets you roll the dice three times and take the best result; which will usually garner you at least one step's worth of change, and frequently more, so on the basis that it's slightly less useful than Luck (but only slightly, since it's also more predictable) I might price this at ~10 CP for a once per hour of play/once per day of game time ability to shift things by one step. Whether greater levels should be taken like Luck (i.e., 20 pts for once per half hour, 40 points for once per 10 minutes, or twice and six times per game day) or just at 10 points per shift, stackable at will so that with 30 points you could shift things one step three times, or shift things three steps one time, I'm not sure.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:10 PM   #13
PK

Frankly, I'd make that a same-cost variant of Luck, not cheaper. Who hasn't used a Luck roll on a failure only to roll another failure, then another. Depressing. The ability to guarantee a one-step shift is powerful, especially considering that you can turn any success into a crit, which is something that regular Luck isn't actually that likely to do.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 01:39 AM   #14
The Sundered Sky

Thank you, Aesir and Fragwulf. I can hunt that info down now.

I remember in GURPS Spirits there was a probability altering portion that was part of the Spirit package, but unlike the other features in the package, no cost was given. I had to "carve out" a price for it by subtracting the costs of all the other attributes from the Spirit template, hah.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:47 AM   #15
smurf
Banned

I found some of it useful.

Parts are too number crunchy but this gave an insight to how to use Powers.

My beef it that a Psi, a half decent one will not be as good as a Mage... IMO Mages now get the upper hand because most of it is buy skill x.

I think the only way to go to levelling the playing field is by using Long Range Distance Mods on B241. Otherwise the skill penalties are disgustingly horrid. Maybe it's my style of game, however I don't want uber smart psis trying to offset a skill penalty (-10 to get some one 100 yards away). Therefore LRD is way of allowing 'moderate down to earth psis' to do stuff whilst not watching the spiralling cost of powers literally eat up points.

Last edited by smurf; 10-10-2009 at 12:21 PM.
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:09 AM   #16
carllarson

Almost all of the ranged Psi Powers have a higher level that reduces range penalties in some manner. I assume RPK designed it this way (actually, IIRC its explicitly stated so) to cover the low power Psi and allow for higher power Psi.

Yes, its very crunchy. Part and parcel of the 4E philosophy.

And yes, a spell-based, or even a ritual-based mage will cost fewer CPs. And could thereby dominate if the systems are placed together in a setting. The only way I see to offset this is to build Magic on the same assumptions, a core Power, and Skills for all.

As a personal note, my players actually prefer Power-built abilites that they can activate without many restriction, over a lesser-costing ritual magic or spell system that takes large amounts of time or variable energy costs. (True, it may be they aren't quite to the level of "Let's use our imagination to get bonuses and munchkin this ritual to its apex of power.") And, they have both, Psi Powers (and some not-so-psi powers) and Path/Book Magic (I use a house rule allowing personal power to enhance rituals, so frex an Aura Reading ritual benefits from ESP talent and abilites).

One of these days, I should probably tweak 4E Spirit metatrait and add the abilites from 3E Spirit Form, and see how that ends up. Although the one thread I recall doing that came up with serious CP spirits. (In some ways, its easier to have the least common denominatot make up the metatrait, and add Psi as needed.)
carllarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:25 AM   #17
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
Example: Jeff games once a week. This week, he rolls a 12 against a Diagnosis skill of 11. He uses this perk to change the roll to an 11, turning success into failure. He cannot use this perk again this game session, or next week's' game session, but it becomes available for the session the week after.
Jeff is confused and not sure why he would want to pay for a perk that causes him to fail an important medical task and be mocked in perpetuity by Dr House.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:46 AM   #18
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
Jeff is confused and not sure why he would want to pay for a perk that causes him to fail an important medical task and be mocked in perpetuity by Dr House.
uh.

Roll a 12. Your skill is 11. You fail!

Adjust the 12 to an 11, your skill is still 11. You succeed!

EDIT: oh, looks like I mentally fixed the Reverends wording when reading it ;)
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
psionic powers, q&a