Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-02-2011, 05:51 PM   #1
ThaDium

Default House Rules for Fatigue Points

So, I''ve been dabbling in GURPS for about two years now, and I'm finding that in the games I've played, which are pretty much magic-free, Fatigue Points are a largely useless mechanic. Does anyone have any advice on how to bring them into game?

I've been thinking of house ruling things that would turn them into a wannabe action point system, but that's about all I've got. So, I'm turning it to those amoung you who are wiser than I in the ways of General Universal Role Playing Systems. Any ideas you can share?
ThaDium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 05:56 PM   #2
OldSam

Default Re: House Rules for Fatigue Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDium View Post
So, I''ve been dabbling in GURPS for about two years now, and I'm finding that in the games I've played, which are pretty much magic-free, Fatigue Points are a largely useless mechanic.
You are using the Extra Effort rules, aren't you? That's the main point IMO.

Apart from that, I'd agree, FP are not of very much use normally, maybe sometimes for hiking or running but that's not much. Though as the GM you can apply "stress rules" like it is mentioned in Tactical Shooting, so being alert and in "action time" also costs FP.
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:37 PM   #3
Stripe

We use the crap out of extra effort in combat. Also, we use a lot of magic.

I guess you could have an enemy with an Innate Attack that drains fatigue if you're wanting to work them into a session.
if I can't say 'I'm chaotic evil!'"? —Jeff Freeman
Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:10 PM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
I've been thinking of hours ruling things that would turn them into a wannabe action point system,
How would that differ from the existing rules for Extra Effort?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:11 PM   #5
Gumby Bush

Two ideas that should fit into most campaigns:

a) Running away from more powerful opponents or people who you don't want to see you (cops, monsters, etc.), out running a boulder, or chasing down a witness.
b) Missing sleep to either sneak into a place at night or get to someone early in the morning on their way to work.
Gumby Bush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:16 PM   #6
Evil Roy Slade

Quote:
So, I''ve been dabbling in GURPS for about two years now, and I'm finding that in the games I've played, which are pretty much magic-free, Fatigue Points are a largely useless mechanic. Does anyone have any advice on how to bring them into game?

I've been thinking of house ruling things that would turn them into a wannabe action point system, but that's about all I've got. So, I'm turning it to those amoung you who are wiser than I in the ways of General Universal Role Playing Systems. Any ideas you can share?
I was once as you are. Even if there is no magic involved, Extra Effort, lack of sleep, cold, hunger, excess heat, and a dozen other things drain fatigue. Not all adventures should be conducted by PCs who have just stepped from their air-conditioned limo, after a hearty breakfast.
Evil Roy Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:45 PM   #7
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Roy Slade View Post
I was once as you are. Even if there is no magic involved, Extra Effort, lack of sleep, cold, hunger, excess heat, and a dozen other things drain fatigue. Not all adventures should be conducted by PCs who have just stepped from their air-conditioned limo, after a hearty breakfast.
Hilarious post and I dig the handle. (You gonna try to get a pic of him for your little pic?)

It wasn't until our Martial Arts campaign that FP became an issue, and then it became a major issue. Check out Extra Effort in Combat: B357 and MA131. We were all down to half FP or less after most combats.

Of course, if your PCs rarely engage in melee combat (or cast spells), then Evil Roy Slade is right, it'll be pretty much up to you to contrive situations to sap them of FP.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:48 PM   #8
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
Of course, if your PCs rarely engage in melee combat (or cast spells), then Evil Roy Slade is right, it'll be pretty much up to you to contrive situations to sap them of FP.
I'm not sure missing sleep, lifting heavy stuff, running, dehydration and starvation are altogether that contrived. Anymore than adventuring is contrived to begin with. The (thankfully) few real-life "adventures" I've had certainly involved those things, and most good adventure fiction does too.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:08 PM   #9
Edges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Roy Slade View Post
...Extra Effort, lack of sleep, cold, hunger, excess heat, and a dozen other things drain fatigue. Not all adventures should be conducted by PCs who have just stepped from their air-conditioned limo, after a hearty breakfast.
Yes, this.

Here's an old post of mine on the subject.

In our games, FP are vary important. And we don't even use the Extra Effort in combat rules anymore. Food and sleep are the main things. Fright Checks often drain FP too as does sickness and extreme temperature. Dehydration is wicked. And don't get me started on suffocation. Also, the PCs work. Sometimes they need to build a boat quickly in the wilderness, haul heavy treasure up a shaft on a rope, dig a trench for a trap, swim a raging river, or whatever. That stuff will tire someone out. Plus, combat is fatiguing by default according to the rules even of no one uses Extra Effort.

A large part of our games is fatigue management by the characters. I (as the GM) usually keep track of the FP so it doesn't become a hassle for the players. Figuring out when to rest and when to risk pushing on is a primary challenge for adventurers in our games and in real life.
Edges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:26 PM   #10
Hannes665

We don´t need any house rules, RAW seem to work well for us. Mostly extra effort in combat, long journeys, combat and fighting in armor you loose FP and so on.

Darth Vader "Luke! I am your fathers second cousins sisters best friends brother!"

Luke Skywalker "Nooo... eehh What?!"
Hannes665 is offline   Reply With Quote