Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-16-2020, 08:32 PM   #1
Sorenant

Default [Basic] [LT] Does high status clothing include embelishment bonus?

Clothings as listed on LT costs a percentage of Cost of Living, which I assume is due to better fabric, dyes and other luxurious elements. Does it mean it receives the bonus to impress from embellishing items?
For example, Status 2 clothing costs 5 times that of a status 0 clothing, so does a Status 2 clothing give +2 to impress as it has +4CF compared to status 0?
Sorenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:00 PM   #2
Eukie

Default Re: [Basic][LT] Does high status clothing include embelishment bonus?

My understanding is that the +2 to impress is already accounted for in the +2 you get from Status.
Eukie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 11:34 PM   #3
Rupert

As you can always spend more on clothes, and in many societies higher status people don't just wear more expensive versions of lower class clothes, but different clothing, in my opinion the extra cost and bonus for embellishment are not included in high status clothing costs.

Yes, this means that really nice Status 5 clothing will cost a fortune (literally), but that's not wrong historically. Great nobles used to wear outfits that had patterns picked out in precious stones on the breast of their jackets, and so on.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 06:55 AM   #4
Stormcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eukie View Post
My understanding is that the +2 to impress is already accounted for in the +2 you get from Status.
I agree. The embellishment described in Low-Tech is in addition to whatever is normal for the Status of the clothes.
Stormcrow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 07:21 AM   #5
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: [Basic] [LT] Does high status clothing include embelishment bonus?

"High status clothing" and "embellishment" are mutually exclusive ways of achieving the same end. They work at different levels of resolution. The embellishment rules are basically showing what's under the hood of the high status clothing rules (or, since they were written later, creating what's under the hood).

The CoL rules (p. B266) generically link the cost of an outfit to Status. A suitable outfit for someone of a given Status costs 20% of one's CoL. However, Basic doesn't really get into just exactly how outfits differ from status to status. They're "better" in ways suitable to the campaign world (including but not limited to things like superior materials, designer labels, custom tailoring, and fancy decoration), but those ways are going to be specific to different campaign worlds, so Basic doesn't get into it any further.

The embellishment rules in LT (and in DF8) get into those specifics in ways applicable to most low-tech campaigns: High quality materials cost this much. Fancy embroidery costs that much. The import of the table at the top left of LT p. 38 is that a sufficiently embellished outfit is the same thing as high status clothing. Add enough embellishments to raise the cost high enough, and it's suitable for high status people to wear.

So, then, someone coming up with a high status character can either buy that character an outfit for 20% of CoL and have it assumed that it's sufficiently embellished in various ways for it to cost that much or start with a basic outfit and throw on embellishments until the price reaches 20% of CoL.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 03:57 PM   #6
Sorenant

Default Re: [Basic] [LT] Does high status clothing include embelishment bonus?

That answers my question, thanks you all!
Sorenant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clothing, cost, economics, embellishment, low-tech, status