Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-27-2017, 12:00 AM   #51
lordabdul

Default Re: Balanced games for archers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
what are you thinking off here, stuff like reach tactics?
Funny, just before I came here to check on the forums, I was just looking at my party's weapons and their reach, and see what kind of interesting things I can do there :)

Two of the PCs have reach 1,2 weapons, which means I should really also throw a few NPCs that go into close combat (something which I also barely ever used). Forcing those players to spend a turn changing grips, or spend a turn moving away to keep the NPCs at bay would probably do wonders to break the monotony of attacks every turn.
lordabdul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 03:32 AM   #52
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordabdul View Post
Funny, just before I came here to check on the forums, I was just looking at my party's weapons and their reach, and see what kind of interesting things I can do there :)

Two of the PCs have reach 1,2 weapons, which means I should really also throw a few NPCs that go into close combat (something which I also barely ever used). Forcing those players to spend a turn changing grips, or spend a turn moving away to keep the NPCs at bay would probably do wonders to break the monotony of attacks every turn.
Yep, reach can work in both directions. Also reach advantage and wait can give you some nasty tactic's to fight defensively and still attack, (and also slow down melee for the purposes already mentioned)

It also works well with shield walls (to pick up on that):

4 combatants*: 2 in front have large shields and the shield wall & team work perks, 2 standing behind have long weapons and team work perk.

The front row basically protects the whole lot, the back row can often get away with AoA's including AoA(L).

One potential down side is the front row can't retreat back into the back row, unless the back row has cleared the hex first which given the timing can be tricky to fit retreat movement in (as it kind of happens out of sequence). But that said chaps with large shields are likely to be only getting a +1 retreat bonus anyway.

But to go back to what we were talking about earlier, get some archers on the flank or behind it and it starts to suffer!

Now OK this might need a bit of work to fit into a Post Apoc setting! (But I do now see post apocalyptic huscarls in my minds eye)

*can be prone to being flanked, for extra defence 6 people 4 in the front 2 in the back

Last edited by Tomsdad; 04-27-2017 at 08:18 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 04:06 PM   #53
lordabdul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
Now OK this might need a bit of work to fit into a Post Apoc setting! (But I do now see post apocalyptic huscarls in my minds eye)
Post apocalyptic games are really just like medieval-fantasy games but replacing "mysterious and powerful artifacts left over from an old half-forgotten civilization" with "wooo, guys, I found a working 9mm gun in this old house!". While some character have some magic or 21st century tech, everybody else runs around with bows and swords.
lordabdul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 11:13 PM   #54
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordabdul View Post
Post apocalyptic games are really just like medieval-fantasy games but replacing "mysterious and powerful artifacts left over from an old half-forgotten civilization" with "wooo, guys, I found a working 9mm gun in this old house!". While some character have some magic or 21st century tech, everybody else runs around with bows and swords.
Very true, I guess it depends on how post post-apocalyptic is
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote