Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 02-19-2020, 08:57 AM   #1
psydraco

Default Deflecting Explosive Missile Spells

Hi, friends!

Considering two mages: Xin and Yed

Xin throws a explosive fireball right on the Yed Hex (ground, +4, etc.).

If Yed uses Deflect Missile blocking spell, where the explosive fireball could end? Right on the back hex of Yed or he can deflect the ball further away to get the less damage possible or no damage?

A guy sugested that he can deflect the explosive fireball away in a distance equals to his margin of success (but never in the oposite distance it comes). Using something like the scatter rulles (Exploits p.45). It is really possible or balanced?

Another question is, if Xin throw the ball in a hex where Yed has no vision (the back hex of Yed, for exemple) he cannot deflect it at all because he has no vision of the final target? Assuming, for example, that Yed is not in the way between the ball and his back hex.

Thanks and sorry if it was already answered in another thread. I did not found this two specific questions on the forum. Maybe my Research skill need more levels haha
psydraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 10:19 AM   #2
Anthony

Default Re: Deflecting Explosive Missile Spells

It's not clear that it's possible to use deflect missile against an area targeted attack at all, because deflect missiles needs a subject, and a missile targeted at the ground doesn't really have one.
Old 02-19-2020, 12:04 PM   #3
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by psydraco View Post
If Yed uses Deflect Missile blocking spell, where the explosive fireball could end?
For simplicity, I would treat it the same as a regular fireball. In other words, I would have it continue in a straight line past the subject hex until it either hits another target or reaches maximum range and poofs out. Think of it as deflecting it "up" by a very slight angle.

Quote:
A guy sugested that he can deflect the explosive fireball away in a distance equals to his margin of success (but never in the oposite distance it comes). Using something like the scatter rulles (Exploits p.45). It is really possible or balanced?
Sure, you could run it that way. There's no RAW basis for it, but it's not crazy. I'm not convinced that it would be more fun or more realistic than just having the missile keep going in a straight line.

Quote:
Another question is, if Xin throw the ball in a hex where Yed has no vision (the back hex of Yed, for exemple) he cannot deflect it at all because he has no vision of the final target? Assuming, for example, that Yed is not in the way between the ball and his back hex.
I'm less sure about this, but it seems like it might be less about seeing the back hex than being aware of the attack. If the attack is originating within Yed's field of view, I might treat it as a "Runaround" Attack (Exploits, p. 47) and give him a -2 to defend. I might adjust this based on the specific geometry of the encounter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
It's not clear that it's possible to use deflect missile against an area targeted attack at all, because deflect missiles needs a subject, and a missile targeted at the ground doesn't really have one.
Yeah, but it's not too much of a stretch to say that the subject is the hex of ground that it is being aimed at.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 12:34 PM   #4
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
Sure, you could run it that way. There's no RAW basis for it, but it's not crazy. I'm not convinced that it would be more fun or more realistic than just having the missile keep going in a straight line.
The problem is "straight line" is "into the ground".
Old 02-20-2020, 09:35 AM   #5
psydraco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The problem is "straight line" is "into the ground".
Make sense to me.

Thanks for the answers.
psydraco is offline   Reply With Quote