Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-28-2005, 12:45 AM   #1
Endovior

Default Infinite Worlds and IOU

I was at the FLGS lately, as they were having a sale. I bought both Infinite Worlds and IOU, and having looked over both books, am now strongly tempted to combine the two.

That being said, how would be the best way to do so? For example, what Quantum should IOU be on, and how would Infinity and Centrum react to such an actively parachronic neighbor?
Endovior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 01:58 AM   #2
Rendu

Default Re: Infinite Worlds and IOU

IOU is clearly on Quantum i , as it intersects orthogonally all parallel dimensions. And this is the only sense in which IOU is "normal".

Semi-seriously, I would say that IOU inhabits its own pocket dimension, with connections to all others. As to how Infinity and Centrum would react, I suspect the Archdean is investing a lot of effort in making sure this doesn't happen. A lot of former parachronic agents now have WUSE or C.H.T.H.U.L.U. professorships- what agent could resist the offer of The Treatment?

A lot depends on which way you're connecting them. Are your players freshthings who encounter a bunch of folks who seem to think that dimension travel is some sort of secret, or are they Agents trying to figure out where their malfunctioning conveyor has landed them?
Rendu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 06:29 AM   #3
cccwebs

I'm not sure I'd use the Quantum i idea. IOU's main campus is located on a Quantum lv, especially since the IOU books indicate that the area surrounding the campus are closer to "modern day" (at least from our perspective). There may be many IOU's throughout the quanta, and most likely they all "know" of each other and may even be controlled by the same ArchDean. (An idea I have set up for one of my campaign settings is of an entity whose consciousness exists in all quanta at once, each with it's own body) As for Infinity and Centrum interaction, well I'd say that the two may not even know of the existance of IOU, unless there's an Illuminated among Infinity or Centrum.
cccwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 07:15 AM   #4
DryaUnda

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccwebs
I'm not sure I'd use the Quantum i idea. IOU's main campus is located on a Quantum lv, especially since the IOU books indicate that the area surrounding the campus are closer to "modern day" (at least from our perspective).
Just my hunch, but I don't think Quantum has anything to do with proximity to our timeline.

Besides, Quantum i just looks cool, it even actually makes sense in regards to the settings. ^_^
Old 07-28-2005, 07:43 AM   #5
cccwebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryaUnda
Just my hunch, but I don't think Quantum has anything to do with proximity to our timeline.

Besides, Quantum i just looks cool, it even actually makes sense in regards to the settings. ^_^
Actually, per Infinite Worlds (which is what the OP is using), the Quantum level has everything to do with our "timeline", or more accurately Homeline's "timeline". Yes, "timelines" which are "close" to each other can exist on the same Quantum level. The overall differences between the two "timelines" determines if they reside on seperate Quantum levels.

As cool as Quantum i sounds, it just doesn't fit the Infinite Worlds setting. The IOU campus would be a place of many Nexus Portals (p 77), areas of Shiftrealms (p 79), and probably many hallways which are Dimensional Highways (p 79), all of which could lead to other IOU campus facilities in other "timelines".
Old 07-28-2005, 01:04 PM   #6
Endovior

The players are agents: I've been asked to run an Infinite Worlds campaign, and I'm considering throwing in IOU at some point mainly because it's cool and I have it.

That being said, I'm tending to agree that the Archdean and other high-level staff would be opposed to contact with Infinity and Centrum... but, that being said, I'm not sure how it could be prevented, with Nexus Oversight looking over every portal, there has to be numerous ones connecting to IOU that have been found... not to mention the good chance that Infinity would find IOU on it's own, without a portal. It's a case of massive resources vs massive resources, and it'd be rather difficult for IOU to screen out parachronic travellers from Homeline and Centrum when they're receiving so much parachronic travel in general. On the other hand, it's more interesting to let the PCs arrive with no knowledge of the situation, so I'm inclined to make it so... but I'm looking for a semi-plausable reason behind such.
Endovior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 01:38 PM   #7
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Have you Considerded the higher Up's in both Infitiy and Centruam are IOU grads, and the ArchDean has enough dirt on them that they will not interfrear with her profit margins....
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 01:54 PM   #8
cccwebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl
Have you Considerded the higher Up's in both Infitiy and Centruam are IOU grads, and the ArchDean has enough dirt on them that they will not interfrear with her profit margins....
I just hope they are following Rule #1. ;)
Old 07-28-2005, 06:55 PM   #9
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

That's what I'd do -- make it such that enough key people have been suborned (via any combination of bribery, graduates, night-classes, tuition, mind-control, etc.) that IOU is essentially a worst-kept secret. However, it's a secret which the PCs don't know, and most of the rank and file NPCs don't know (or don't know they know). Students on campus are used to weirdies showing up, if it's the full-blown Silly version, and you can give some low chance of recognition of the Patrol buzzwords if you want...

If you run the Dark IOU, then only a few key people are suborned, and there isn't much contact with other time/universe travelers -- most gates in are routed elsewhere unless you get it just right, or have the right key, or are bounced out so that the place looks like some boring parallel that's not really worth bothering with...
Old 07-28-2005, 10:59 PM   #10
Michael Hopcroft

I wonder if IOU might to actually be on Homeline. The guy who invented parachonic technology sounds very much like he could bhe an IOU graduate.

That reminds me -- I wonder if there would be enough demand to justify a 4e IOU book? Maybe as an eBook for e23, perhaps?
Michael Hopcroft is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
infinite worlds, infinte worlds, iou