Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 06-24-2021, 08:51 PM   #1
Daimyo_Shi

Default AADA VG Vol. 3

I have seen some comments that hold the AADA VG Vol. 3 in low regard, how bad isn't it in general what should I be looking for?
Daimyo_Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 02:19 PM   #2
43Supporter

Default Re: AADA VG Vol. 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo_Shi View Post
I have seen some comments that hold the AADA VG Vol. 3 in low regard, how bad isn't it in general what should I be looking for?
Short Version: So far as anyone has been able to determine, every single design in it is Illegal in some respect -- wrong cost, wrong weight, etc. -- plus some absolute howlers like the Luxury with two BCs out one facing.

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 04:27 PM   #3
swordtart

It also seemed to forget the point of the Vehicle Guides which was to provide some idea of what Joe Normal was driving. This was to flesh out non-arena scenarios. I never played an arena event where each player hadn't designed their own vehicle once they had graduated from Am Night.

CW has a lot of luck in it, but there are two aspects that benefit from player skill. Tactical decision making is important, but can be constrained by the vehicle design. The design is therefore where the player can exhibit the most skill (which is why we spent more time designing vehicles than actually playing out the battles). Once you hand the design aspect to a third party, all that is left is tactical decisions and luck. There are other wargames that rely on those two factors that play faster than car wars.

I really had no need for a book dedicated to illegal, uncompetitive and frankly boring vehicles tied to division limits.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 06:03 PM   #4
kjamma4

Additionally, whatever its value was at the time of publication, the ease and speed of design now has rendered it a curiosity only.
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote