Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 11-14-2018, 10:02 PM   #21
Skarg

Default Re: Cidri Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
Why? More importantly, what's the difference? "Technology of a significantly advanced state is indistinguishable from magic."
Isn't that quote simply referring to not being able to tell how it works and what its limits are, if you don't know about them?

It seems to me that GM's who don't know or care can and will continue to not know or care, but for GM's who are interested and would like to give some thought to their cosmology, and have some satisfyingly self-consistent understanding of it, that doesn't really add much except as a reminder that probably only some Mnoren would know about such things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
True, but for me there's always been a line (subjective as it may be) between what is achievable thru high-concept science and technology vs. magic. I always imagined the Mnoren's power to be primarily based on the former and while they must have an awareness of magic, I thought it might be interesting from a story standpoint if magic ultimately turned out to be their 'Achilles Heel'.
Yes. I think that's an interesting dynamic to play with, which can work out in all sorts of ways.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 07:53 PM   #22
Oneiros

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Anyone competent at navigating by the stars would clue in. I'm tempted to argue that it should be a magical Dyson sphere around a small artificial sun that repels matter to create the illusion of gravity.
Or have it be a ring that rotates, generating."gravity" via centrifugal force. Alternately, the exterior of a full Dyson sphere shell could have advanced technology/magic that creates gravity, pulling everything "down", away from the sun.
Oneiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:47 PM   #23
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiros View Post
Alternately, the exterior of a full Dyson sphere shell could have advanced technology/magic that creates gravity, pulling everything "down", away from the sun.
Or your "sun" is actually a white hole that repels everything. Of course no night means no vampires.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:59 PM   #24
TippetsTX

Definitely a lot of interesting ideas here, though I still prefer the 'big artificial planet' concept.

As far as the physics go, I'm thinking my version of Cidri must be mostly hollow which would keep the mass much lower than it would otherwise be. In addition, whatever technology they use to keep the dimensional rift to 'hell' contained would obviously have the ability to manipulate gravity on a massive scale.
Old 11-16-2018, 01:14 AM   #25
JLV

Wasn't Big Planet a thing once upon a time (by Jack Vance, even, if I recall correctly)? And, if memory serves, lack of metals in the planet composition was why the big planet could exist without crushing gravity; which, of course, raises all kinds of issues of it's own in terms of how you make weapons and armor without metals (Empire of the Petal Throne, among others, takes this concept on head-on). And, if I remember my Cidri commentary from the old days, that's why adventures like Security Station even existed -- that roll of copper wire was literally worth it's weight in gemstones...
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:15 PM   #26
platimus

I like the "gate-network of several worlds" idea because I love Stargate. Another twist on that could be that these gate-connected worlds are the same world but in different parallel universes. Of course, most inhabitants don't know this.

I also like the idea that Cidri is actually a Mnoren computer simulation like The Matrix. Of course, most wouldn't know this either. Magic is like Neo being able to manipulate the code of the Matrix. As far as "waking up" goes, most inhabitants of Cidri are programs with no flesh-and-blood bodies to wake-up with.

The Matrix idea also encapsulate the "zoo idea". The Mnoren's might translate living beings they find in the "real world" into program-code and upload them to the Cidri Matrix.

Last edited by platimus; 11-16-2018 at 02:22 PM.
platimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:21 PM   #27
hcobb

Would this make the demons grumpy sys admins?
Old 11-16-2018, 02:23 PM   #28
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by platimus View Post
I also like the idea that Cidri is actually a Mnoren computer simulation like The Matrix. Of course, most wouldn't know this either. Magic is like Neo being able to manipulate the code of the Matrix. As far as "waking up" goes, most inhabitants of Cidri are programs with no flesh-and-blood bodies to wake-up with.
Now there's an interesting twist!
Old 11-16-2018, 02:23 PM   #29
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Would this make the demons grumpy sys admins?
Possibly. Or cantankerous old programs that help maintain the system.

Demon...daemon...

Last edited by platimus; 11-16-2018 at 02:41 PM.
platimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:25 PM   #30
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by platimus View Post
Possibly. Or cantankerous old programs that help maintain the system.
And 'wishes' are cheat codes.