Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-03-2011, 10:11 AM   #1
Gorkamorka
Ceci n'est pas un hyperlien

Default Interview with Dr Kromm about GURPS

I know we aren't suppose to link dump here, but I'm going to anyway.

Ninja VS Pirates podcast just released a two part interview with our very own Dr. Kromm about GURPS and GURPS Action!

Can be found here and here.
Gorkamorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:26 AM   #2
nanoboy

Default Re: Interview with Dr Kromm about GURPS

Yay! A Steve Jackson Games employee shows up on a podcast! Seriously, though, I listen to a lot of RPG podcasts, and I get frustrated with the lack of GURPS presence on them. (Some are outright derogatory toward GURPS.)
nanoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:32 AM   #3
Langy

So, what's on the podcast? Anything interesting?

(I absolutely refuse to listen to podcasts. I like my news in easy-to-read format, not random-people-talking format, and I don't understand why anyone would prefer a podcast to a transcript)
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:39 AM   #4
nanoboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post

(I absolutely refuse to listen to podcasts. I like my news in easy-to-read format, not random-people-talking format, and I don't understand why anyone would prefer a podcast to a transcript)
It's something to listen to while doing chores, driving, or other mindless work.
nanoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:46 AM   #5
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanoboy View Post
It's something to listen to while doing chores, driving, or other mindless work.
Yeah, but what if I'm sitting at a computer and just want to get a highlight of what's going on? It's impossible to scan through an audio file, you can't search through it, and you can't find out if there's anything in it you'd find interesting in just a few seconds. If podcasts came with transcripts I'd be fine with them, but without them they're just useless for me.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:18 PM   #6
Wraithe

Quote:
Yeah, but what if I'm sitting at a computer and just want to get a highlight of what's going on? It's impossible to scan through an audio file, you can't search through it, and you can't find out if there's anything in it you'd find interesting in just a few seconds. If podcasts came with transcripts I'd be fine with them, but without them they're just useless for me.
If you listen to Radio shows, then podcasts make sense, if you don't, then the obverse would be true.

I will note, that some of the podcasts actually chapter their 'casts, so you CAN find a section you wanted to listen too, but that depends on the podcaster.

Gorkamorka, thanks for posting this, I'll check it out, sounds interesting.
Wraithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:11 AM   #7
Bruno

Quote:
You're a visual/text oriented learner, and find text "easy-to-read". That's good for you. Other people are audio-oriented learners, and find the conversation format easier to listen to.

Things like visual impairment and dyslexia can further complicate things by making reading text extremely challenging or outright impossible. Text-to-speech software is ... functional... which can give people in this third "I don't have a choice" category access to electronic text, but is way worse to listen to than even someone bouncing back for laryngitis over a highly-compressed VoiP protocol. :)

I'm a text-oriented learner, and gamers who hang around on forum boards tend to be heavily weighted towards this learning style - but I have a sneaking suspicion that in the greater population we're a minority, and will be until we get around to rewiring peoples brains.

It's not related to literacy levels at all - it has to do with specific aptitudes, and is why kids are put in classrooms with lectures, instead of just handed worksheets and handouts every class.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:19 AM   #8
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
You're a visual/text oriented learner, and find text "easy-to-read". That's good for you. Other people are audio-oriented learners, and find the conversation format easier to listen to.

Things like visual impairment and dyslexia can further complicate things by making reading text extremely challenging or outright impossible. Text-to-speech software is ... functional... which can give people in this third "I don't have a choice" category access to electronic text, but is way worse to listen to than even someone bouncing back for laryngitis over a highly-compressed VoiP protocol. :)

I'm a text-oriented learner, and gamers who hang around on forum boards tend to be heavily weighted towards this learning style - but I have a sneaking suspicion that in the greater population we're a minority, and will be until we get around to rewiring peoples brains.

It's not related to literacy levels at all - it has to do with specific aptitudes, and is why kids are put in classrooms with lectures, instead of just handed worksheets and handouts every class.
That's actually a good point, and one I hadn't considered before. I suppose podcasts aren't quite as silly as I thought, though they're still not something I'm going to bother with.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:39 AM   #9
Bruno

Quote:
That's actually a good point, and one I hadn't considered before. I suppose podcasts aren't quite as silly as I thought, though they're still not something I'm going to bother with.
Heck, I'm not twisting your arm about it or anything :)

I'm learning disabled and work in the accessibility industry for the visually impaired, so I'm unusually conscious of the subject. I hope you don't mind me info-dumping like that.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:30 AM   #10
Maz

Quote:
Kromm talks a bit about nice curves and nice tails.

Maybe I should have payed more attention, but that thing I heard.

-----

Other interesting things. He talk a bit about disadvantages and how it work, how it could be different.
Also a good bit about the GM's role in GURPS.

Last edited by Maz; 06-06-2011 at 02:52 AM.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gurps 4e, gurps action, interview, kromm, podcast