Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-21-2012, 01:27 AM   #1
JCurwen3

Default Is Lying a Reasonable Technique?

Based off of Acting or maybe Fast-Talk skill.

I'm thinking of someone who is especially good at lying and just "eh" at the other facets of Acting (and / or Fast-Talk, for quick and dirty lies, maybe).

Could allowing a Lying technique be abusive? Buying it up from the skill's default, maybe to max skill+5 or +6?
Old 07-21-2012, 01:55 AM   #2
Sunrunners_Fire

Default Re: Is Lying a Reasonable Technique?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post

I'm thinking of someone who is especially good at lying and just "eh" at the other facets of Acting (and / or Fast-Talk, for quick and dirty lies, maybe).

Could allowing a Lying technique be abusive? Buying it up from the skill's default, maybe to max skill+5 or +6?
I'd suggest: Lying (Acting) (Tech/H); defaults to Acting; up to Acting + 4. Its' not self-limiting (+5) and it isn't easily abused (+3). Its' technically a sub-skill, as there is no penalty to buy off.

I'd allow it in my games.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:57 AM   #3
Langy

Assistant Line Editor RPK thinks so.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:15 AM   #4
JCurwen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
Thanks, that's awesome, just what I needed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
I'd suggest: Lying (Acting) (Tech/H); defaults to Acting; up to Acting + 4. Its' not self-limiting (+5) and it isn't easily abused (+3). Its' technically a sub-skill, as there is no penalty to buy off.

I'd allow it in my games.
And thanks to you too... your technique is essentially RPK's, only reached independently. Nice :-)
Old 07-21-2012, 05:37 AM   #5
B9anders

Social Engineering has a section on lying, when to use which skills and modifiers.
B9anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:57 AM   #6
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:

I think so, yes. It's far too broad, in terms of the fraction of uses of social skills, especially Fast-Talk, that involves it. Much more than 25% of overall uses of Fast-Talk involves uttering untru statements.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:52 AM   #7
Anaraxes

You might allow the Technique for Acting only, but not Fast-Talk.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:28 PM   #8
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:

Acting is the canonical skill for lying, I believe. I think a technique would work in concept, but I might consider whether there should be different techniques for different ways to dissemble.

Perhaps of interest, here are several other techniques I thought up a while back:

Fit-In
Average
Default: Acting-2, Shadowing-2, Observation-2
Cannot exceed base skill.
This allows a person to appear to be innocuous and appropriate despite being noticed.

Stand-out
Average
Default: Performance-2, Acting -?
Cannot exceed base skill.
Allows a person to draw attention to themselves without appearing to do so deliberately. Apply bonuses for Charisma, and the absolute value of any Appearance modifier to the roll.

Characterization (Specify)
Average
Default: Acting
The character has developed particular skill at portraying a particular character, either in a play or as a cover. Use the level in this technique instead of the level in Acting for performing as this character.

Repertory (Play/Work)
Average
Default: Acting, Musical Instrument, Singing
The character has developed an in-depth and comprehensive grasp of a particular play or work of music, and hence performs it better than the base skill level.
(I didn't come up with this one.)

Excite
Average
Default: Sex-Appeal -4
Cannot be improved above base skill.
The character has practiced quick use of the skill (one second, free action) to momentarily distract someone else. In combat this technique can be used in the same way as a Ruse (Feint). Out of combat it will trigger a one minute IQ reduction in affected characters (can be renewed with continued use of the Technique), and will cause those with Lechery disadvantage to make a self-control check.

Enable
Average
Default: Carousing -2
This is the technique of prolonging or intensifying a social activity -- e.g. buying another round just as people are thinking of leaving. Roll a quick contest of Will vs Enable with each person in the group who is a free agent (servants and underlings who have no choice do not need to be tested) Apply -1 to the Enable technique per free-agent in the group to be influenced.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:44 PM   #9
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

On Lying and Fast-Talk:
I think Lying should have only one effect: resisting Detect Lies/Body Language for purposes of spotting lies. It does not help in Influence rolls that are based on a lie. It might help in Specious Intimidation the only form of deception is a simple lie.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:20 PM   #10
JCurwen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
Acting is the canonical skill for lying, I believe. I think a technique would work in concept, but I might consider whether there should be different techniques for different ways to dissemble.

Perhaps of interest, here are several other techniques I thought up a while back:
[snip]
Thanks for sharing, these techniques are great!

Tags
acting, fast-talk, lying, technique