Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-09-2013, 05:34 PM   #11
Anthony

Default Re: Ripping Out Someone's Heart

Absent a cutting implement or ability, I suspect that simply punching a hole in someone's rib cage big enough to let you pull the heart out will also pulp the heart, so that pretty much puts this all in the superpowers range right there. If you have a proper cutting implement, IME it's fairly practical to split the breast of a chicken with a knife, but takes multiple seconds, so someone with a ST of 50 or so can probably do the same to a human chest.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:43 PM   #12
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
Of course the Mayans were rumored to do this in one slice of a glass knife.
Obsidian is INCREDIBLY sharp. Modern tests have shown that you can do brain surgery with an obsidian knife, if you're really careful.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:33 PM   #13
DangerousThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Obsidian is INCREDIBLY sharp. Modern tests have shown that you can do brain surgery with an obsidian knife, if you're really careful.
I heard many years ago that there were experiments with using glass scaples in the us for just that reason. The problem was that they were too fragile and tended to leave glass fragments where the scaples hit bone. Not to mention dropping accidents making them hazardous for the surgeons.

I wonder what could be done with today's newer and stronger glasses? Of course, we're also able to make sharper metals too.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:45 AM   #14
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
I heard many years ago that there were experiments with using glass scaples in the us for just that reason. The problem was that they were too fragile and tended to leave glass fragments where the scaples hit bone. Not to mention dropping accidents making them hazardous for the surgeons.

I wonder what could be done with today's newer and stronger glasses? Of course, we're also able to make sharper metals too.
Obsidian is tough enough to not shatter into thousands of pieces so easily, but the main lroblem would be convincing surgeons to change materials from modern steel and lasers to what is basically stone-age tech. Seriously, it's sharper than surgical steel, but I dpn't know of any stats for it in GURPS terms.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:59 AM   #15
Anthony

Quote:
Obsidian is tough enough to not shatter into thousands of pieces so easily, but the main lroblem would be convincing surgeons to change materials from modern steel and lasers to what is basically stone-age tech. Seriously, it's sharper than surgical steel, but I dpn't know of any stats for it in GURPS terms.
In GURPS terms, it's a cheap knife, because it may be tough, but it's not tough enough to hit armor and not shatter. In any case, if glass were really that good a material it would be used, but sharpness isn't everything.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:03 AM   #16
ajardoor

Keep in mind that Resident Evil 5's Albert Wesker was "super-science" and Mortal Kombat's Kano was ridiculously cinematic.

And to get the points needed to pay for their abilities, they had to take the disadvantages Obsession (COMPLETE GLOBAL SATURATION!!) and Odious Personal Habit (Terrible Australian Accent), respectively.
ajardoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:38 PM   #17
cosmicfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
I know that to do this requires superhuman ST, so the next question would be: how much ST to do this to an average human?
This is not a question of ST. Ripping out the heart requires at least the following steps:

1) Create a hole in the chest large enough for a hand clenching a heart, without damaging the heart in the process.

2) Grasping ahold of the heart without destroying it.

3) Sever all the tissues connecting the heart to the body (including all those pesky blood vessels), again without damaging the heart.

4) Pull the heart out through the hole.

I don't know of any particular weaknesses in the tissues of the chest that would allow (1) or (3) to happen simple with force - you would need a cutting or perhaps impaling attack to make these happen.

Quote:
Also, ignoring RAW, because it doesn't like insta-kill attacks and I'm less hostile to the idea of them, how much damage does the heart really need to "cripple" or destroy it? For instance, the eye takes HP/10 to be blinded, and double that to be destroyed. As a house rule, if I wanted to treat the heart in a similar manner, for the purposes of injury (including being ripped out), what would be a reasonably realistic way to do this technique then, and how much HP of injury could a heart withstand?
You are not trying to destroy the heart - your description requires an intact heart and a ruined chest cavity. I would say that step (1) above requires depleting the victims full HT at least, assuming perfect technique. I would think that step (3) above would probably likewise require at least HP/2 - You are talking about 100+ square inches of cutting! I do not think even Pressure Secrets would do this - that skill seems more suited to the inverse problem of destroying the heart while leaving the rest of the chest cavity intact!
cosmicfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:48 PM   #18
Anthony

And overall, I'd stat this ability up as:

Quote:
Perk: Fatality
When you kill someone with a blow that does at least HPx1 total injury, you may perform some over the top killing blow (defined when you buy the perk), such as ripping his still-beating heart out of his chest. Other than being potentially useful for intimidation, this has no mechanical effect. The GM may require the blow be targeted at a specific hit location, usually vitals, neck, or skull.
Side point: one of those traditional fatalities is punching someone in the nose and driving fragments into the brain. As far as I know this is totally mythical, but how would you do it? Best guess is something like 'Perk: you may treat a nose shot as a skull shot'.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:41 PM   #19
Gnomasz

Quote:
Seriously, it's sharper than surgical steel, but I dpn't know of any stats for it in GURPS terms.
In GURPS terms it's an awesome arrow material that nobody I know uses (p. B275).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Side point: one of those traditional fatalities is punching someone in the nose and driving fragments into the brain. As far as I know this is totally mythical, but how would you do it? Best guess is something like 'Perk: you may treat a nose shot as a skull shot'.
Isn't it like targeting chinks in armor?
Old 06-10-2013, 01:43 PM   #20
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
What would it take to rip someone's heart out of their chest (killing them, unless they have some exotic advantage) in RAW GURPS?
IIRC, classical-period Greek pankrationists were rumoured to be able to rip out people's intestines, and even livers.

How does that work in Martial Arts?
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combat, heart, house rule, technique