Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-27-2013, 11:28 AM   #1
Kalzazz

Default Parry Missile Weapons as Technique

I have at times rather not liked how Parry Missile Weapons works as it is its own separate skill as opposed to part of another weapon skill

For instance, if Mia the Swordmaster wants to get good at parrying arrows and such with her sword . . . . her sword skill has no role in it. And so she buys up Parry Missile Weapons. So now she can parry arrows with her sword. And with her gauntlets. And with a spear. And so on

But while she can parry arrows fine with gauntlets or a spear, she can't parry anything else with them (assuming she is focused on sword use instead of spear use or brawling or such)

Anyway, characters pg 212 has Parry Missile Weapons, and Campaigns 376 has Parrying Thrown Weapons

Campaigns applies a -1 penalty to parry most thrown weapons, -2 for small ones

Parry Missile Weapons gives +2 to small thrown, +4 to large thrown

So, if +4 for large thrown vs -1 for large thrown, one could guesstimate that a hypothetical Parry Missile Weapons Technique defaults to Parry -5

So, would a Hard Technique defaulting to Parry -5 be reasonable? (or a technique in general)

It would be cheaper for the most part, but balanced due to being for 'this one combat skill' instead of 'parry missile weapons with almost anything' I'd think
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:43 PM   #2
vierasmarius

Default Re: Parry Missile Weapons as Technique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
So, would a Hard Technique defaulting to Parry -5 be reasonable? (or a technique in general)
Absolutely! I've toyed with this idea in the past, and I think I came up with numbers similar to yours. You may want to limit it so that the technique can only cancel out the penalty, rather than giving a net bonus; it doesn't make much sense for a character to be able to parry a thrown spear more easily than a thrust spear.

Last edited by vierasmarius; 02-27-2013 at 04:46 PM.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:57 PM   #3
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
Absolutely! I've toyed with this idea in the past, and I think I came up with numbers similar to yours. You may want to limit it so that the technique can only cancel out the penalty, rather than giving a net bonus; it doesn't make much sense for a character to be able to parry a thrown spear more easily than a thrust spear.
I don't know. I might accept an argument that a weapon held by an opponent can make split second micro-adjustments that a projectile can't.
All in all, it's never going to be as sensible as blocking with a shield.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:51 PM   #4
Sunrunners_Fire

Modifiers
+4 Parry vs large thrown
+2 Parry vs small thrown
-2 Parry vs small low-tech
-5 Parry vs small high-tech

Defensive Technique
_ -0: Defaults to Parry
_ -X: Buys off a -X penalty
_ -1: Special Benefit (parry value based on weapon skill value and not parry missile weapons skill value)
_ Hard: Defensive Technique

So ...
Parry Small Low-Tech Missiles (Broadsword) (Tech/H); defaults to Broadsword Parry -3; Broadsword prerequisite; cannot exceed Broadsword Parry.
Parry Small High-Tech Missiles (Broadsword) (Tech/H); defaults to Broadsword Parry -6; Broadsword and Enhanced Time Sense prerequisites; cannot exceed Broadsword Parry.
... should be a valid constructions if your GM wishes to approve them.

Maybe -4 and -7 defaults if the special benefit is called out as being potent (changing the -1 from special benefit to -2).
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:55 PM   #5
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
Any technique that defaults to the skill at a penalty caps at the skill's value. Only techniques that default at to the skill without penalty can be taken above the skill's value; a cap of _skill +3 if easily abused, _skill +4 if normally and _skill +5 if self-limiting.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
martial arts, parry missile weapons, technique