Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-07-2017, 08:38 PM   #1
KarlKost

Default Instante Evaluate/Aim Technique

I was thinking about a technique (higly cinematic of course) that could let you use aim and evaluate INSTANTLY, without the need to spend 1-3 turns (it will be a power up for Martial Artists, Swashbuclers and Ninja in DF, maybe even others).

So, I thought to maybe allow the use of "reduced time" rules, to make it instant with a -10 penalty - yeah, so stupid, a -10 penalty to gain a +3 bonus? But, with a technique, I could buy off that -10 and stay ONLY with the +3, and besides, the bonus on skill isn't the only bonus.... Because I'll use the optional rule from martial arts that makes this bonus from Evaluate negate the penalty to defense from deceptive attacks (so, it would negate -3 penalty from deceptive attacks).

So, what do you think? An 11 points technique that gives +3 skill and also negates -3 penalties from deceptive attacks (for Evaluate)? Can I do that that way, could/must I do it another way, or can't I do it?
KarlKost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:46 PM   #2
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: Instante Evaluate/Aim Technique

As it stands, the closest thing the core rules have to an "instant Aim" is Gunslinger, which gives you Acc with 1-handed guns automatically, and half Acc with two-handed guns. That's where I'd start building this. I could see an enhancement for Weapon Master/Trained By a Master that let you effectively Evaluate as well as attack each round, building up the Evaluate bonus until you chose to use it on one attack, as long as you stayed focused on one opponent. I'd eyeball such an enhancement at about +15%. That means that on Weapon Master (One weapon), it's still cheaper than just buying a level of skill for the weapon, and it's about 7 points for Weapon Master (All weapons).

If you're really set on doing this as a cinematic skill, you could also look at the article "On Target", from Pyramid vol. 3/#77. It turns the Aim maneuver into one that requires a skill roll to perform. There are some options in there for critical successes on the Aim roll to make it instantaneous.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:57 PM   #3
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
If you're really set on doing this as a cinematic skill, you could also look at the article "On Target", from Pyramid vol. 3/#77. It turns the Aim maneuver into one that requires a skill roll to perform. There are some options in there for critical successes on the Aim roll to make it instantaneous.
I think I have a -10 option to do it on purpose too.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:58 PM   #4
KarlKost

Thank you a lot my friend
Old 04-07-2017, 10:09 PM   #5
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
I think I have a -10 option to do it on purpose too.
So you do! Actually, only -6, for the "Quick Aim" technique.

KarlKost, if you used that as a model for the "Quick Evaluate" technique, I'd go with -6 per turn of Evaluate removed (so -18 for the full +3), with Weapon Master/Trained By a Master halving the penalty.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 07:43 AM   #6
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:

KarlKost, if you used that as a model for the "Quick Evaluate" technique, I'd go with -6 per turn of Evaluate removed (so -18 for the full +3), with Weapon Master/Trained By a Master halving the penalty.
Yah, sorry, was not close to my files.

The -6 is because aiming a gun is a lot like firing a gun - same motions, same focus, etc. The act of aiming is actually the primary motion, the rest is just finger control. So -6 is the Rapid Strike penalty.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 09:57 AM   #7
KarlKost

Quote:

Great! So, I'll sell it as a power up, -9 with Trained By a Master/Weapon Master, plus a secret technique perk, that gives a 10 pts "power" - + 3 on skill, negates -3 in penalties to defense from deceptive attacks. Looking great for Ninjas and Swashbuclers!

Well, while we are at it, I'm also looking for some power ups for that could make use of Energy Reserves for DF... I loved the "Shouts" and "Rage Powers" for Barbarians on DF Denizens, and having those using "Rage" (ER), and I want to build something similar for other kinds of "mundane" fighters, particularly Knights. I'm looking for "powers" that could be seeing as "non-magical" (or non supernatural), at least for an Dungeon Fantasy point of view (so, holding your sword up to "remove fear" from your troops would be ok for Knights, but stealing lifeforce would not). I don't want to simply use the power ups for other templates either, while a few would fit, just buying everything from DF Denizens Swashbucklers wouldn't be satisfaying for my Knight (or Martial Artist).

So, for example, for Knights:
-Buffs for allies (Rally Powers) - Resist Fear, Resist Illusions/Mind Control, perhaps even resisting curses... Anything that could be seeing as a form of "Moral increase", that could be explained as the strong leadership and impressive personality of the Knight (common men, don't let them take hold of you! Fight against their evil influence!)
Nothing like the Paladin Regeneration Aura from Diablo 2.
-Debuffs/Agressive "Auras" for enemies - fear, of course, but the "all or nothing" fear table doesn't need to be the only option... Auras that reduce the Will of enemies, for example, would be just as good
-Personal Buffs - here is a little trick, because I dont wanna having too much mixing on the nixes of Barbarians and Knights, or Swashbucklers/Ninja/Martial Artists. So, a +5 ST with "costs ER or FP" is good for Barbarians (with "Temporary Disadvantage - Bloodlust), but for a Knight, probably some +X Will or +2 ST and +2 DX with "requires Awe (ER)", and something like, for Ninja/Swashbucklers +5 DX with "requires Furry of Blades (ER)" or something like it.

Also, I would like to make some techniques require FP or ER... Because I love vídeo game "energy bar". Can I just put enhancements and limitations on the full prices of power ups created upon techniques (or even skills)

Tags
aim, evaluate, technique