Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-17-2016, 07:19 PM   #1
RedDragon

Default 3rd edition Martial Arts Maneuvers Missing In 4e

I own a paper copy of GURPS 3e Martial Arts and the pdf version of 4e Martial Arts, and i've noticed an absence of some of the maneuvers in the 3e book, namely Aggressive Parry, Hook Kick, Aggressive Parrying Kick, Cat Stance, Jab, Fleche, Shuto, Slip, Stop Hit, and Yawara maneuvers. Some of these maneuvers are integral to the design of one of the characters I'm making.

Are some of these still there under different names, or are they now covered by the basic rules? If they are well and truly gone, how would you suggest going about making defaults, etc. for them in a 4e game?
RedDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 07:32 PM   #2
Fred Brackin

Default Re: 3rd edition Martial Arts Maneuvers Missing In 4e

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDragon View Post
I own a paper copy of GURPS 3e Martial Arts and the pdf version of 4e Martial Arts, and i've noticed an absence of some of the maneuvers in the 3e book, namely Aggressive Parry, Hook Kick, Aggressive Parrying Kick, Cat Stance, Jab, Fleche, Shuto, Slip, Stop Hit, and Yawara maneuvers. Some of these maneuvers are integral to the design of one of the characters I'm making.

Are some of these still there under different names, or are they now covered by the basic rules? If they are well and truly gone, how would you suggest going about making defaults, etc. for them in a 4e game?
Aggressive Parry is still there (p.65 Martial arts) though it doesn't do as much damage. The Kick version is now called Jam.

Stop Hit is a tactic discussed in MA but no longer a Technique, I think Yawara is just a weapon and no longer a Technique.

I believe the rest were simplified or regularized out of existence.
Old 06-17-2016, 07:32 PM   #3
Cthugha

I have no idea about 3e at all, but some of them have the same names, so I can help you a little.
Aggressive Parry is a technique by the same name(p.65)
Aggressive Parrying Kick is a Jam(p.74)
Stop Hit is either Stop Hit on p.108 (most likely) or Stop thrust in Basic (B366)
Yawara is either simply Hammer Fist technique on p.73 or the same techique when you are armed with yawara weapon (p.226)

If you will describe what Hook Kick, Cat Stance, Jab, Fleche, Shuto and Slip did in 3e I may try to find their equivalents in 4e.
Cthugha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 07:35 PM   #4
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDragon View Post

Aggressive Parry does exist in 4e. It's right there in Martial Arts

A hook kick is either simply a type of Committed Attack or Spinning Kick.

Aggressive Parrying Kick is now called Jam.

Cat Stance and Jab were over powered and removed from 4e intentionally. To do a kick when someone enters your hex use wait. To throw two fast and light punches use Defensive Attack with Rapid Strike.

I don't remember what Fleche does.

Shuto is just a type of Deceptive Attack.

Slip is now an option available to everyone. Look under Retreating Dodge.

Stop Hit exists, but not as an improvable technique--it might be called Stop Thrust.

A Yawara is simply one type of Fist Load--for which we have rules in 4e. Look at Armed Grappling for how to use a weapon as a lever in an Arm Lock.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 07:55 PM   #5
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
I don't remember what Fleche does.
A Fleche was a sort of running Lunge. You got extra movement at greater defense penalties.

Now it'd just be a Move and Attack or that Extra Effort option where you do a Move and Attack without the cap at 9 but have to spend 1 FP.
Old 06-17-2016, 11:12 PM   #6
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
A Fleche was a sort of running Lunge. You got extra movement at greater defense penalties.

Now it'd just be a Move and Attack or that Extra Effort option where you do a Move and Attack without the cap at 9 but have to spend 1 FP.
Or maybe All-Out Attack (Long) from Martial Arts.
Old 06-18-2016, 12:40 AM   #7
Mailanka

If there's a attack or sequence that you want to do (such as "After being attacked, I do a side-slip and then do a quick defensive counter-punch"), write it all down as a signature move, so you can easily remember how it works. If you must spend points on it, make a Trademark Move.

I too struggled with the transition from 3e Martial Arts to 4e Martial Arts, but the thing you have to understand about 4e Martial Arts is that you don't need to spend points on something and/or have it on your sheet to do it. Anyone with Boxing can do a jab or upper-cut, and anyone with Karate can do a kick, a spinning kick, a jam, an exotic strike to the neck, a sweep etc. It's just that certain people tend to do particular tricks or strategies more often, and those become techniques (if, and only if, they have a penalty associated with them. Jabs do not) and trademark moves.
Old 06-18-2016, 10:35 AM   #8
RedDragon

Ok. Thank you all for your replies.
RedDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 12:44 PM   #9
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
If there's a attack or sequence that you want to do (such as "After being attacked, I do a side-slip and then do a quick defensive counter-punch"), write it all down as a signature move, so you can easily remember how it works. If you must spend points on it, make a Trademark Move.
Yes, good point.

I'd also recommend considering a Combination--essentially, pick a sequence of 2 or 3 very specific moves you want to do in a single action and you can buy down the Rapid Strike penalty.

Tags
maneuvers, martial arts campaign, rules question