Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-29-2014, 08:43 AM   #1
Gandalf5

Default Techniques for Computer Hacking

Ok, so I have been running an on again off again SF campaign with mostly hard science, but I use a more cinematic approach to Computer Hacking. Nothing radical like bad cyberpunk, but sort of like what you see on police procedural programs where everything is unrealistically fast. I would like to develop several techniques to add some variety, does anyone have a list of any you've used and/or seen?
Gandalf5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:52 AM   #2
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Techniques for Computer Hacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf5 View Post
Ok, so I have been running an on again off again SF campaign with mostly hard science, but I use a more cinematic approach to Computer Hacking. Nothing radical like bad cyberpunk, but sort of like what you see on police procedural programs where everything is unrealistically fast. I would like to develop several techniques to add some variety, does anyone have a list of any you've used and/or seen?
I suppose you can allow the same Techniques as the Hacking Programmes/Actions from Console Cowboys (Pyramid #3/21).
Old 10-29-2014, 10:25 AM   #3
T.K.

It really depends on the setting imo...I mean, if there's nothing fancy going in the cyberspace besides super fast hacking and processing...why simply not use modifiers to skills and high levels or talents for those?

Like, allow a -10 to Computer Programing roll to do something instantly that would take minutes, for example?

Or, if you want special Techniques, couple these modifications to Techniques and pulverize it's learning around players to add flavor, like:

"Cap. DC" (a player) is a known hacker, capable of infiltrating systems in split seconds and overpowering heavy security systems?

Allow him to program or learn stuff like:

The Flash

Hard

Default: Computer Hacking -10
Prerequisite: Computer Hacking 20+, Cannot Exceed Computer Hacking Skill

Current Web protocols don't allow Spider Crawler Codes to be uploaded to the cyberspace, but you managed to get an old Crawler code that was still hosted on your high school servers to get back in business after some optimization.
You can use this Crawler to access different points of different systems, shortcutting your way, in fact reducing any task that would take minutes to only take seconds (adjust the time reduction according to your setting and needs...hours > min; hours > sec; min > sec; X secs > 1-3sec...).

Or...

Superman

Hard

Default: Computer Hacking -6
Prerequisite: Computer Hacking 20+, Cannot Exceed Computer Hacking Skill

You tactically left some hibernating code into the cloud just waiting for your command.
Upon activation, you divert a bit of processing power from many research-based super computers around the world, increasing your effective Brute Force Power to overpower security systems, brake codes and conquer access to restricted systems.
For purposes of Contest Rolls difference to see who's the winner, add +4 to your margin. This bonus only effects the margin when comparing Contests, requiring a success in the task at hand, in the first place.
After using this code, the world-spread code replicates and migrate to other systems, erasing completely their previous presence, virtually being impossible to be traced by almost all common means.
T.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 12:49 PM   #4
tantric
Banned

I could give you all kinds of realistic info, how it's done know, but that would be useless in SF. I do advise you to detail how the OS's and networks work, then build from there.
tantric is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
technique