Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-04-2010, 06:46 PM   #11
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Default Re: Space Ship based Hydroponics

Quote:
Originally Posted by hari View Post
I know nothing about hydroponics in space. But I can tell you that aquaponics would definitely be better. It's a mix of hydroponics and aquaculture. It takes the negatives of each, adds them together, and makes something much better. A major drawback of hydroponics is that you have waste water that pollutes natural waters. That might not be a problem in space. A major drawback with aquaculture, the raising of seafood in captivity to eat, is also waste water and the pollution it causes. Again, maybe not an issue in space. In aquaponics water is continuously cycled back and forth between the fish and plants. The fish benefit by having the plants filter the water for them. The plants benefit by getting their nutrition from the fish. Beneficial bacteria that break down ammonia make up the last unseen part of the system. All in all, it makes up a closed nitrogen cycle that grows incredibly healthy food. For example, the plants can be grown unconventionally close together and are surprisingly resistant to disease simply due to being in very good health. It would also require significantly less water to do then hydroponics, as you would never have to throw any water out.
I've commonly heard this proposed, with the usual astronaut diet consisting of veggies, Tilapia, and shellfish, along with some algae (technically cyanobacteria, I think).

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:59 AM   #12
hari

Veggies, tilapia, shellfish and algae would be a healthy diet!

All the inputs it would require, and this is important, would be a little water, power to pump the water, and food for the fish (which could be human waste I believe).

“The limits of my language mean the limits of my world”
hari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:47 AM   #13
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by hari View Post
All the inputs it would require, and this is important, would be a little water, power to pump the water, and food for the fish (which could be human waste I believe).
Can't forget light, and you'll probably want to put some carbon into the system as CO2 rather than exclusively as fish food.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:14 AM   #14
hari

Yeah, I totally forgot light. I didn't have any real time to think about it, was busy on a tight schedule at work. Light would be very important!

“The limits of my language mean the limits of my world”
hari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:03 AM   #15
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Plus it gives you pretty aquariums on your ship. And all that water is good radiation shielding, probably want to wrap it around at least a storm shelter, or maybe the hab if you can afford that much mass.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:48 AM   #16
RobKamm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakkerjakk View Post
Plus it gives you pretty aquariums on your ship. And all that water is good radiation shielding, probably want to wrap it around at least a storm shelter, or maybe the hab if you can afford that much mass.
And liguistically we'd get to replace "canary in a coal mine" with "guppy in the rad shield" (or something like that).
RobKamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:12 PM   #17
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobKamm View Post
And liguistically we'd get to replace "canary in a coal mine" with "guppy in the rad shield" (or something like that).
Fish are comparatively very resistant to ionizing radiation.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:29 PM   #18
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Fish are comparatively very resistant to ionizing radiation.
That could probably be adjusted, if one wanted to use the fish as canaries. Though with perfectly good technologies for detecting radiation, it doesn't seem like that attractive a notion.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:45 PM   #19
cjbeiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobKamm View Post
Say, how do fish manage in zero gravity? Have there been any long-term aquarium experiments done on the International Space Station or a Shuttle mission?
Old 11-05-2010, 12:50 PM   #20
benz72

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbeiting View Post
Say, how do fish manage in zero gravity? Have there been any long-term aquarium experiments done on the International Space Station or a Shuttle mission?
It's great for them.... they never float to the top.

+1 on the aquaponics suggestion, though i would intersperse a third tier with vermiculture. Feed waste to worms, feed worms to fish. Feed fish and veggies to crew, waste from crew, veggies and fish goes back to worms.

Tags
food gardens, hydroponics, permiculture in space, space, space ship