Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-23-2010, 12:27 PM   #21
Astromancer

Default Re: [Space] Baseline Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Suppose you were going to run an (interstellar) Space game. Or in fact are.
I actually like a great deal of varriability in my Space games, still, you asked about a baseline setting.

Quote:
What would your Tech Level be?
Tech Level Nine with FTL and Matter Transmitter superscience. But otherwise, straight TL9, though very Transhuman Space! in many ways now. I guess STAR TREK has colonized my brain.

Quote:
Would you have spacefaring alien rivals to humanity or just genetic variants of humanity?
There would be others, either, as in THS just forming out of humanity, or full blown aliens, even if they are technically human. The STAR TREK option of humanlike aliens is good for me. Really Alien aliens is also fun.

Quote:
What would be your preferred propulsion model?
I prefer a cheap reliable jump-drive for the established routes and an expensive tricky warp-drive for explorers. That way, the galactic mains have strategic value, but the off-the-beaten-track areas are lively too. Just harder to reach. World on the Jump-Drive routes are in cheap quick contact with other star systems, like the major trading nations of the 21st century. Systems that you need to reach by Warp-Drive are like 17th century North America or 18th century Madagascar, isolated but not sealed off.
[/quote]

Quote:
How far in the future would it be?
It depends on how much cultural change my setting needs. If you need neo-human speices to have their own evovled cultures, that can take centuries. If I simply want modern people in space, fifty years on and handwaving. It varies.

Quote:
Why would be good.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:28 PM   #22
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakkerjakk View Post
Meh, tropes and cliches only become so because they're effective shorthand and thematic tools. Course, my precursor races wouldn't have created other intelligent races, they'd just leave behind TL 12^ artifacts and the occasional death trap.
Often, yes. But the higher the level of technology the harder it is to wipe out a society completely. I just don't see how you could wipe out a TL12 interstellar society plausibly.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:34 PM   #23
Flyndaran
Untagged

TL9 safetech with only three giant FTL ships that carry space stations for instant set up in new systems.

One alien species with a monopoly on the FTL ships, and a few others lifted from the stone age. Screw the prime directive. ;)
One aquatic cuttlefish like species with status issues.
One uplifted species that came from the FTL guys' sister planet.
One anomalous species from a sulfuric acid covered planet with ATR 1.

I'm not sure if I would include humans. Or maybe have a few individuals "abducted" while the rest of earth lives ignorantly of the Federation.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:37 PM   #24
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Often, yes. But the higher the level of technology the harder it is to wipe out a society completely. I just don't see how you could wipe out a TL12 interstellar society plausibly.
Oh, I agree. That's part of the big mystery. Where did they go? Why? Plus, in order to fit in with our observable reality (where space telescopes haven't seen any dyson spheres or other such projects) why did they disguise all their mega-engineering projects so fastidiously? What were they hiding from?

Given my GMing predilictions, there'd probably be some kind of "cosmic horror" answer.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:43 PM   #25
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Given my GMing predilictions, there'd probably be some kind of "cosmic horror" answer.
Monstrous reality bending creatures that only notice us specks if we wield super high tech?
I like that.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:05 PM   #26
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Monstrous reality bending creatures that only notice us specks if we wield super high tech?
I like that.
Yeah. Only really starts hunting down things that are observably a Kardashev Class II or higher civilization. Or something. I dunno, really it's just a boogyman to spring on my players if the campaign ever focused in that direction.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 02:36 PM   #27
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Oh, I agree. That's part of the big mystery. Where did they go? Why? Plus, in order to fit in with our observable reality (where space telescopes haven't seen any dyson spheres or other such projects) why did they disguise all their mega-engineering projects so fastidiously? What were they hiding from?

If you skip the silly Hollywood Science at the end, Mass Effect (esp. the second one) presents a good set of answers to these questions.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:56 PM   #28
sgtcallistan

Mixed: from primitive/fallen worlds to TL11/Star Wars/Dune level, to finds of higher tech from earlier times (also human, oddly).

Would you have spacefaring alien rivals to humanity or just genetic variants of humanity?

Both: most people you meet are humans or variations thereof due to separation over time/radiation/genetic manipulation in the distant past (includes cat-men, dog-men, etc. for colour, a nod to Cordwainer Smith, and to give the players a race problem to rise above).
Then you meet some slightly superior aliens, who look like very different bipeds.
Then you discover they are also basically human stock...

I use 'conversation drive' as adapted from the old WEG Star Wars game.
The journey lasts long enough to have a conversation/planning session; or to cut away to what others are doing at that moment.
Cinematic, basically.
The propulsion drive itself is even simpler; 'it works until it doesn't'.
Still needs a ship to accelerate up to speed/away from a gravity well.
Helps the dramatics, y'know.

Far, far future (Dune), or long, long ago (Star Wars). Dramatically the same I feel, as we don't have to worry about Earth or so many of it's problems. YMMV.

Why would be good.

Why? Just because. I find that good. ;)

Last edited by sgtcallistan; 10-23-2010 at 04:06 PM. Reason: addition
sgtcallistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:54 PM   #29
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

I like use Asimovian Jumpdrives for my FTL drives, it allow space opera battles becuase your restrict to STL inside a gravity well, Navigation routs to avoid gravity wells bettwen you and your target destination.

if your players have issue with FTL communications, no problem you just use Jump Drive curers, the Pony Express Rides again 8)

Also like Uplift/Babylon 5 feel that humans aren't the biggest kids on the block 8)
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:16 PM   #30
Frost

Quote:
Suppose you were going to run an (interstellar) Space game. Or in fact are.

For my curent homebrew setting TL10^ is probably the best description though the defigning paridigm is Conservitive Hard SF unless I need superscience to solve a specific problem (ok so its a cop out, but so what). TL 10 (slightly edited) strikes me as having a good ballence between novelty and familiarity.

Quote:
Both have their uses. My gut instinct will always be humans only, but at the end of the day one or two non-humanoid, non-PCable races are too useful a plot device not to keep in reserve. When I need to play the alien card I have a couple of races picked out ready for use although it hasn't come that far yet.

Quote:
Either fast superscience STL or slow FTL. I have used both in various incarnations of the setting with some sucess but for the curent version I have gone back to STL with a pesudo-velocity drive pinched almost verbatim from David Pulver's 'Meridian' setting. This suits the campaign because it makes interstellar travel a big deal without being completely unatainible it also suits the episodic nature of my campaigns.

Quote:
Given the slow nature of travel I tend to use a rough outline of a future history running from about 100 years from now for 1500+ years. The timescale is chosen for much the same reasons as the TL. The relitively early starting point provides a degree of familiarity while alowing a measure of exoticism that can then build over time as settlement expands and cultures evolve and diverge.

Last edited by Frost; 10-24-2010 at 02:44 PM.
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
space, ultra-tech