Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-29-2009, 12:59 PM   #1
B9anders

Default how to model variant split personality?

I want to create a super that has a certain kind of split personality. When not in custome and doing the hero thing, she is regular and has mental disadvantages befitting of that (among others, she is lazy). When in custome, she becomes impulsive, on the edge and overconfident and notably a workaholic when it comes to superheroism.

It's not quite a fit for Split Personality as the change is predictable and not activated by stress. Rather it is dependent on whether she is in costume or not (excepting perhaps some truly great trauma and such).
Moreover, in her regular persona, she is inhibited in the sense that she finds it very difficult to use her powers (presumably requiring some kind of self-control or will roll) to their full extent.

We are not dealing with two radically distinct personalities here either, just two different sets of behavioural patterns. What makes it radical is that it is compulsive.

How would you model this?
B9anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:14 PM   #2
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: how to model variant split personality?

It sounds like a set of Personality Change quirks. Impulsive (only when I'm doing something I can choose not to do) isn't that big a disadvantage. Of course, if she has Compulsive Behavior (Superheroing), that might be a separate disadvantage...
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:30 PM   #3
B9anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
It sounds like a set of Personality Change quirks. Impulsive (only when I'm doing something I can choose not to do) isn't that big a disadvantage. Of course, if she has Compulsive Behavior (Superheroing), that might be a separate disadvantage...
Well, being an impulsive, on the edge, overconfident workaholic is significant enough to merit a lot more than a quirk change imo. Especially as it is not there out of costume (replaced of course, by disadvantages of similar value, notably trouble using powers).

She can be cautious and considered when she wants to, but she has other mental disadvantages when doing so, and most importantly, she can't really be so when doing superheroic stuff (although she can of course plan for such stuff out of costume).
B9anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 03:10 PM   #4
the_matrix_walker

Well, this is going to sound munchkin...

Take all the disadvantages and add accessibility modifiers "Only in costume" or "Only in civies"

Alternatvely, You could take disadvantages that apply to your normal form with your hero identity as a mitigator and vice versa...

Orrr (and this is my favorite.. i see a future house rule in this one...)
Alternative Disadvantages:
For whatever reason, certain character traits tend to manifest one at a time (A fairy is so small, they can only feel one thing at a time....)

Due to the potential for abuse, the "alternative disadvantages" must be of the same point value. (though you may group a number of minor disavantages as a package to balance against one of higher value). The point value is the normal cost of the "slot" minus 20% per slot beyond the first (making it less of a disadvantage).

For example... Professor Photon works like an engine in his lab, with intense focus, but get him out into the world and he's a little lost...

So he may have Absent Minded [-15] for out of the lab and Workaholic [-5], stubborn [-5], and Selfish [-5] while he's there... Each of the two slots is -15 points, so the point value for this dichotmous mindset would be -15 x .8 for a total of [-12] points
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 08:11 PM   #5
SuedodeuS

Your character has an Alternate Form, triggered by putting on (and taking off) the costume. As it probably takes longer to put the costume on than 10 seconds, you don't need to buy the time down.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:22 PM   #6
Mgellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Well, this is going to sound munchkin...

Take all the disadvantages and add accessibility modifiers "Only in costume" or "Only in civies"

Alternatvely, You could take disadvantages that apply to your normal form with your hero identity as a mitigator and vice versa...

Orrr (and this is my favorite.. i see a future house rule in this one...)
Alternative Disadvantages:
For whatever reason, certain character traits tend to manifest one at a time (A fairy is so small, they can only feel one thing at a time....)

Due to the potential for abuse, the "alternative disadvantages" must be of the same point value. (though you may group a number of minor disavantages as a package to balance against one of higher value). The point value is the normal cost of the "slot" minus 20% per slot beyond the first (making it less of a disadvantage).

For example... Professor Photon works like an engine in his lab, with intense focus, but get him out into the world and he's a little lost...

So he may have Absent Minded [-15] for out of the lab and Workaholic [-5], stubborn [-5], and Selfish [-5] while he's there... Each of the two slots is -15 points, so the point value for this dichotmous mindset would be -15 x .8 for a total of [-12] points
I think just using the Accessibility modifier makes sense. The behavioral patterns are there, and they could cause some real problems, but somehow they're only triggered when she's in "hero mode." It's more than a quirk, but she isn't always this way, so drop 10% or so from the "benefit" of the extra points. However, the player better role-play it!

The "Split Personality" disadvantage is a tricky one. I see why it is the way it is--as matrix walker pointed out, the way it is set up prevents abuse--but it's a little restrictive and it's really not appropriate for most character concepts.
Mgellis is offline   Reply With Quote