Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 05-10-2021, 06:20 AM   #1
Ganskelei

Default Critical role Munchkin card/rule queries

If anyone knows of a better place to post this, please let me know. I cannot find a single forum (including searching this one) that deals with critical role munchkin, as of yet. (I'm aware it's very new, but it's also sold out so presumably a lot of people are playing it)

I have three disputed rules for the new critical role munchkin. Hopefully someone can weigh in and clear things up because I love this game, but arguing about specific card interpretations is totally ruining it.

1. Priest card: when in combat you can give a card to another player to prevent them playing a card Against you.

Can you use this rule to give away a card after a player has played a card against you, in order to negate it? Or do you have to give a card preemptively to every single player to stop them playing cards against you?
If so, this implies a "quickdraw" scenario where players must play a card before the priest gives them a card to stop them.

2. Step of the wind (footwear. +1 bonus. Fighter only. Can discard in order to turn a failed Run Away roll into a success. 200gp)

In my opinion you should be able to use this even if it's carried (not equipped) and you aren't a fighter. Or, for that matter, discarded from your hand?

3. Level 10 Fire Giant Sentinels.
BAD STUFF - Lose a guest star. If you can't, you're dead

In my opinion you can "lose" a guest star from your hand in this circumstance, i.e. it's not necessary to have a guest star on the table in front of you. And even if you do, you can still opt to lose one from your hand. (EG if you have Orly Skiffback, who cannot be parted from you unless you die)

Thanks!
Ganskelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 04:20 PM   #2
Devin Lewis
Munchkin Associate Dev

Default Re: Critical role Munchkin card/rule queries

I can be overruled by folks from TheOP, should they so choose to, but as a Munchkin Authority, I would interpret these thusly:

1 - This has to be a reactive ability, as it is practically useless proactively. So I'd say you can use it after they've attempted to play something.

2 - Nope. You only gain the benefits from equipment when it is actually equipped unless it says otherwise.

3- It doesn't specify that you have to discard them from play, so from your hand would work just fine.
Old 05-11-2021, 01:03 AM   #3
eedee

Regarding number 3, does bad stuff work differently than curses?

If it was a curse: lose a guest star/headgear/hireling/big item/whatever, wouldn't it have to go from the ones you have in play?
eedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 06:02 AM   #4
Ganskelei

Thanks Devin, that's pretty close to my interpretation.

With regards to the priest ability, it seems quite op that you can negate any cards played against you in combat, as long as you have cards in your hand to give away?

How would you envisage this working? That you can give a card away after seeing a card placed against you, or that you must do it between a player 'declaring' to play a card a against you and actually seeing the card.

Also do you have to give a card away per card played, or will one card given to a player provide immunity from said player until combat is over?

And what would happen to the card you prevented from being played against you? Does that go back into the player's hand or into the discard pile?

Thanks again.

PS - eedee makes an interesting point, I'd like to see a 'ruling' on that too?

EDIT: just found this link: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=131943

Which states that cards in your hand only exist as 'cards', not items, headgear, guest stars, etc etc. Which would suggest #3 must only apply to guest stars in play.

Last edited by Ganskelei; 05-11-2021 at 06:06 AM.
Old 05-11-2021, 07:52 AM   #5
Fufu

Quote:
Originally Posted by eedee View Post
Regarding number 3, does bad stuff work differently than curses?

If it was a curse: lose a guest star/headgear/hireling/big item/whatever, wouldn't it have to go from the ones you have in play?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganskelei View Post
PS - eedee makes an interesting point, I'd like to see a 'ruling' on that too?

EDIT: just found this link: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=131943

Which states that cards in your hand only exist as 'cards', not items, headgear, guest stars, etc etc. Which would suggest #3 must only apply to guest stars in play.
It seems to me that the belief is cards are just cards in Your Hand until it is In Play. Cards in Your Hand are never targeted unless the card or rule says so. Therefore, this thread from MunchkinMan and Andrew Hackard is clarification of what cards are discarded In Play or Your Hand when a player is effected by a Curse!, Bad Stuff, etc.

Discards from Curses

However, could a player lose a Guest Star from Your Hand to negate the Bad Stuff like Death?

I would imagine that since the rules state a player can play a Guest Star at any time, I would say yes the Guest Star from Your Hand comes In Play, if the player does not already have a Guest Star In Play to satisfy the Bad Stuff. Otherwise, if the player has a Guest Star In Play, the player suffering the Bad Stuff must sacrifice the Guest Star In Play first and not a Guest Star from Your Hand since two Guest Stars cannot be In Play at the same time.

Although one could argue order of operation, yet putting a Guest Star In Play would satisfy the order of operation if a Guest Star was not already In Play to discard the Guest Star from Your Hand. Therefore, Devin Lewis' answer would be correct, if there isn't a Guest Star already In Play.

Munchkin Critical Role Rules (PDF)

Thus the answer from Discards from Curses:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
Or for a shorter and FAR more comprehensible answer:

Curses, Traps, and Bad Stuff never target cards in your hand unless they say so.

Last edited by Fufu; 05-11-2021 at 08:44 AM. Reason: added Munchkin Critical Role Rules (PDF) url
Fufu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 06:19 AM   #6
Ganskelei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fufu View Post

I would imagine that since the rules state a player can play a Guest Star at any time, I would say yes the Guest Star from Your Hand comes In Play, if the player does not already have a Guest Star In Play to satisfy the Bad Stuff. Otherwise, if the player has a Guest Star In Play, the player suffering the Bad Stuff must sacrifice the Guest Star In Play first and not a Guest Star from Your Hand since two Guest Stars cannot be In Play at the same time.

Although one could argue order of operation, yet putting a Guest Star In Play would satisfy the order of operation if a Guest Star was not already In Play to discard the Guest Star from Your Hand. Therefore, Devin Lewis' answer would be correct, if there isn't a Guest Star already In Play.
Having reread the rules, I think you're right. The game in question I did indeed have a guest star in play though, and that guest star was Orly Skiffback, who clearly states on his card that he cannot be parted from you unless you die. Which sounds brilliant, but I guess in this particular circumstance is a curse rather than a blessing, as I could not discard him in order to either satisfy the Bad Stuff, or to play another guest star with which to satisfy the Bad Stuff..
Old 06-30-2021, 09:51 PM   #7
RichardTog

Default -

I played Munchkin for the first time last Sunday. Was kinda fun, even though I lost horribly.

But Id have to say that Munchkin is not particularly playable in BRPG, at least not until I add support for multiple card decks on the table at one time.
RichardTog is offline   Reply With Quote