Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-04-2020, 01:35 PM   #11
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: [Sorcery] Novice's Weather Dome

That seems awfully high priced for a tent. I would suggest Ally (50%; Constant; Minion, +0%; Summonable, +100%) [16] , as that would just have enough ST and Payload to contain everyone. For example, a minion could have ST+90 (NFM, -40%; SM+4, -40%) [180], DX -10 [-200], IQ -10 [-200], HT +2 [20], DR 50 (CWA, -40%) [150], Doesn't Breathe [20], Doesn't Eat or Drink [10], Immunity to Metabolic Hazards [30], Homogenous [40], and Payload 60 [60], allowing it to store 12,000 lbs of cargo (five people in comfort, plus their gear).
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 02:14 PM   #12
Rindis

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
I forgot about the magical part for afflictions, but the No signature is needed as per page 9 of Sorcery. Its so that the casting of the spell is not obvious.

Sorcery page 9
"...No Signature to avoid being obvious. In effect, the spell is an invisible “beam attack” which must strike the subject."
It's needed if you don't want it to be obvious that you created the Tent, yes. There shouldn't be any real reason why that's necessary.

Quote:
But that costs way more than needed, It cost more than the weather dome spell which at level 1 is 130 points, yours is 170 points at level 1.
One problem is that as written... Control 2 would just let you make existing rain 20% lighter, no matter if it was light sprinkles or a downpour. With the kind of 'one task' idea going on here, I'd be tempted to treat it differently, so that mild conditions can be negated with lower Control, and extreme ones with 10. But figuring out that would be complicated, and certainly getting away from RAW.
Old 11-04-2020, 02:17 PM   #13
Anders

Can't we use Create to make a tent? Create cloth with Cosmic, no craft skill roll needed, +100%? Or Snatcher (Tent Only, -80%)?
Old 11-04-2020, 02:35 PM   #14
AlexanderHowl

Both would likely be more expensive than an Ally.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 02:52 PM   #15
zoncxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rindis View Post
One problem is that as written... Control 2 would just let you make existing rain 20% lighter, no matter if it was light sprinkles or a downpour. With the kind of 'one task' idea going on here, I'd be tempted to treat it differently, so that mild conditions can be negated with lower Control, and extreme ones with 10. But figuring out that would be complicated, and certainly getting away from RAW.
You are wrong, The spell is Control 2 + Control 8 (No increased area) for a total of Control 10. It is split to make it clear that you only use 2 levels of the Control ability to calculate area but use all levels to calculate Control. This is simliar write up as Weather Dome.
zoncxs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 03:13 PM   #16
Sorenant

Thanks for the suggestion, zoncxs, but I must say the ability still feels too pricy. It's comparable to other more powerful abilities like Jumper (Pocket Dimension; Immediate Preparation Required, 10 minutes, -45%; Improved, +10%; Larger Size 2, +20%; Sorcery, -15%) [70]...

Is there a reason DR can't be used as barrier? Something like DR (Limited, Weather; Force Field; Affect Others; Area Effect; Persistent)? I'm not entirely sure Persistent fits here so maybe an affliction that grants DR vs weather? Not exactly a "tent" but if DR is a valid way of doing this it might serve.
Sorenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 03:46 PM   #17
Rindis

Quote:
You are wrong, The spell is Control 2 + Control 8 (No increased area) for a total of Control 10. It is split to make it clear that you only use 2 levels of the Control ability to calculate area but use all levels to calculate Control. This is simliar write up as Weather Dome.
I didn't mean it as a problem with the spell, but a problem with how Control is written. As written, you need to go all the way to Control 10 to stop any amount of rain, no matter how light, or how heavy.
Old 11-04-2020, 07:45 PM   #18
zoncxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rindis View Post
I didn't mean it as a problem with the spell, but a problem with how Control is written. As written, you need to go all the way to Control 10 to stop any amount of rain, no matter how light, or how heavy.
EDIT:: I see what you mean now, yeah, there is no way to graph how many levels is needed for what weather condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorenant View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, zoncxs, but I must say the ability still feels too pricy. It's comparable to other more powerful abilities like Jumper (Pocket Dimension; Immediate Preparation Required, 10 minutes, -45%; Improved, +10%; Larger Size 2, +20%; Sorcery, -15%) [70]...
Yeah, I also think it is very pricy. Having a magical tent should not cost so much, but its good for higher levels. At level 11 it cost 100 points (which is bought as a sorcery spell for only 20 points) and it has a radius of 12 yards, that is pretty big and last for 5 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorenant View Post
Is there a reason DR can't be used as barrier? Something like DR (Limited, Weather; Force Field; Affect Others; Area Effect; Persistent)? I'm not entirely sure Persistent fits here so maybe an affliction that grants DR vs weather? Not exactly a "tent" but if DR is a valid way of doing this it might serve.
DR does not protect against hazards, only damage. It won't stop temperature changes or fog and such. Plus you would need enough DR to negate what ever damage the weather can do.

Who knew tents were so expensive!

Last edited by zoncxs; 11-04-2020 at 07:49 PM.
zoncxs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 09:35 PM   #19
Anthony

The normal way for creating a barrier that stops ordinary stuff is Innate Attack 1 (Crushing; Area +50%, Persistent +40%, Extended Duration (Permanent) +150%, Wall +60%, Rigid) [20], or [4] as an alternate ability. That's a DR 3/HP 1 wall, which is plenty to do the job of a tent.
Old 11-05-2020, 02:37 PM   #20
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The normal way for creating a barrier that stops ordinary stuff is Innate Attack 1 (Crushing; Area +50%, Persistent +40%, Extended Duration (Permanent) +150%, Wall +60%, Rigid) [20], or [4] as an alternate ability. That's a DR 3/HP 1 wall, which is plenty to do the job of a tent.
The one problem with using that to make a 'tent' is that you either need something else to make a door, have no door and are open to animals coming in, or you're going to have trouble breathing if you leave no openings. This is mostly pretty minor, though.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sorcery