Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-27-2020, 06:18 AM   #1
jacobmuller

Default (ultratech-horror) Can they still taste your fear in Nanostasis?

I don't know if it's come up before, and it's pretty weird but, would something in Nanostasis be edible?
1: only if revived.
2: yes, but flavourless & hard to digest.
3: yup, although a fridge would be cheaper?
TQ 😁
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 06:22 AM   #2
Anders

Default Re: (ultratech-horror) Can they still taste your fear in Nanostasis?

I would say 1. Your cells are encased in nanomachines and preservatives. So unless you can eat nanomachines and preservatives, no.
Old 08-27-2020, 07:14 AM   #3
ravenfish

I'd go with 2. All the biological matter is still there, so if you aren't poisoned by the preservatives and the nanites, and your digestive system's ability to break things down is stronger than the nanites' ability to keep things in stasis, you should theoretically be able to get at nutrients.
Old 08-27-2020, 07:18 AM   #4
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenfish View Post
I'd go with 2. All the biological matter is still there, so if you aren't poisoned by the preservatives and the nanites, and your digestive system's ability to break things down is stronger than the nanites' ability to keep things in stasis, you should theoretically be able to get at nutrients.
I'd allow it with Universal Digestion, not otherwise.
Old 08-27-2020, 02:37 PM   #5
Aldric

They can chop you up but, unless they can reverse the process, there is not much they can do with the pieces.
Aldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 03:40 PM   #6
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobmuller View Post
I don't know if it's come up before, and it's pretty weird but, would something in Nanostasis be edible?
1: only if revived.
2: yes, but flavourless & hard to digest.
3: yup, although a fridge would be cheaper?
TQ 😁
Depends how you think nanostasis works. I would assume the nanotech is inedible but nontoxic, but it's rather probable that it gets combined with freezing anyway, in which case you probably do need to thaw them to eat them.

Now, on the topic of the question implied by the title of the thread, I would assume people who are neither conscious nor dreaming are incapable of feeling fear, so unless people in nanostasis can dream (which isn't very realistic but it's horror so realism might get tossed) things that eat fear would not find victims in nanostasis very appealing, and would prefer to wake them up to allow properly terrorizing them. Of course, if victims in nanostasis can dream, a bunch of people who are dreaming and unable to wake up would be lots of fun for a horrible nightmare monster.
Old 08-28-2020, 02:02 AM   #7
jacobmuller

Thank you.
The setup is: 300ish yrs ago, alien invasion but 1st they use bio warfare. Initially mistaken for mad cow disease. End of - recovery of lost areas finds people from 300yrs ago.
The bio agent acted 1st as rabies, then preservative/ bioroid, ie rage zombies died of exhaustion/thirst, then revived by the same bionanotech that killed them and programmed to go to collection point.
Some infected didn't rage&die - just went into storage mode. 300yrs in a basement, dreaming, with Elder Beings wandering around waiting to eat you, then you get rescued.
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bio-tech, horror, space, ultra tech